List Of All The Songs Copied By 60S Bands To Make Their Names

Guest son of stan

In Andrew Loog Oldham's excellent autobiography (is it called 'Stoned'?) there's a description of how the Rolling Stones recorded some of their early records...Apparently they did them by playing along to the original US  recordings...So they're on 4 track and you isolate the first track and its Irma Thomas singing, 'Time Is on My Side' or whatever. Don't know if this is true or not but it is in print!

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

Guest uroffal

In Andrew Loog Oldham's excellent autobiography (is it called 'Stoned'?) there's a description of how the Rolling Stones recorded some of their early records...Apparently they did them by playing along to the original US  recordings...So they're on 4 track and you isolate the first track and its Irma Thomas singing, 'Time Is on My Side' or whatever. Don't know if this is true or not but it is in print!

There's a great story about how the Stones, fresh from recording their first album, went to the Twisted Wheel - Roger Eagle then played each track in order ... by the original artist :D

Social source share

From a British perspective, you may as well just print the NME singles and album charts from the early 60s onwards!

There must be 1,000s of cover versions from that period.

BEAT ME TO IT THE THREAD WOULD GO ON AND ON AND ON AND ON A BIT LIKE 1/3 OF A HUNDRED IN DECIMAL FIGURES

KEV

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

although i prefer the Moody Blues version 

That's an important point. They were mostly excellent versions done by excellent musicians. And those musicians were normally very respectful of the original artists.

All in all I think the publicity that the original artists got did more for MOBO than if the cover versions had never been done.

Possibly the most covered "soul" artist was Arthur Alexander.

Anna - Beatles

Soldier of Love - Beatles (not sure if it was ever recorded)

You'd Better Move On - Rolling Stones

Every Day I Have To Cry - Dusty and others

Burning Love - Elvis

But as the writer he probably did very nicely.

My least liked cover of the whole 60's was probably Sam Cooke's Wonderful World as done by Herman's Hermits. :ohmy:

MB

Edited by MBarrett
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Anna - Beatles

MB

Some on here doubtless won't like this - but it makes me go weak at the knees. :D

Social source share

yep theres a lot but every once in a while on the radio you hear an original version that you didnt know about .like the Orlons ..    dont throw your love away ..

was groovy kind of love  an  original by who ??

Wiki says by Diane & Anita, very minor hit, MIndbenders probably picked up on it from a publishers demo

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

there must be so many of them ,they cleaned up .

There must be 1,000s of cover versions from that period.

Leaving aside fillers on LP's and EP's I doubt whether you'd find more than 15 or so that made a major impact on the charts.

I'm happy to be proved wrong :D

I'll give you Stay and Just One Look by the Hollies.

Later in the 60's Love Affair covered Robert Knight's Everlasting Love

I don't know if you include Baby Please Don't Go by Them and Little Red Rooster by the Stones.

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

There was Twist & Shout and Do You Love Me by Brian Poole & the Tremeloes.

But I don't think we're at 15 yet!! (major chart successes I mean) :D

Edited by MBarrett
Social source share

some originals i could never bear to listen to again ,such as earl gene - something good , ruined by others .

as eric burdon once said  the records had no relevance to the yanks until they had done the journey back and forth across the pond.

Social source share

Leaving aside fillers on LP's and EP's I doubt whether you'd find more than 15 or so that made a major impact on the charts.

I don't know if you include Baby Please Don't Go by Them and Little Red Rooster by the Stones.

Think you're right. Spencer Davis Group had a No1 with Keep On Running and another hit with Somebody Help Me, but Stevie Winwood wrote their best 2 singles Gimme Some Lovin' and I'm A Man. 

Social source share

The thread is called "List of all the songs copied by 60s bands to make their names".

Shall we start with The Beatles?

As far as chart action is concerned, define 'major impact'. In my view anything on 45 that made the top 40 back then had 'major impact'. As for albums, shall we start with The Beatles?

Social source share

Here are a couple that made their names with cover versions.

Wayne Fontana & the Mindbenders - Um, Um, Um, Um Um, Um

Lulu - Shout

Also, The Hollies breakthrough into the top 20 wasn't Stay or Just One Look but a cover of The Coasters - Searchin'

Social source share

A quick flick through the NME top 30 singles charts has been quite enlightening, and lots of fun. (Am I the only one who gets real pleasure from going through reference books?)

With my limited knowledge, I'm sure to have overlooked loads, but here's 15 that made the top 30 from 1963 to just early April of the following year. I've given what I think is the highest position, but as it's a manual compilation, I'm probably wrong on lots of them.

