Documentary On Northern Soul

Guest UnbelievableJeff

Guest UnbelievableJeff

Hi all,

I am part way through completing a college project which will actually be the last ever one I do before I finish. I am on a Level 3 Media (TV & Film) Course and am doing a documentary on the Northern Soul scene in my home town of Stoke On Trent. I am not extremely au fait with the scene but it is something I am extremely fascinated by, which is why I chose it as the subject to base my documentary on. If I could ask you a few questions and I get a few responses then that would be fantastic.

1) Where do you live?

2)  How did you get into Northern Soul?

3) Where do you believe Northern Soul originated from? (Through my research I have found many different theories)

4) Do you have any interesting memorabilia that you are proud to own?

5)  What do you know of Northern Soul in Stoke On Trent? 

6) Do you have any particular memories of visiting The Golden Torch? 

Thank you for your time, it is much appreciated.

Social source share

• Replies 3
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi all,

I am part way through completing a college project which will actually be the last ever one I do before I finish. I am on a Level 3 Media (TV & Film) Course and am doing a documentary on the Northern Soul scene in my home town of Stoke On Trent. I am not extremely au fait with the scene but it is something I am extremely fascinated by, which is why I chose it as the subject to base my documentary on. If I could ask you a few questions and I get a few responses then that would be fantastic.

1) Where do you live?

The South

2)  How did you get into Northern Soul?

By being a Mod first

3) Where do you believe Northern Soul originated from? (Through my research I have found many different theories)

Twisted Wheel, Manchester

4) Do you have any interesting memorabilia that you are proud to own?

Yes, Records

5)  What do you know of Northern Soul in Stoke On Trent? 

A bit

6) Do you have any particular memories of visiting The Golden Torch? 

Not a one

Social source share

Hi all,

1) Where do you live? West Yorkshire

2)  How did you get into Northern Soul? Through a friend (I was into Motown at the time)

3) Where do you believe Northern Soul originated from? (Through my research I have found many different theories) The music from small labels and artists in the States, The term from Dave Godin

4) Do you have any interesting memorabilia that you are proud to own? Yes Flyers, member cards, Badges

5)  What do you know of Northern Soul in Stoke On Trent?  The Torch (first ever Northern soul venue I attended)

6) Do you have any particular memories of visiting The Golden Torch?  Yes, the electric atmosphere when first walking in. The dancers. Martym Ellis (DJ)

Social source share

1) Where do you live? - The South (20 miles north of London)

2) How did you get into Northern Soul? Saw some 'dancers' at a club in Watford, all in black, some with a single black leather glove. Was already into Soul and was at the club to watch a soul artist, which I guess is why the dancers were there. My interest grew from that night and explored who they were and why they dressed and danced differently. The rest is history.

3) Where do you believe Northern Soul originated from? (Through my research I have found many different theories) The term was coined by Dave Godin a writer for the Blues & Soul magazine I believe. My investigations (see above) all led me to somewhere up north, but there was a certain 'underground' element to it so cannot say for sure.

4) Do you have any interesting memorabilia that you are proud to own? Records, Badges, Baggies, damaged/aching joints and a piece of the toilet wall from the Catacombs club in Wolverhampton.

5) What do you know of Northern Soul in Stoke On Trent? Nearly made the last night of the Torch in Tunstall and do attend current all nighters now at Kings/Queens hall?

6) Do you have any particular memories of visiting The Golden Torch? Missed it but was the icon venue at the time along with the Twisted Wheel in Manchester and I'm sure a raft of others

Good luck with your submission.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert