Dance Styles - Does Northern Soul Offer Some The Best?

Whilst watching Britain's Got Talent this evening (Not out of choice I must say, it was just the better choice out of that or Eastenders) I was watching some of the street dance and I thought to myself 'to be honest anyone with enough training could do that.' Whereas, most weekends most of us go out and see some wonderful dancers who have taken years to learn and perfect their dancing. I find that the way we dance is a way that can't be taught, our dancing is a way of life like our music. There truly are some wonderful dancers and for me there is no comparison between a load of jumped up teenagers doing the robot and a true soul-boy dancing to Sandi Sheldon, dancing in time, singing all the words and doing his acro in all the right places. Although most popular modern dance styles like Northern Soul dancing come from traditional jazz dance do we offer the best in style and actual 'talent'?  :g:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Is this a joke, whilst the scene has had some truly great dancers these days thats the exception rather than the norm.

I'm with Andy on this one. The scene has had some great dancers, some good dancers, lots of average dancers and some shite dancers. Obviously, I was brilliant mesen. :wicked: What sets the soul scene apart in my view is the love of the music - not some purist pursuit of perfect dance moves.

As for the the "acro" or tricks as they used to be callled - I fecking hated all that shit, and was pleased when the majority of people knockeed it on the head. If I'm honest I was shit at "floor work" anyway.

I am sure there will be many that disagree.

Peter

:thumbsup:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Is this a joke, whilst the scene has had some truly great dancers these days thats the exception rather than the norm.

Totally agree Andy, watching (on youtube) some of the dancers who get to the later stages of dance competitions the standard can be appalling.

I'm thinking that even though I've never been any good, have two left feet, dodgy knees & ankles & old & creaking bones to contend with I could still have a chance :yes:

Some of them look like a dad at a wedding dancing to agadoo ...........there are of course some brilliant dancers as well :thumbsup:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I'm with Andy on this one. The scene has had some great dancers, some good dancers, lots of average dancers and some shite dancers. Obviously, I was brilliant mesen. :wicked: What sets the soul scene apart in my view is the love of the music - not some purist pursuit of perfect dance moves.

As for the the "acro" or tricks as they used to be callled - I fecking hated all that shit, and was pleased when the majority of people knockeed it on the head. If I'm honest I was shit at "floor work" anyway.

I am sure there will be many that disagree.

Peter

100% with you the time long gone for theatrical acrobatics especialy badly done by middle aged peeps who arent that bendy anymore.Still a few old boys and girls out there with nice footwork,but they are gettin thin on the ground.

Social source share

Guest Byrney

I find now that on the nostalgia scene there are many who do a formulaic walk from side to side interspersed with a few rehearsed bits of floor work and then back to the walk. Oh and a few hand jives type hand movements. looks awful IMO and so easy to do.

You do see the odd good dancer though, the best IMO are those who have the maturity to combine different elements from dances styles from all eras, bit of shuffling from Mecca, Cleggy, circular movements ( best way I can clumsily describe it) from Stafford era etc.

I also like to see some people completely doing their own thing (I'll see some of this at Inner City Soul Saturday) without a flying f##k for tradition.

Social source share

I find now that on the nostalgia scene there are many who do a formulaic walk from side to side interspersed with a few rehearsed bits of floor work and then back to the walk. Oh and a few hand jives type hand movements. looks awful IMO and so easy to do.

You do see the odd good dancer though, the best IMO are those who have the maturity to combine different elements from dances styles from all eras, bit of shuffling from Mecca, Cleggy, circular movements ( best way I can clumsily describe it) from Stafford era etc.

I also like to see some people completely doing their own thing (I'll see some of this at Inner City Soul Saturday) without a flying f##k for tradition.

Must agree with you there on the best are those who have the maturity to combine different elements from dances styles from all eras, doesn't get much better and a bit of mecca shuffling can look great  :thumbsup: 

Social source share

The consumption of shed loads of gear also had a significant effect in terms of how we perceived our own dancing skills and the moves of others on the floor. :shades: I am obviously reminiscing.