Kenny Lynch - Up on the roof - 16

Julie Grant - Up on the roof - 20

The Beatles - Twist & Shout - 4

Brian Poole /Tremeloes - Twist & Shout - 5

Brian Poole /Tremeloes - Do you love me - 1

Dave Clark Five - Do you love me - 25

The Hollies - Searchin' - 10

The Beatles - Anna / Chains - 24

Bern Elliot & the Fenmen - Money - 16

The Hollies - Stay - 8

The Searchers - Needles & pins - 4

The Swinging Blue Jeans - Hippy hippy shake - 2

Cilla Black - Anyone who had a heart - 1

The Hollies - Just one look - 3

The Swinging Blue Jeans - Good golly miss Molly - 11

Of course, this is only from the top end of the charts. The real number of cover versions from this time must actually be quite staggering. Anyone know if there's a reference book/site?

Social source share

...i'm often surprised at Boot Sales as to how many 'covers' I come across by 60's bands on B sides etc! This one I found last year....I take them home to listen.....they either become frizbees...or stay in me box adjacent to the originals! Many of the above mentioned I have in my 60's collection and deserve a spot! This hasn't been mentioned........but it made the box......!x

The above appears to be 'live' and is different to the 7"....but I liked the footage of folk and stuff...X

Off to find some nuggetts at the Boot Sale!!x Have a happy day...X

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

A quick flick through the NME top 30 singles charts has been quite enlightening, and lots of fun. (Am I the only one who gets real pleasure from going through reference books?)

With my limited knowledge, I'm sure to have overlooked loads, but here's 15 that made the top 30 from 1963 to just early April of the following year. I've given what I think is the highest position, but as it's a manual compilation, I'm probably wrong on lots of them.

The Hollies - Stay - 8

Of course, this is only from the top end of the charts. The real number of cover versions from this time must actually be quite staggering. Anyone know if there's a reference book/site?

Definitely one or two in there that had gone under my radar. Obviously I am bit biased in favour of those great British bands of the 60's - but happy to be educated as well. :D

A very interesting topic IMHO and don't want to get picky HOWEVER where did you get the Beatles releasing Twist & Shout and Anna as singles. I don't get  that at all. 

(OK I get Twist & Shout now - an EP which got in the singles chart) Still struggling with Anna.

Also, perhaps I misinterpreted the title of the thread. I assumed it meant covers of Black soul artists which is where my 15 came from. If we get into Black Rock & Rollers (Little Richard) White Rock & Rollers (Chad Romero) White Other (Jackie de Shannon) I agree definitely going to be more.

Edited by MBarrett
Social source share

The Rolling Stones "It's All Over Now" written by Bobby & Shirley Womack & first recorded by The Valentinos must be one of the most successful cover tunes - it was Mick & the boys first number one !!! 

Edited by epic
Social source share

The Hollies - Stay - 8

Not sure why Needles And Pins and Hippy Hippy Shake would be included.

Social source share

A very interesting topic IMHO and don't want to get picky HOWEVER where did you get the Beatles releasing Twist & Shout and Anna as singles. I don't get  that at all. 

(OK I get Twist & Shout now - an EP which got in the singles chart) Still struggling with Anna.

Also, perhaps I misinterpreted the title of the thread. I assumed it meant covers of Black soul artists which is where my 15 came from. If we get into Black Rock & Rollers (Little Richard) White Rock & Rollers (Chad Romero) White Other (Jackie de Shannon) I agree definitely going to be more.

Anna & Chains featured on the Beatles No1 EP, which, as stated, reached number 24 in the charts.

Looking back, I can't see any rider that says cover versions have to be on singles only. Nor do I see any rules that state the original versions have to be 'soul'. Have another read of the thread title and opening post. I think perhaps you're being a little too anal.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Back on topic...

Dusty Springfield - I Just Don't Know What... is a cover of Tommy Hunt on Scepter?

I never realised that either. So it's not even lunchtime and I already learnt a few new things. :thumbup:

A nice version BUT I still think Dusty edges it. Sorry! :D

What a darling she really was . . . .

https://youtu.be/pO8FlHi1uyg

Edited by MBarrett
Social source share

The Rolling Stones "It's All Over Now" written by Bobby & Shirley Womack & first recorded by The Valentinos must be one of the most successful cover tunes - it was Mick & the boys first number one !!! 

the stones did a better version as the original was too clunky and disjointed .

i have it on SAR 

Social source share

i have to mention Lou Johnson and his version of  Always something there to remind me. a brilliant record .

