The Truth About Cover Ups

I said it with a smile Chalky. I'm only suggesting what the reaction might be, that's all. If someone put a different name on something that I'd gone to pains to produce I personally wouldn't be very happy. Just saying. 

Ian D :D

I know you did Ian.  I simply don't see how some can liken a DJ playing a forty year old second hand record in another country 1000's of miles away the same as the record industry that ripped the artist off. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I said it with a smile Chalky. I'm only suggesting what the reaction might be, that's all. If someone put a different name on something that I'd gone to pains to produce I personally wouldn't be very happy. Just saying. 

Ian D :D

I know you did Ian.  I simply don't see how some can liken a DJ playing a forty year old second hand record in another country 1000's of miles away the same as the record industry that ripped the artist off. 

I've just released a whole new set of cd's under the Backbeats banner. :wicked:

Sorry Ian, couldn't resist than one.

Peter

:lol:

Edited by Peter99
Social source share

Chalky - Have you ever met Betty Lavette? I picked her because Ive interviewed her and she would not be pleased to say the least of it! One of her band turned up with some chips and she wasnt a happy bunny about the smell so I could just imagine her having abee in her  bonnet about this subject. Heres a quote from her #THe only thing the music industry owes me is MONEY# It was a tense moment I can tell you!

Social source share

Chalky - Have you ever met Betty Lavette? I picked her because Ive interviewed her and she would not be pleased to say the least of it! One of her band turned up with some chips and she wasnt a happy bunny about the smell so I could just imagine her having abee in her  bonnet about this subject. Heres a quote from her #THe only thing the music industry owes me is MONEY# It was a tense moment I can tell you!

Yes I have met her and I know a few tales about her too.  She stopped with mates of mine when she came over here to perform.

Again, a DJ forty years later on another continent playing a second hand record isn't the industry is it that has ripped her off!!  

Social source share

Its a small thing in the scheme of it but from small acorns as they say!

What about the issue of covering up?

AS I said what if you had designed /written/recorded  something and it had taken considerable effort to get the finished product only to find that some smart alec was passing it off as something else. Last time I noticed a record had copyright. If not fool them!

I actually received  a settlement of about a thousand pounds many years ago as a band had used 90% of the lyrics on an lp track were written by me.

Social source share

Yes I have met her and I know a few tales about her too.  She stopped with mates of mine when she came over here to perform.

Again, a DJ forty years later on another continent playing a second hand record isn't the industry is it that has ripped her off!!  

Reality is (and I know you know this) there isn't going to be a credible cover up of a major or come to that semi-known recording artist at this stage. All of their records are well known to collectors etc. The only c/ups tend to be of complete unknown / lesser known acts who by definition didn't sell beans (hence relative scarcity). We're a million miles from Willie Hutch or Betty Lavette records being covered up...

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest martyn

Reality is (and I know you know this) there isn't going to be a credible cover up of a major or come to that semi-known recording artist at this stage. All of their records are well known to collectors etc. The only c/ups tend to be of complete unknown / lesser known acts who by definition didn't sell beans (hence relative scarcity). We're a million miles from Willie Hutch or Betty Lavette records being covered up...

Steve, wasn't Willie Hutch's 'The Duck' covered up ?

Social source share

We know that Steve, others don't....off to do something more productive.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!