Desmond Dekker R.i.p

Guest Netspeaky

Guest Netspeaky

Reggae legend Desmond Dekker has died suddenly from a heart attack, his manager has announced. The 64-year-old Jamaican, best known for his 1969 hit Israelites, collapsed at his Surrey home.

Manager Delroy Williams said the performer had seemed fine when they met a day earlier.

"It is such a shock. I don't think I will ever get over this," he said, adding that Dekker led the way for reggae stars such as Bob Marley.

"Desmond was the first legend, believe it or not. When he released Israelites nobody had heard of Bob Marley - he paved the way for all of them."

The star was divorced with a son and daughter.

Peaceful

He had been due to perform at the Respect Festival in Prague on 2 June, and numerous dates across Europe during the summer.

His last concert was at Leeds University on 11 May.

"He was at his peak fitness, he had this big tour coming up for this summer and he was looking forward to it - and then that was it," Mr Williams said.

"He died peacefully but it still hurts. I was his manager and his best friend. I don't think anyone knew how close we were - we go back so far."

He added: "I didn't even get the chance to say goodbye properly."

Chart-topper

Dekker was born on 16 July 1941 in Kingston, Jamaica, and began his working life as a welder before turning to singing full-time.

_41689870_dekkerbbc203ok.jpg Dekker's hits included Israelites, It Mek and 007 (Shanty Town) His band Desmond Dekker and the Aces topped the UK charts with Israelites, which also made the US top 10.

He moved to the UK in the '70s, later recording the hit You Can Get It If You Really Want, written by Jimmy Cliff.

The musician's popularity waned in the late '70s and '80s, and Dekker was declared bankrupt in 1984.

But a new version of Israelites was released in 1990 and used in television commercials, boosting the star's popularity.

Edited by Netspeaky
Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

OK, so I know it's not soul related, but that's why it's in Freebasing. Very sad news all the same........

From www.bbc.co.uk

Reggae legend Desmond Dekker has died suddenly from a heart attack, his manager has announced.

The 64-year-old Jamaican, best known for his 1969 hit Israelites, collapsed at his Surrey home.

Manager Delroy Williams said the performer had seemed fine when they met a day earlier.

"It is such a shock. I don't think I will ever get over this," he said, adding that Dekker led the way for reggae stars such as Bob Marley.

"Desmond was the first legend, believe it or not. When he released Israelites nobody had heard of Bob Marley - he paved the way for all of them."

Peaceful

He had been due to perform at the Respect Festival in Prague on 2 June, and numerous dates across Europe during the summer.

"He was at his peak fitness, he had this big tour coming up for this summer and he was looking forward to it - and then that was it," Mr Williams said.

"He died peacefully but it still hurts. I was his manager and his best friend. I don't think anyone knew how close we were - we go back so far."

Chart-topper

Dekker was born on 16 July 1941 in Kingston, Jamaica, and began his working life as a welder before turning to singing full-time.

Dekker's hits included Israelites, It Mek and 007 (Shanty Town)His band Desmond Dekker and the Aces topped the UK charts with Israelites, which also made the US top 10.

He moved to the UK in the '70s, later recording the hit You Can Get It If You Really Want, written by Jimmy Cliff. The musician's popularity waned in the late '70s and '80s, and Dekker was declared bankrupt in 1984. But a new version of Israelites was released in 1990 and used in television commercials, boosting the star's popularity.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

OK, so I know it's not soul related, but that's why it's in Freebasing. Very sad news all the same........

From www.bbc.co.uk

Reggae legend Desmond Dekker has died suddenly from a heart attack, his manager has announced.

The 64-year-old Jamaican, best known for his 1969 hit Israelites, collapsed at his Surrey home.

Peaceful

Chart-topper

Dekker's hits included Israelites, It Mek and 007 (Shanty Town)His band Desmond Dekker and the Aces topped the UK charts with Israelites, which also made the US top 10.

He moved to the UK in the '70s, later recording the hit You Can Get It If You Really Want, written by Jimmy Cliff. The musician's popularity waned in the late '70s and '80s, and Dekker was declared bankrupt in 1984. But a new version of Israelites was released in 1990 and used in television commercials, boosting the star's popularity.

Desmond was a completely unique artist, much more so than his overpraised contemporary, the late Bob Marley. It's really a shame that he was percieved of as being something of a 'novelty' performer by the public at large, perhaps due to the impenetrability of the lyrics of "Israelites" and "A It Mek" to the untutored ear. In reality, he was responsible for some of the greatest Rocksteady records of all time - records like "It Pays", "007", "Pretty Africa", "Hanging Tree", "Mother Pepper", "Personal Possession", there are just so many of them...

Equated in soul terms, this is about the equivalent of losing someone of the stature of Smokey Robinson. Hardcore reggae collectors the world over will be in deep mourning today over this incalculable loss. Myself included....

TONY :ohmy:

Social source share

Very sad. Has given me a lot of pleasure over the years and gigged a lot over here and on the mod/scooter ralllies a fair bit. When I was getting into soul and ska his music really lifted me. The soulful side of reggae. Will be sorely missed - RIP fella.

Rich

Social source share

Very sad. Has given me a lot of pleasure over the years and gigged a lot over here and on the mod/scooter ralllies a fair bit. When I was getting into soul and ska his music really lifted me. The soulful side of reggae. Will be sorely missed - RIP fella.

Rich

A sad loss indeed R.I.P. Desmond.

Social source share

Gutted at this sad news, saw him in Brighton last year and he put on anm amazing live show. excellent musician/artist, will be missed.