Lou CDs seem pretty rare and i lent  this record to a galfriend and she nicked it and i never could find a Lou Johnson CD with it on ,pity ...

Johnson signed to its successor label, Big Hill, and continue to record Bacharach and David songs. In 1964, his original version of "(There's) Always Something There to Remind Me", with backing vocals by Doris TroyDee Dee Warwick, and Cissy Houston, reached # 49 in the US charts

aka 'The herpes song '

Edited by sceneman
Social source share

i have to mention Lou Johnson and his version of  Always something there to remind me. a brilliant record .

Lou CDs seem pretty rare and i lent  this record to a galfriend and she nicked it and i never could find a Lou Johnson CD with it on ,pity ...

Johnson signed to its successor label, Big Hill, and continue to record Bacharach and David songs. In 1964, his original version of "(There's) Always Something There to Remind Me", with backing vocals by Doris TroyDee Dee Warwick, and Cissy Houston, reached # 49 in the US charts

aka 'The herpes song '

Ace Records did a superb Lou Johnson cd a couple of years ago with all of his best known stuff and some unreleased versions too

Social source share

Guest son of stan

yep theres a lot but every once in a while on the radio you hear an original version that you didnt know about .like the Orlons ..    dont throw your love away ..

was groovy kind of love  an  original by who ??

I don't know who did it first, but Patti Labelle and The Bluebells, was the US hit, and the version covered by The Mindbenders wasn't it?

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

"Always Something There To Remind Me" -  Lou Johnson -                                   Sandi Shaw

"This Beautiful Night" - Jimmy Thomas -             (Lets spend The Night together)  Rolling Stones close rip off!

Um,Um,Um,Um,Um - Major Lance -                                                                        Wayne Fontana.

I Can't break The News To Myself" - Ben E King -                                                  Tom Jones.

Oh No Not My Baby" - Maxine Brown                                                                      Manfred Mann

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest CARL D

The Action's 1966 cover(produced by George Martin), of The Temptations-Since i lost my baby original from '65

Social source share

...i'm often surprised at Boot Sales as to how many 'covers' I come across by 60's bands on B sides etc! This one I found last year....I take them home to listen.....they either become frizbees...or stay in me box adjacent to the originals! Many of the above mentioned I have in my 60's collection and deserve a spot! This hasn't been mentioned........but it made the box......!x

The above appears to be 'live' and is different to the 7"....but I liked the footage of folk and stuff...X

Off to find some nuggetts at the Boot Sale!!x Have a happy day...X

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

Mentioning 'B' sides. The St Louis Union recorded 'Respect' on the back of 'Girl', which in itself was a cover of the Beatles track.

Social source share

"Always Something There To Remind Me" -  Lou Johnson -                                   Sandi Shaw

"This Beautiful Night" - Jimmy Thomas -             (Lets spend The Night together)  Rolling Stones close rip off!

Um,Um,Um,Um,Um - Major Lance -                                                                        Wayne Fontana.

I Can't break The News To Myself" - Ben E King -                                                  Tom Jones.

Oh No Not My Baby" - Maxine Brown                                                                      Manfred Mann

Lets Spend The Night came out 2 years before Jimmy THomas..

Social source share

The Action's 1966 cover(produced by George Martin), of The Temptations-Since i lost my baby original from '65

The Action also did a good version of Baby You Got It.  Did Hey Sa Lo Ney and Land Of 1000 Dances too. Though their best record was Shadows And Reflections, I think that was a cover too, got played on the NS scene, forgot the band but it was on MGM (The Lonely Crowd?)

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Womack wasn't happy about giving the tune away under his record companies insistance.....until the royalties started rolling in.

dean

Social source share

Bacharach and David's, Any Day Now, Chuck Jackson was covered by Elvis.

Great tune that, Chuck's I mean.

The Original Beat Ballard!

Edit: Don't know if this fits the criteria of the tread, thinking about it, as obviously Elvis was a big star by 69.

Edited by MrsWoodsrules
Social source share

Womack wasn't happy about giving the tune away under his record companies insistance.....until the royalties started rolling in.

dean

I think he got his own back on his record "Nothing you can do" which nicks The Stones "Satisfaction" riff as it's intro

Social source share

There is a complete genre i come across whilst rummaging which covered 'Soul' & Rock N Roll stuff throughout the 60's ......the Embassy records!x I see them all over and there are some decent covers of tracks by all kinds of club singers and B artistes of the day! Here's one of the few Motown covers they did....thankfully....hehe!! But at least u've heard it!!!x

Rare record methinks....

Joan Baxter and the Beatmen!!

