soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 12
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi Mike

if you didnt know already the 12" masterful version is on spirit of philadelphia volume 2 cd out now on expansion

i wouldnt bother with the seven as it it is a bad edit

the 12" took me 16 years to track down

hope that helps cheers sean

I've got the 7" columbia promo,wouldn't say it was a bad edit,any truth in the story the lead singer is evelyn king?

Mick

Social source share

I've got the 7" columbia promo,wouldn't say it was a bad edit,any truth in the story the lead singer is evelyn king?

Mick

sorry i meant bad edit in that it cuts off just when you need to hear the wonderful break in the middle of th etrack

yes its Evelyn King recorded when i believe she was 16

just missed out ona copy of this from mike charlton at morecambe weekend back in 1989!!!!!!

Social source share

sorry i meant bad edit in that it cuts off just when you need to hear the wonderful break in the middle of th etrack

yes its Evelyn King recorded when i believe she was 16

just missed out ona copy of this from mike charlton at morecambe weekend back in 1989!!!!!!

If you listen to the sax break on this you'll see that imho George Michael nicked it for the sax break in 'Careless whisper' whistling.gif:ohmy::lol::lol::lol::P

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

If you listen to the sax break on this you'll see that imho George Michael nicked it for the sax break in 'Careless whisper' :wicked:ph34r.gif:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

...Can't honestly believe that old Panos has ever heard the Gateway record, but it's an interesting comparison. But on the subject of "Northern and Modern Records People Have Nicked", a far more blatant one is Paul Weller's appropriation of the whole tune of The World Column's "So Is The Sun" for the Jam's "Trans Global Unity Express".

I am sure that Paul would never deny this if asked, either....

TONE :D

Social source share

...Can't honestly believe that old Panos has ever heard the Gateway record, but it's an interesting comparison. But on the subject of "Northern and Modern Records People Have Nicked", a far more blatant one is Paul Weller's appropriation of the whole tune of The World Column's "So Is The Sun" for the Jam's "Trans Global Unity Express".

I am sure that Paul would never deny this if asked, either....

TONE whistling.gif

On the Gateway record, i reckon it's a very similar melody but obviously much faster - might dig it out and play it on 33rpm to see if it's the same.

On Paul Weller - did World Column (or the writers) not get credited? I always assumed they were - don't have the PW song so can't check.

Cheers

Steve

...........another one for you

Heartbreak avenue - can't remember who it was by now (Maisonettes or something like that) - very similar to the unissued Motown thing by Earl Van Dyke called 'On the avenue'

Social source share

No Andy, i only know that one, heard it 'last christmas'

You gotta have 'faith' Andy, i know nowt about him :thumbsup:

As you're such a 'father figure' to me maybe i heard it from you :shades:

............i'll get me coat

I've always expected George to cover Smokey's "Cruisin'". whistling.gif

Derek

Social source share

Apparently a St. Louis based singer Dee Dee is on vocals, according to Ralph Tee's very informative sleeve notes that accompany 'The Spirit Of Philadelphia 2' cd comp that includes the 12" version. Lovely track!

Mike

Mick

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

:thumbsup:

On the Gateway record, i reckon it's a very similar melody but obviously much faster - might dig it out and play it on 33rpm to see if it's the same.

On Paul Weller - did World Column (or the writers) not get credited? I always assumed they were - don't have the PW song so can't check.

Cheers

Steve

...........another one for you

Heartbreak avenue - can't remember who it was by now (Maisonettes or something like that) - very similar to the unissued Motown thing by Earl Van Dyke called 'On the avenue'

Hi Steve,

No, no credit given to the World Columm or to its writers. Paul actually got the WC 45 either off me or Ady Croasdell. I can assure the world that there was nothing unconscious about his nick (unlike "Happy Together" by the Jam, the chorus of which is a slightly less blatant borrow from the "Gordon's Gin" theme off the cinema ads of the time!)

I have a feeling that the guy who wrote "Heartbreak Avenue" might have had at least a passing acquaintance with "On The Avenue" - certainly that was already in circulation by the early 80s. Although I think he was probably aiming for a general Motown feel, with a bit of "Baby I Need Your Loving" and a few other things in his general mix. I've always rated it as a soulful pop record, anyway!

TONE

Social source share