Peter

Edited by Peter99
Social source share

The people on our Scene ‘feel’ the music - The people on ‘the telly show you mentioned’ DO NOT.

That’s it mate.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

Yes, Len, feel and connect, with the music and each other. Our brothers and sisters.

Peter

Edited by Peter99
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

makes you wonder if there was a baggy trouser/beer towel/vest/full circle skirt etc 40+aged troop on BGT dancing to footsee what the judges would think........

mind you the queen might know footsee....lol.

:facepalm:

I'm blushing at the thought Russ.

:(

:)

Peter

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Quite agree about the dance floor walkers - a couple of yards (oops metres) in one direction, bit of a shuffle, turn round and penguin waddle across the ice back again. What's all that about?

However what I really can't stand are the thankfully few dancers who have perfected their cabaret act - not generally northern dancing at all - who will only dance to their hopefully admiring audience in the middle of the dance floor when it is empty to get everyone's attention.

Sadly we have to accept that arthritic limbs do get in the way sometimes - but enthusiasm and love of the music win for me over artistic style

Your middle paragraph made me smile as it reminds me of the first (& last time) I took my older sister to a Northern Soul do.

It was early on in the night, & no one was dancing, then this one girl gets up & dances. My sister nudges me, & says "ooh look at her, she doesn't half love herself, dancing there on her own, look at her" (the girl didn't love herself as it happens, she was simply dancing to the music) I almost wet myself laughing, & explained to my sister that Soul folk do dance on their own (granted, I wouldn't have taken to that empty dancefloor like she did, but that's only cos I'm a shxt dancer lol)

Regards

Ali

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think more than not those kids on tv worked hard and feel they are doing there best .......... :) ,they also would think Northern Soul being an odd way to dance :lol: , so give them some slack , i dance how i feel as never went to Wigan or any Northern soul nights although i came from where it all started  ,went to live away for 20yrs ,introduced to it 4yrs ago , first it took a while get my head around the sounds , but now grown to love it ,.

Being mostly over 50 i think most dance well , did not know it was a competition ,

I do well to dance at all, had to learn how walk proper after being seriously ill . I admire anyone who gets up and has a go as long as they are harming no one . leave it alone . :hatsoff2:

Social source share

The people on our Scene ‘feel’ the music - The people on ‘the telly show you mentioned’ DO NOT.

That’s it mate.

All the best,

...wot Len sez!!!!x

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

...the cameraman I took this night had never been to a Northern gig in his life. He was absoutely gobsmacked that everbody danced alone!! He had seen a film as a kid....and thought that's what he was coming to watch and film......the film??....Grease!!! Jiving is wot he was looking for!!!hehe!! As a then 24 year old.....he went home totally content and considered the below one of his favourite captures!x Nice 1 Matt...X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDLhOcFA_lo

....Edit....can't get the utube to show in the post....dunno why?!x Soz!x

Edited by SOOTY
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I can honestly say no one dances like me  :ohmy: ,as for tradition nope, more of a Cab Calloway style  :lol:  :yes:

Bazza  :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I think more than not those kids on tv worked hard and feel they are doing there best .......... :) ,they also would think Northern Soul being an odd way to dance :lol: , so give them some slack , i dance how i feel as never went to Wigan or any Northern soul nights although i came from where it all started  ,went to live away for 20yrs ,introduced to it 4yrs ago , first it took a while get my head around the sounds , but now grown to love it ,.

Being mostly over 50 i think most dance well , did not know it was a competition ,

I do well to dance at all, had to learn how walk proper after being seriously ill . I admire anyone who gets up and has a go as long as they are harming no one . leave it alone . :hatsoff2:

Dont think anyone is discourageing anyone from danceing or saying its a competition.The thread starter asked did the northern scene offer a good class of dancer some obviously think it does and some not.