...i've heard most of the series over the years....and this is the best outta the bunch as far as a 'cover' goes! A rare record in its own right and sits nicely alongside the Ventures!x

Steve stannard & His Orchestra....but on some foreign label?!

...off to launch me boat..........!x

LUV
SOOTY
X

....walk don't run?...sink or swim.....hehe!x

@@
~

Social source share

There is a complete genre i come across whilst rummaging which covered 'Soul' & Rock N Roll stuff throughout the 60's ......the Embassy records!x I see them all over and there are some decent covers of tracks by all kinds of club singers and B artistes of the day! Here's one of the few Motown covers they did....thankfully....hehe!! But at least u've heard it!!!x

Rare record methinks....

Joan Baxter and the Beatmen!!

...i've heard most of the series over the years....and this is the best outta the bunch as far as a 'cover' goes! A rare record in its own right and sits nicely alongside the Ventures!x

Steve stannard & His Orchestra....but on some foreign label?!

...off to launch me boat..........!x

LUV

SOOTY

X

....walk don't run?...sink or swim.....hehe!x

@@

~

Sooty, you'll see Emabassy's everywhere because this was Woolworth's own label, they covered every top 10 hit from the late 50's up until around 1965 I think.  Some people actually collect full runs of these!

Social source share

The Action also did a good version of Baby You Got It.  Did Hey Sa Lo Ney and Land Of 1000 Dances too. Though their best record was Shadows And Reflections, I think that was a cover too, got played on the NS scene, forgot the band but it was on MGM (The Lonely Crowd?)

It's actually spelled The Lownly Crowde

Originally by Eddie Hodges and there's a cracking baroque style version by the Byzantine Empire. Some pics of the record and the group in this previous thread

Social source share

.....Woollies???!!!!! I've took the bu**ers home for years 'hoping' and never knew they were Woolies tunes!!!hehe! Nice 1!x I'll admit to keeping about 10...! The Typhoons do a few good Shadows covers and The Starlings do alright with Phil Spectre stuff....this being me favourite!x

I like being innocent and learning Pete....it makes me laff too....thanx!x........now......Woollies.......i'll go see f they sell 'em still.....!x

@@
~

LUV
SOOTY
X

Social source share

In my opinion, 99% of UK covers of R&B / soul songs are total crap.

How anyone who says they like soul can put the Moody Blue's abysmal version of "Go Now" above Bessie Bank's classic version is totally beyond me.

Most acts were just using existing hit US tunes to get a 'head start' in getting themselves into the UK charts. Many times it was the producers fault, they took a US song and cut it on the next act they had in the studio.

From 1962 (say) through to around 1968, R&B / soul was the 'in-flavour'. Just about every UK act filled their live act with covers of US tunes. Artists such as the Searchers, Hollies, Amen Corner, the Move, Simon Dupree and millions more would trot out awful versions of "Open The Door To Your Heart", "The In Crowd", "Knock On Wood" and hundreds more. 

Many folk wax lyrical about the cuts made by the Walker Brothers. I hate just about every cover this transplanted US act cut here, the original versions of the songs they took into the charts were ALWAYS better (IMO).

A few UK acts cut covers as they really admired the original US versions which had largely gone unnoticed by the UK record buying public (coz gudol Auntie BBC would always play the UK cover ahead of the US original from 1960 to the start up of Radio One). 

A guy (who again IMO) did pay homage to the originals with his version was Georgie Fame. He cut loads of covers, though he usually only intended his version to be a LP track that reflected what songs he was performing live at the time (his record company sensing bigger sales, did otherwise).

MY NOMINATION for a track where a UK artist (Georgie Fame) cover was better than the US original (Gene McDaniels) is this .........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5867K7iSUo

Social source share

In my opinion, 99% of UK covers of R&B / soul songs are total crap.

How anyone who says they like soul can put the Moody Blue's abysmal version of "Go Now" above Bessie Bank's classic version is totally beyond me.

It's one of the exceptions.  Bessie Banks version sounds like an unfinished demo.  Just because it's the black version doesn't make it the best.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

...nicely put Roburt...and in general I agree not many Black voices can be emulated or bettered...X You have surprised me with your Georgie Fame plug tho'!!!x If u consider that 'acceptable' to your pallet....what about this.....which i think hits a groove for me.....but in NO WAY better than Ray.....!x

LUV

SOOTY

X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd5Rft_HsNc

Don Charles' version is imo way better than Long John's; closer to the perfection of Ray's and maybe a better dancer. Joe Meek is reputed to have claimed that Don was the best vocalist he ever produced.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!