100 Club Early Days Questions

Guest uroffal

My first one was in '82 and think they'd been going for maybe a year before that?

Seem to recall them starting at 1am, there was Trad Jazz on until about 12, then the place would be cleared- some of us used to go in beforehand sometimes and watch the trad jazzers just before it ended.

Bar was open til 3am selling alcholol I think

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Can anyone remember that God awful cafe in Carnaby St we all used to go to afterwards? Sold the worst sausage in a bap I've ever had - stone cold and sliced up to look posh :D

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Was Mcdonalds on corner of Tottenham Court Road at first then we moved to that awful place in Carnaby St LOL he must have made a fortune out of us lot.

Social source share

Can anyone remember that God awful cafe in Carnaby St we all used to go to afterwards? Sold the worst sausage in a bap I've ever had - stone cold and sliced up to look posh :D

There were not many I knew and knocked around with in the 80's that would have even looked at a sausage bap - never mind tackled one. :no:  :(  :sweatingbullets:

You must have been one of the few good boys! 

:P

Peter

• Helpful 2
Social source share

My first visit was '82, sure it was a 1.a.m start, used to get the last train to London at about 11.30 from High Wycombe. I seem to remember getting some nosh just across the road around 7a.m.ish, a little snack bar, croissants or something like it!?. Mucky Dee's came a  couple of years later when a coffee was needed!

Social source share

Was it not a 1.30am start until recent years? Back in the day, bar was open and serving booze until 3am, would close for half an hour or so to satisfy licensing regs before reopening serving soft drinks only until close of business at 8am?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Seem to recall them starting at 1am, there was Trad Jazz on until about 12, then the place would be cleared- some of us used to go in beforehand sometimes and watch the trad jazzers just before it ended.

I remember needing a p*ss near to the point of an accident  and about 12:30 the door lasses let me in as long as I came straight out. Standing at the urinal a chap who not only looked like Chloe Lane, but was doing a bloody good impression of her, told me I be cool man and grow my hair!

Social source share

Yes Mark correct. I went to every one until about 1983/4 and then only periodically for the next couple of years and more of less stopped going due to family commitments, with only occasional visits.

I'll try and post up some old Blackbeat reviews at some stage.....I reviewed all of the clubs (Henris, W Hampstead, Last Chance and 100 Club as well as the 6Ts Thames boat trip) at the time.

Social source share

I was still in my twenties when I first went '83, what the hell would I want beer for ?!?

The reason I asked is because I seem to remember sitting on the stage talking to Ian Clarke and he said what more could you want 'fantastic music, great company, the bar still open & Bananarama in the house' (they were propping up the wall just to the left of the stairs)

Social source share

Guest uroffal

There were not many I knew and knocked around with in the 80's that would have even looked at a sausage bap - never mind tackled one. :no:  :(  :sweatingbullets:

You must have been one of the few good boys! 

:P

Peter

:D

Social source share

Guest uroffal

LOL it was a pretty surreal experience from memory, but then I'm sure they'd have said the same had they hung around for the nighters

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

The reason I asked is because I seem to remember sitting on the stage talking to Ian Clarke and he said what more could you want 'fantastic music, great company, the bar still open & Bananarama in the house' (they were propping up the wall just to the left of the stairs)

Siobhan's my cousin and I brought them down with me that night after a big night out, to tell the truth I was a bit embarrassed by them dancing in a jiving style, but shuvs was a proper soul girl before she went punk, from harpenden used to go to the Cali ballroom back in the day.

Social source share

Was it not a 1.30am start until recent years? Back in the day, bar was open and serving booze until 3am, would close for half an hour or so to satisfy licensing regs before reopening serving soft drinks only until close of business at 8am?

Do you remember that snack bar Mark that we used to go to?, me you and fiddler!? :elvis:

Social source share

Guest uroffal

I liked bananarama I did. :wicked:  :yes:  :) Never saw them at a niter though. :(

Peter

I bet you did :D Think I missed that night too :( used to get a fair few chart acts in there though Mick Talbot (Style Council) who's brother was a regular at one time the guys from Jo Boxers, wasn't the lass out of Swing Out Sister in occasionally too

Social source share

I liked bananarama I did. :wicked:  :yes:  :) Never saw them at a niter though. :(

Peter

I think the Debonaires - Headache In  My Heart (Solid Hit) sounds like Bananarama (and their other records where there is no lead as such)  :D

Sorry - Bananarama sound like the Debonaires!!  :ohmy:

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Guest uroffal

I remember the Jo Boxers at the 100. I can remember my divvy mates wearing boxer boots when they went in the town when they were charting :lol:

Loads of the Mod kids wore them down here around the same time - they looked so sh*t :D

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Not as bad as those loafers and other shoes with Grolsch bottle tops that Bros used to wear!

Richard

Christ they are bad, I don't even remember those I must have blocked it out - this is turning into a worst footwear thread :D

Edited by uroffal
Social source share

Guest uroffal

what about them moccasins that looked like slippers oh and 'Kung Fu' slippers they were cool (think I saw a pair in Office the other day so they prob back in 'fashion' :/

Social source share

Yes Mark correct. I went to every one until about 1983/4 and then only periodically for the next couple of years and more of less stopped going due to family commitments, with only occasional visits.

