Sam Cooke

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Anyone know of any other tracks Sam Cooke has done that could be Northern apart from Sugar Dumpling

Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Can somebody tell me the title of a trakc by him,that sounds alot like "sweet soul music",ive got it somewhere?,on a album,dont wanna` find it,take me forever whistling.gif ,some body please,so i dont have to drudge through piles of albums :lol:

Social source share

Can somebody tell me the title of a trakc by him,that sounds alot like "sweet soul music",ive got it somewhere?,on a album,dont wanna` find it,take me forever :lol: ,some body please,so i dont have to drudge through piles of albums :thumbsup:

Ken, it must be "Oh yeah", on the "Shake" LP :

shake.jpg

Social source share

Ken, it must be "Oh yeah", on the "Shake" LP :

shake.jpg

Dunno` mate?,mine is one of them later RCA things,showcasing Sam,blue RCA,green border,on the front,with 3 pictures of him on the front,any chance of a sound bite?,then i let you know!!.

Social source share

Guest Adam G

Ear velvet :ohmy: On the commercial front (with the exception of Jackie & Otis) there's none better imo. :P

Have to agree though I do think he edges over all others.Ive always said if he had recorded the Yellow pages I would still buy it!

Fantastic voice just fantastic even on shmaltzy show tunes.

Of course his essential one to get is

"live at the Harlem Square club" which sat untouched till release in 85 gives an insight to just what a live singer he was.

Social source share

Have to agree though I do think he edges over all others.Ive always said if he had recorded the Yellow pages I would still buy it!

:ohmy::P

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest claude rains

:shhh::wicked:

Totally agree, one of my faves, soul wise not in the same bracket for his time in late 50's as curtis mayfield. In my opinion one of the few creating early soul mixing harmonies and gospel with strings and brass, cookes main output was more 50's & 60's R&B, but a still fantastic voice.

A lot of respect for his political ideals, friends with Malcolm X and Ali.

He was also one of the first black musicians to gain the rights to his own songs . For the first time giving himself artistic independance from the record companies mainly white, he had once recorded for.

He appeared on prime time chat shows, singing his songs, usually coverded and performed by white pop combo's of the day.

In doing so he was changing the american publics veiw of black music.

Like all black music I think the struggle for equality and the passion of these singer song writers, such as cooke, gaye, holiday, etc has given us music that stands the test of time.

One of my fave songs of all time and one of his that is very soulful and still relevant, "A change gonna come", says it all really.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!