100 Club Early Days Questions

LOL yes so he did

I remember a white soled one and a hard rubber brown one (I did have a pair but think I only ever wore them out the once) - worn with tracksuit bottoms a lot if I remember rightly :/

They are back in fashion (or was) with jeans/trousers with an elasticated bottom, Toms I think Ellie refers to them.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Guest micksoul

He used to do the cloakroom around about them didn't he '86/87? Or at least was often hanging around in it

He did the cloakroom before the Pogues broke big , He'd stopped when i started going in late 86
Social source share

PS I used to wear KF slippers - they were great when you could still get the cotton only soles, nice and slippery - but then all you could get was the rubberised ones which were useless.

These are the ones I tend to use. Not sure how good they would be for dancing, but they are great for KF.

Leather soles! Can be pretty slippery on a dry wooden floor. Bit more grip when the floor is covered in sweat.

Cheers

Richard

Click on picture to see full size image

post-12286-0-78374400-1370598992_thumb.j

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

back  on topic i dont recall it even being on the radar in the 60s at all .

The last Chance saloon was virtually opposite and that was a stauch Mod hangout .it may have been a beatnik/jazzy hangout in the early days but dont recall seeing any ads .

The Marqee was also not far away and that had all the big names most nights.if you could afford to get in.

so its early days are something of a mystery although its sure been there a long time ,longer than any other clubs in the area ,which have long gone.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Used to go fairly regularly mid 80s +.

If we caught the train down we'd generally put some Dexies in a matchbox (for the next morning) and hide 'em under a tree in one of the parks on the walk in - could never find 'em the next day.

If I went with Bri Rae we would nip down to the Jazz night beforehand on occassion.

Prob get dropped at Danny's (scary flat - flop bed and a tailors dummy - toliet in the basement three floors down with all the windows smashed) for a later pick up.

I'd stay at a blokes called Cliff White if I got a lift down from someone to London on the Friday day.

Ions warm-ups were they at The Old Ball (???).

Always loved the walk round London in the morning waiting for the first train to Wire which was !2.30pm - always seemed to be sunny. :wink:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest uroffal

I think Bananarama were there by accident rather than design. I do remember one DJ getting in a "lather" about it at the time......"Cor look there's Bananarama Steve!" and making reference to it on his next sales list,

LOL In what way did this help sales?

Edited by uroffal
Social source share

Guest uroffal

They are back in fashion (or was) with jeans/trousers with an elasticated bottom, Toms I think Ellie refers to them.

They a bunch of Tom Tits i know that :D

Social source share

I'd stay at a blokes called Cliff White if I got a lift down from someone to London on the Friday day.

What a fabulous guy, Cliff White. He compiled many a fine album whilst at Charly Records...where Brian Rae, Dave Evison and myself also worked at the time. Cliff was a personal friend of James Brown and had an enormous collection of James' output on 7" and LP...in fact the box set he comp'ed on James for Polydor was widely acclaimed and won awards, as I recall. Very knowledgable, witty and great company...was a privilege to have worked with him.

:)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

What a fabulous guy, Cliff White. He compiled many a fine album whilst at Charly Records...where Brian Rae, Dave Evison and myself also worked at the time. Cliff was a personal friend of James Brown and had an enormous collection of James' output on 7" and LP...in fact the box set he comp'ed on James for Polydor was widely acclaimed and won awards, as I recall. Very knowledgable, witty and great company...was a privilege to have worked with him.

:)

Yeah, belting fella,

His Missus was a bit of a white witch at the time.

His whole front room was kitted out with 7" racking - all over the place - had many a good dig -  and his decks were set up near the bay window.

He had cork walling put in to minimise the noise to the neighbours. :lol:

Social source share

Guest nsoulxx

I've got some pics from there 1983 ish i'll dig them out, one has got justina a mod girl on and a black lad called ian who sometimes dj'd at mod do's and soul do's with eddie pillar

Social source share

Guest nsoulxx

Yes it was mainly jazz and sometimes blues in the 60s but plenty of beat groups too, I think the Animals had a residency there for a while

Do you remember justina the mod girl ady?
Social source share

Guest nsoulxx

I sincerely apologise to everyone i offended with my poorly judged sense of humour but im stuck in the past when we werent so sensitive and people could laugh au things but i accept i need to move into the present and be more polite

Social source share

I sincerely apologise to everyone i offended with my poorly judged sense of humour but im stuck in the past when we werent so sensitive and people could laugh au things but i accept i need to move into the present and be more polite

Offended with a joke about a motorbike?

This lot need help and a sense of humour transplant.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just a tip for next time you crack any more jokes, maybe add a smiley or two? Makes the intention of the post a little nore obvious and hopefully will be taken the way you intended it to be taken. ;)

ATB

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I've got some pics from there 1983 ish i'll dig them out, one has got justina a mod girl on and a black lad called ian who sometimes dj'd at mod do's and soul do's with eddie pillar

Sounds like Ian Jackson. Great lad. Still out and about.

Social source share

Memories...I first went down in 1983 or 84, in the company of Mr Roddy Brass and some other lads from Edinburgh. My first impression was how small it was and the pillars which seemed to constrict the dancefloor, in fact I thought 'great place for a club night, bit cramped for a full all-nighter'. The other surprise was, of course, the sale of booze, which wasn't something you got at all-nighters in the 80s. And I seem to recall a group of Chinese waiters hanging around the place, who I guess worked there as I couldn't imagine they were there for the music! Speaking of which...the early DJs seemed to play a fairly standard set of oldies - There She Goes by the Tymes, Right Track, maybe even Needle in a Haystack etc. Not that I was complaining although Ian Clarke and Ady's sets were much more 'with it' as well as being educational and interesting to my teenage ears. I do recall Tony Rounce getting very annoyed by a lack of dancefloor action during his set even interrupting one record with 'you lot should have your legs broken if you won't dance to this!' The dancefloor regularly filled and emptied through the night as popular sounds were mixed in with stuff that was new or unknown. And indeed celebrities did appear as mentioned before. Mick Talbot in his Style Council 'blazer and flannels' get-up and the Jo-Boxers. I had a brief chat with their lead singer (the Black American guy) and asked him what he thought. His reply was 'this is old music, kinda like what my parents listen to' - so not his thing clearly!

Overall a great experience, although I admit that I did fall asleep at one point!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!