Social source share

Dont think anyone is discourageing anyone from danceing or saying its a competition.The thread starter asked did the northern scene offer a good class of dancer some obviously think it does and some not.

Okay then , I prefer to watch the ones who make it there own, rather than a set pattern . I also like to see people dancing to slow as well as the really fast ones , to me they are the ones who have it right . Don't much like all the acrobatics ,a little ,but not every few seconds . .I have my favourites to watch when i am out ,they are usually the ones who been doing it since it began . to me they are natural and keep me watching . ...Some of the footwork reminds me of some of the skinhead moves we did before it all started . :thumbsup:

Social source share

Although most popular modern dance styles like Northern Soul dancing come from traditional jazz dance do we offer the best in style and actual 'talent'?  :g:

IMHO I don't think so..  It's BBoys.  (Check out this clip and see what the kids of today are capable of  - Meno is just feckin' unbelievable - And yes, they teach it.) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s0pmCYyUdU

Also the BBoy crews in Asia seem to be in a league of their own.  But we have skilled dancers in the UK also (one's called Sunni).

But Northern Soul dancing is not about the offering 'best style' and actual talent is it?  As Len says, its about 'feeling it'.

And that's why people move to the music... any damn way you feel like.

(I'm now off to GoGo, where i'll be mostly stepping from side to side and falling on my arse....)    

Edited by dave2
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Okay then , I prefer to watch the ones who make it there own, rather than a set pattern . I also like to see people dancing to slow as well as the really fast ones , to me they are the ones who have it right . Don't much like all the acrobatics ,a little ,but not every few seconds . .I have my favourites to watch when i am out ,they are usually the ones who been doing it since it began . to me they are natural and keep me watching . ...Some of the footwork reminds me of some of the skinhead moves we did before it all started . :thumbsup:

Would agree  with most of that,the acrobatics was a very 70s thing for slim athletic teenagers not middle aged men who cant quite pull it off.Agree with phil the ladies have definatley aged far more gracefully than us fellas.

Social source share

Would agree  with most of that,the acrobatics was a very 70s thing for slim athletic teenagers not middle aged men who cant quite pull it off.Agree with phil the ladies have definatley aged far more gracefully than us fellas.

I also agree with Phil  :yes::) .

Social source share

Quite agree, it doesn't really matter does it, as long as they're having fun? On the other hand who hasn't watched and thought "they're listening to a different tune to me!"

the worst dancers that ive seen are the pretend baggy trouser/vest wearers, not ALL mind but defo most imo

as you say seem to dance to a different record(most probably dancing to duffy/mercy in there mind), and when they shuffle....embarrassing :wub:

mind you ive given up dancing...lol

Edited by russoul1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Acrobatics can be fantastic when done as they should be - 'IN TIME WITH THE RECORD THAT IS ACTUALLY PLAYING!'…..and naturally - It can be a pleasure to watch if it comes across as being ‘effortless’. It must feel fantastic to do that ‘burst’ of energy at the right point in a record — What a ‘release!’ (Not a performance at a West End Show!)

I agree, in general defo a young man’s game — I have heard stories ‘from my Gran dad’, that back in ‘the’ day, when ‘the moment’ arrived, almost everyone on the dance floor would suddenly drop, to do some floor work — That must have been a fantastic site!

I don’t think acrobatics should be written off entirely, purely for the few people who ‘can do’, and enjoy doing so.

All the best,

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Acrobatics can be fantastic when done as they should be - 'IN TIME WITH THE RECORD THAT IS ACTUALLY PLAYING!'…..and naturally - It can be a pleasure to watch if it comes across as being ‘effortless’. It must feel fantastic to do that ‘burst’ of energy at the right point in a record — What a ‘release!’ (Not a performance at a West End Show!)