I'll try and post up some old Blackbeat reviews at some stage.....I reviewed all of the clubs (Henris, W Hampstead, Last Chance and 100 Club as well as the 6Ts Thames boat trip) at the time.

Ahhhh......Blackbeat..........so many fond memories thank you Steve. Mick Webb flogging them at nights. Brilliant. Just wish I'd kept them........ :(

Social source share

I remember the Jo Boxers at the 100. I can remember my divvy mates wearing boxer boots when they went in the town when they were charting :lol:

I remember them being pretty regular down there. Mick Talbot as well in those early years.

Social source share

what about them moccasins that looked like slippers oh and 'Kung Fu' slippers they were cool (think I saw a pair in Office the other day so they prob back in 'fashion' :/

Kung Fu slippers should only be worn for Kung Fu training - and never for fashion!  :yes:

Proper King Fu slippers enable the martial artist to develop true feeling in the feet - including balance - but also strong, accurate and powerful kicks (anyone can kick reasonably hard in trainers), and at a high level can ensure soft feeling and automatic reflexes to defend and counter attacks.

Cheers  :thumbsup:

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Guest uroffal

Kung Fu slippers should only be worn for Kung Fu training - and never for fashion!  :yes:

Proper King Fu slippers enable the martial artist to develop true feeling in the feet - including balance - but also strong, accurate and powerful kicks (anyone can kick reasonably hard in trainers), and at a high level can ensure soft feeling and automatic reflexes to defend and counter attacks.

Cheers  :thumbsup:

Richard

And they look f*cking stupid unless you Mr Miyagi :D

Social source share

Guest uroffal

That's Karate mate  :boxing:  

I knew you was gonna say that, I should have said Hong Kong Fuey then we could have had the debate about the Phantom Janitor cover up again

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Good answer!  :hatsoff2:

I think the moderators will close this thread down by morning, it's gone that far off topic :D

Social source share

Ion always used to take great delight in having and runny egg sandwich there much afterwards to everyone's disgust.

Dx

PS I used to wear KF slippers - they were great when you could still get the cotton only soles, nice and slippery - but then all you could get was the rubberised ones which were useless.

Edited by DaveNPete
Social source share

Ahhhh......Blackbeat..........so many fond memories thank you Steve. Mick Webb flogging them at nights. Brilliant. Just wish I'd kept them........ :(

Mick Webb aka "Cockney Mick" aka "Dead Eye Dick" was my biggest salesman back then.....he took 50 of each issue, and always flogged em all.....amazing really.

Saw him last year with his missus, he's still about, but obviously getting on a bit now....had a nice chat with him at Farnborough when the good burgers of that town booked me to play at their Football Club knees up.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The bar used to shut at 3.a.m (?) plastic pint glasses ordered 2 at a time! :rofl:

Not if you were drinking in rounds with Roger Stewart it didn't :wicked:  :lol:

Mind you knowing the barmaid Jan Clarke at the time an ex-pat from the West Midlands was also useful :yes:

Dave

Edited by Louise
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

1 am start first, later put back to 1.30 after the jazzers moaned. We rearranged the room before opening the doors. One night we had a battle with a gang from Acton inbetween, Mick, Wid, Roger and I saw them oFf, didn't even need Randy for that.

I don't remember bananarama, jo boxers and shane mcgowan from the pogues were the main celebs who attended regularly

Social source share

Mick Webb aka "Cockney Mick" aka "Dead Eye Dick" was my biggest salesman back then.....he took 50 of each issue, and always flogged em all.....amazing really.

Saw him last year with his missus, he's still about, but obviously getting on a bit now....had a nice chat with him at Farnborough when the good burgers of that town booked me to play at their Football Club knees up.

Last time I spoke to Mick he was gonna sell me his collection of Backbeat,. Wouldn't mind his phone number if anybody has it?....

Never a dull moment knocking around with Mick in the 80's :yes:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I only went a few times in the 82-85 period. We went to McDonalds once but after that we'd go to some Italian cafe close to Charing Cross Road in the morning. Used to get a few of the Blitz kids type crowd in there too.

Social source share

Guest micksoul

I can remember getting up to the 100 late (about 2.30) in 1987 and the bouncers said id be ok to get in but id have to wait 5 minutes so im standing there and Shane Macgowan walked up with a girl on each arm and tried to get in . The bouncers wern't having it and told him he knew why! With that he just crossed the road and toddeld off down Wardour street

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Ion always used to take great delight in having and runny egg sandwich there much afterwards to everyone's disgust.

Dx

PS I used to wear KF slippers - they were great when you could still get the cotton only soles, nice and slippery - but then all you could get was the rubberised ones which were useless.

LOL yes so he did

I remember a white soled one and a hard rubber brown one (I did have a pair but think I only ever wore them out the once) - worn with tracksuit bottoms a lot if I remember rightly :/

Social source share

Guest uroffal

I can remember getting up to the 100 late (about 2.30) in 1987 and the bouncers said id be ok to get in but id have to wait 5 minutes so im standing there and Shane Macgowan walked up with a girl on each arm and tried to get in . The bouncers wern't having it and told him he knew why! With that he just crossed the road and toddeld off down Wardour street

He used to do the cloakroom around about them didn't he '86/87? Or at least was often hanging around in it

Edited by uroffal
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!