King George On Midtown

WATCH OUT .... there were 2 or 3 guys who used the KING GEORGE name ..........

... there was even a guy based in Sweden BUT he was actually a transplanted American who had used the name first back in the States.

I seem to recall previous threads about one or more of the KING GEORGE's .........

........... A BIT OF AN OLD POST I MADE ......... 

Don Gardner started something with his "My Baby Likes to Boogaloo" in late 1966. Although it wasn't a big hit, it garnered covers by the likes of the Emperors in the US and King George in Sweden. Of Puerto Rican parents, musician Pete Terrace was a natural for Boogaloo style cuts & he even titled himself 'King of the Boogaloo'.

AND CHECK OUT THIS OLD THREAD ..... 

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

never booted steve, covered up by keb as the chessmen - i'm through

Hi Trev,

I know it was covered as that because that's what I wrote on the sleeve when I got it, in fact I must have had it covered too at the time Keb was playing it... however, it just looks suspicious for some strange reason. Can't remember where I got it from or the history behind it.

Thanks for all the info from everyone though. :hatsoff2:

Steve

Social source share

Hi Trev,

I know it was covered as that because that's what I wrote on the sleeve when I got it, in fact I must have had it covered too at the time Keb was playing it... however, it just looks suspicious for some strange reason. Can't remember where I got it from or the history behind it.

Thanks for all the info from everyone though. :hatsoff2:

Steve

Dave Raistrick told me that he had a stack of the King George on Midtown and they wouldn't sell and he thought he would be stuck with them. Next thing he knows Keb has covered it up and started playing it and the lot went :)

Social source share

Dave Raistrick told me that he had a stack of the King George on Midtown and they wouldn't sell and he thought he would be stuck with them. Next thing he knows Keb has covered it up and started playing it and the lot went :)

Maybe that's where I got it from then Chalky. Obviously used to live near Dave and would often pop down once a week to acquire the latest 45's... however, I still simply don't recall buying, ordering, receiving King George at all. Normally I can remember something about the records I've bought over the years but not this. Strange huh :g:  

Steve

Social source share

I had this on another label "REV", Gold in colour a few years ago, sold it to Johnny Weston. Looked like the real deal, same take as the Midtown release.

Des Parker

Not seen one of those, Des, did you keep a scan...would love to see it!

Social source share

Maybe that's where I got it from then Chalky. Obviously used to live near Dave and would often pop down once a week to acquire the latest 45's... however, I still simply don't recall buying, ordering, receiving King George at all. Normally I can remember something about the records I've bought over the years but not this. Strange huh :g:  

Steve

Seem to remember these being advertised for sale in the classified ads in black echoes during the 80's.

Social source share

Have both of his on REV, had the Midtown too but no point keeping it as was an identical recording and the REV one looks so much better, the other one on REV, "Shing-a-ling Baby" is even better than "I'm through", esp Part 2 on the flip, the names of his backing bands on these are great, the Mischief Lads and the Timps

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!