I agree, in general defo a young man’s game — I have heard stories ‘from my Gran dad’, that back in ‘the’ day, when ‘the moment’ arrived, almost everyone on the dance floor would suddenly drop, to do some floor work — That must have been a fantastic site!

I don’t think acrobatics should be written off entirely, purely for the few people who ‘can do’, and enjoy doing so.

All the best,

Its a very rare sight these days to see acrobatics done well,but each to there own.

Social source share

Great post.....except.....you may want to drop "the ones who make it there own"....Not that there's anything wrong in it what’s so ever, and I quite agree......but….. every week, at least one of the judges says it on the show ‘in question’

You may well be the first person ever to quote “make it there own" (it don’t matter if you’re not)....Unfortunately they have over used and ruined such a nice meaningful sentence….I am angry as I type — Not at you, at them! (I hasten to add!)

For purely this reason, I suggest from now on we say - He / She dances ‘uniquely’ :)

......Was this really worth typing out? (I ask myself) Well it’s done now, so I’ll post it - I’m just kidding wid ya btw :wink:

All the best,

Social source share

Its a very rare sight these days to see acrobatics done well,but each to there own.

Christ not in 'The Den' it's not (at Rushden Bowls Club on June 15th)....That's all we do in there! (honest :):wink:) You should come along mate.........

You're right it is rare, and I'm not particularly knocking anyone who does acrobatics that may not 'look' so good - If they get that 'release' of energy, are feeling the music and enjoying themselves - They can do what they bloomin' well like! (See rule 16a in the Northern Soul Rule Book :D)

All the best,

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Great post.....except.....you may want to drop "the ones who make it there own"....Not that there's anything wrong in it what’s so ever, and I quite agree......but….. every week, at least one of the judges says it on the show ‘in question’

You may well be the first person ever to quote “make it there own" (it don’t matter if you’re not)....Unfortunately they have over used and ruined such a nice meaningful sentence….I am angry as I type — Not at you, at them! (I hasten to add!)

For purely this reason, I suggest from now on we say - He / She dances ‘uniquely’ :)

......Was this really worth typing out? (I ask myself) Well it’s done now, so I’ll post it - I’m just kidding wid ya btw :wink:

All the best,

Made me laugh :wicked: i will say instead , like to see folks dancing there own dance and not all the same . :thumbup:

Social source share

Made me laugh :wicked: i will say instead , like to see folks dancing there own dance and not all the same . :thumbup:

Wow - You have a sense of humour! :lol:....You obviously noted I ‘over’ compensated ‘(just in case)...I have been ‘burnt’ before on here…all part of the fun :D

…….I could go on (so will)…….. :rofl:

…….I actually have what I call a ‘Shudder list’ of words / phrases ‘in my head’, that for various reason have been ruined (for me at least :D)….. I will share a small selection for your entertainment (there are loads! :D)

1. ‘45’s’ (They’re just called records)
  2. ‘The Flip’ (‘Other side’ is now correct)
  3. ‘Cheapie’ (I know what records are worth - To earnest)
  4. ‘My Copy’ (referring to a record they ‘just bought twenty years ago’)
  5. ‘Books at £? in Manships guide’ (Read it once now experts - there not bloody used cars, and it’s ‘John’ Manship)
  6. ‘Proper’ (‘Proper’ people don’t use the word ‘Proper’)
  7. ‘Box’ (Sorry but to many referrals to it e.g — “I’m a dusty old record collector”)

N.B - For those who don’t have a sense of humour — the above is ‘just a bit of fun’ (kind of….. :D)

…….I don’t sleep much.