Social source share

Gutted at this sad news, saw him in Brighton last year and he put on anm amazing live show. excellent musician/artist, will be missed.

Yes sad sad news..I think it is soul related with so many of us on the ska/rocksteady tip along with soul...Desmond was the man for me and many others in the youth club days..L

R.I.P...

Steve

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

Desmond was a completely unique artist, much more so than his overpraised contemporary, the late Bob Marley. It's really a shame that he was percieved of as being something of a 'novelty' performer by the public at large, perhaps due to the impenetrability of the lyrics of "Israelites" and "A It Mek" to the untutored ear. In reality, he was responsible for some of the greatest Rocksteady records of all time - records like "It Pays", "007", "Pretty Africa", "Hanging Tree", "Mother Pepper", "Personal Possession", there are just so many of them...

TONY :shades:

Well said Tony. I saw him in around '86 at the Boston Arms in Tufnell Park (same place as the Capitol Soul Venue, different room I think) and he was fantastic. RIP shades.giflaugh.gif

Social source share

I didn't think there was much point in sending up The Israelites or It Mek or 007 as everyone knows them but you may enjoy these two, the first is a frantic and pretty joyous ska outing called This Woman which came out on Island in 64...the second is from three years later and is a mellow rocksteady tune called Unity. Have a listen, hope you like them, RIP Desmond.

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

R.I.P Desmond.

I met the man several times, always friendly, and danced on stage with him at a gig in Huddersfiled and the old Duchess of York pub in Leeds many years ago - much to the roadies annoyance!

Ste.

Social source share

I booked Desmond Dekker for the venue I was running around 1994, The Stage Door in Scarborough.

The rider was very specific, including a bottle of Remy Martin Brandy. As we were a small venue with a maximum capacity of 150 (legally...) it was a tough gig as, due to the price of the band, accommodation etc, the best we could hope for was to break even on the door and have a good bar take. I talked it over with the owner who, eventually said f*ck it Paul, if it means that much to you, just do it.

The band arrived around 2pm to sound check and be shown to the hotel. Desmond's manager and MC, Delroy did the vocal check while Desmond went to the hotel to rest. I was shocked at how small and frail he seemed and, to be honest was really concerned about how the performance was going to go.

Meanwhile, the band were getting stuck into the refreshments and by 7 o'clock it was clear that while the rest of the musicians were drinking beer, the Remy was actually for Delroy and he'd pretty much destroyed it. The air in the dressing room was thick with err.. 'incense" and by now I was getting really worried. Delroy however - despite having the reddest eyes I've ever seen this side of a zombie movie - was all smiles and and assured me it was going to be a great show.

9pm - the place is full and everybody is getting into the rocksteady and dub sounds from the house sound system. The band hits the stage half an hour later, without Desmond but with Delroy MCing and really winding up the crowds anticipation. After a couple of numbers, Desmond appears, wearing a combat shirt and his trade mark beret, walking through audience to riotous applause, cheers, handshakes and pats on the back. He climbed on stage and something truly amazing happened:

He seemed to grow about a foot in staure. It was as though he sort of unfolded like a newly hatched butterfly stretching it's wings for the first time. His face was lit up in a sweet smile.. and then came the voice. I'm not ashamed to say I was in tears. You could feel the electricity in the room as the hits and lesser known songs flowed, all equally received by a crowd as ecstatic as I've ever witnessed.

The rest of the evening is a bit of a blur now to be honest but the run up to the gig and then Desmond's appearance on stage is a memory that's indelibly stamped into my brain.

Probably the finest gig I ever put on.

RIP Desmond.

Godz

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

saw him live at camber sands a few years back , dancing away with my youngest daughter on my shoulders , magical moment ..... sad news indeed

Davie

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

His music always takes me back to 1979. Along with northern, ska and rocksteady were the theme tunes to that year. laugh.gif Thanks for giving me great school days Desmond. :ohmy:

Social source share

Reggae legend Desmond Dekker has died suddenly from a heart attack, his manager has announced. The 64-year-old Jamaican, best known for his 1969 hit Israelites, collapsed at his Surrey home.

Peaceful

Chart-topper

_41689870_dekkerbbc203ok.jpg Dekker's hits included Israelites, It Mek and 007 (Shanty Town) His band Desmond Dekker and the Aces topped the UK charts with Israelites, which also made the US top 10.

He moved to the UK in the '70s, later recording the hit You Can Get It If You Really Want, written by Jimmy Cliff.

The musician's popularity waned in the late '70s and '80s, and Dekker was declared bankrupt in 1984.

But a new version of Israelites was released in 1990 and used in television commercials, boosting the star's popularity.

R.I.P to the great man..And what a man...

The twin LP album...DOUBLE DEKKER on Trojan..I played it to death in the early seventies...

Social source share

well, i thought this would never affect me that much but growing up to the sounds of d.d. you happened to take him for granted. a bit like a distant uncle (except i don't have any jamaican blood...).if you didn't see him on stage that week, you would the next...

probably the first voice of early jamaican music i ever heard, and appreciated, introducing me to the world of jamaican music, paving the way for a lifetime passion. such an under rated artist - gosh k. you are so right, yes "fu manchu" is the ultimate, pure soul, anybody should get it on the web or on a stupid trojan rds re-re-re-re-re-release, but do get it and wail along, and be amazed and in awe. what a voice, what a career, what commitment (who would play almost every week around the world in their 6t's???)(probably didn't have the choice either... there's never been such a thing as a pension scheme at trojan rds in spite of the billions they made out of him).

gutted i am really. this guy was so close to his fans, so humble. no pretence. no fame absurdity.

thumbsup.gif

Edited by freddie fred
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!