All the best,

P.s - Feel free to add to the ‘Shudder List’ folks…….or is it just 'me that ‘thinks like me'?......yes….. :huh: 

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Wow - You have a sense of humour! :lol:....You obviously noted I ‘over’ compensated ‘(just in case)...I have been ‘burnt’ before on here…all part of the fun :D

…….I could go on (so will)…….. :rofl:

…….I actually have what I call a ‘Shudder list’ of words / phrases ‘in my head’, that for various reason have been ruined (for me at least :D)….. I will share a small selection for your entertainment (there are loads! :D)

1. ‘45’s’ (They’re just called records)
  2. ‘The Flip’ (‘Other side’ is now correct)
  3. ‘Cheapie’ (I know what records are worth - To earnest)
  4. ‘My Copy’ (referring to a record they ‘just bought twenty years ago’)
  5. ‘Books at £? in Manships guide’ (Read it once now experts - there not bloody used cars, and it’s ‘John’ Manship)
  6. ‘Proper’ (‘Proper’ people don’t use the word ‘Proper’)
  7. ‘Box’ (Sorry but to many referrals to it e.g — “I’m a dusty old record collector”)

N.B - For those who don’t have a sense of humour — the above is ‘just a bit of fun’ (kind of….. :D)

…….I don’t sleep much.

All the best,

P.s - Feel free to add to the ‘Shudder List’ folks…….or is it just 'me that ‘thinks like me'?......yes….. :huh: 

I will have to think about that one . :g:

Social source share

...wot Len sez!!!!x

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

...the cameraman I took this night had never been to a Northern gig in his life. He was absoutely gobsmacked that everbody danced alone!! He had seen a film as a kid....and thought that's what he was coming to watch and film......the film??....Grease!!! Jiving is wot he was looking for!!!hehe!! As a then 24 year old.....he went home totally content and considered the below one of his favourite captures!x Nice 1 Matt...X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDLhOcFA_lo

....Edit....can't get the utube to show in the post....dunno why?!x Soz!x

Now she is a very good dancer in that clip.

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

...At least they look smart in their jackets..... :D 

Sorry :rofl: 

boom boom :lol:

Social source share

Think the original post asks if "we offer the best in style and talent".........I still see some cracking dancers when I'm out and you can tell the people who went to the clubs BITD.....they stand out a country mile from those who didn't. 

For me NS is dance music to be enjoyed by those of us that get up to the tunes that we like, regardless of how many other people are on the floor or what any wall flower makes of our style.

There are still some talented stompers, and shufflers....and also some great acrobats....Carl Piper & Tommo to name two .......and the style/ styles are unique....peculiar to our scene and unlikely to and never intended to be compared to or to compete with other styles from other genres.

As to the style coming from "jazz dancing" don't think that's right, it comes from the blues clubs and earlier Afro-Carribean styles.

I'd also rather see people get up and give it a go, than sit there slagging everybody else off.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Byrney

When's back in the day? 60s 70s 80s 90s 2000....?

My comment relates to some of those who may have gone for a few years in the 70s if that counts as back in the day. When I started late 78 loads did this walking dance, hand jivey thing (including me for a year or so) we see many doing now at nostalgia nights. Can't remember seeing it from the 80s onwards until recently when many returned after a few decades and for me they stand out but not for the right reasons. Sorry if you see it as slagging people off but it's my opinion of a dance style thats recently returned that I don't like.

As far as giving it a go, I do on a regular basis. But my heads not going to fall off if someone thinks I look crap, which has happened on the odd occasion, especially from one lady from Nottingham who takes great delight in letting me know - who will remain nameless :)

But on a positive note, at Inner City Soul Saturday there was one lady who turned on a Mecca type shuffle to Ike Strong. One of the best dancers I've seen in years, faultless.

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

Theres still plenty of very good dancers on the soul scene, both young and old. People who feel the music and can actually move to it how they want to. My experience is that the better nights for music generally attract the better dancers.

I'm a young lad and in my own opinion was getting fairly good at my footwork, but in the last 3-4 months ive not really done much dancing or practicing at home or out and about. It's amazing how quick you get out of practice, my feet cant move half as fast as I would like! Haha. So god help those 2-3 times my age who only go out once every 3 month's!

Ps can anyone link to some of the different styles of footwork on the scene from YouTube? Cheers

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!