What Do You Think Of This? Unknown Track

Evening guys,

So i just stumbled across this rare record in a bunch of old records I had in the shed.

What do you think? 

I cannot find any information about the band or what the track is called apart from the record label Hollich & Taylor which was from Birmingham and written on the label is "Performed & written by The Umpteenth Time"

It probably would of been a one off recording from the 60's.

Here is the video, sorry for the shaky camera and sound quality,

Here is a interesting website I found about the label

https://www.7tt77.co.uk/HOLLICK_AND_TAYLOR.html

Cheers

Liam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMW_ivp27OA

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Evening guys,

So i just stumbled across this rare record in a bunch of old records I had in the shed.

What do you think? 

I cannot find any information about the band or what the track is called apart from the record label Hollich & Taylor which was from Birmingham and written on the label is "Performed & written by The Umpteenth Time"

Cheers

Liam

Hi Liam

It's not for me matey. More of a bluesey/RnB type thing to my - admittedly deaf, ears!

:(

Peter

Social source share

Hi Liam

It's not for me matey. More of a bluesey/RnB type thing to my - admittedly deaf, ears!

:(

Peter

Fair play Peter.

I just posted it up to see what people thought of it as there is something about it I quite like.

Cheers

Liam

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I like it Liam and think many others would too, like Peter says he is deaf lol

Edited by Bearsy
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Thanks Bearsy I agree.

I have definitely heard much worse

Much worse gets played week in week out on the scene and I reckon this getting played at a big venue with great loud sound system would have a few peeps asking what it is, nice find Liam

Social source share

Much worse gets played week in week out on the scene and I reckon this getting played at a big venue with great loud sound system would have a few peeps asking what it is, nice find Liam

Cheers mate.

I could definitely imagine people dancing to this in a big venue, how good would that be eh? :thumbsup:

Social source share

So it's The Umpteenth Time - Look Before You Leap.

They were a band from Tamworth or Coventry. Don't know if they ever had an official release.

The drummer's name was John Smith.

That's all I've got.

You should ebay that, you'll get a lot for it from beat/psych/pop collectors.

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest brivinyl

Evening guys,

What do you think? 

Cheers

Liam

Thanks for sharing Liam.Is this a single sided disc, if not what's the flip like ?

I have a 45 EP on this label (same label design as yours) by the Four Squares, typed song titles and artist and also a black and white picture sleeve. 

Social source share

Thanks for sharing Liam.Is this a single sided disc, if not what's the flip like ?

I have a 45 EP on this label (same label design as yours) by the Four Squares, typed song titles and artist and also a black and white picture sleeve. 

post-1893-0-17878100-1370780342_thumb.jp

Social source share

So it's The Umpteenth Time - Look Before You Leap.

They were a band from Tamworth or Coventry. Don't know if they ever had an official release.

The drummer's name was John Smith.

That's all I've got.

You should ebay that, you'll get a lot for it from beat/psych/pop collectors.

Thanks for the information Pete. How did you find this out?

I think i might sell it just not sure how much for.

Social source share

Nope there are two sides but the other side is not as good in my opinion. I can post it up for you later if you want.

What is the four squares record like you have?

Edited by thfcliam
Social source share

Thanks for the information Pete. How did you find this out?

I think i might sell it just not sure how much for.

I think this is a top track. From the info Pete S has given I've been able to find that John Smith - the drummer - has/had an association (at 2011 at least) with the Oriel Ynys Môn gallery, Anglesey. He'd be around 64-5 now  so there's a definite point of contact. (unless he's died in the last two years).

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think this is a top track. From the info Pete S has given I've been able to find that John Smith - the drummer - has/had an association (at 2011 at least) with the Oriel Ynys Môn gallery, Anglesey. He'd be around 64-5 now  so there's a definite point of contact. (unless he's died in the last two years).

Thanks for the information, very interesting. There is a contact number on the website of the association, it would be good to contact him to see what information he has about the band and track. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

In the right room this could " go ", so thanks for sharing.

Impossible to price it tho', whatever somebody wants to pay for it.

File it under "more than £30, but less than £600" I'd say,

so I'll give you £31 for it ;-)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Like it as an old 60's song but not what I'd expect of a NS one. But as has been said, much worse played week in week out. Not a bad find when all's said n done.

I agree with this, it's just a typical mid 60's UK beat band, albeit a pretty good one.  Wouldn't think it would do anything if played out.  If I was Liam I'd get this up on ebay as an unissued 60's beat acetate.

Social source share

Like it as an old 60's song but not what I'd expect of a NS one. But as has been said, much worse played week in week out. Not a bad find when all's said n done.

I agree its not NS but i was just going through playing some old acetates and test pressings i have and to my suprise i ended up quite liking this, there is just somthing about it, its nearly there. It is kind of soulful at times and you could defiantly dance to it. I think i like some bits of the song more than other bits but overall its a good track. At derby nighter i myself danced to a reggae/soul record in the 2nd rarer room so anything is possible and like someone said maybe it would sound good in a R&b/mod room

Edited by thfcliam
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Yeah probally less than 99 some bands only got ten or so pressed

No that would be acetates, they wouldn't do a ten run on vinyl and the fact that the Four Squares record on the same label even had a picture sleeve means the records weren't just made for band members only.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

No that would be acetates, they wouldn't do a ten run on vinyl and the fact that the Four Squares record on the same label even had a picture sleeve means the records weren't just made for band members only.

Ah ok thanks. Well i dont think it is a acetate it does have a matrix number etched into it. Will have to calk the drummer and find out more

Social source share

I think it would of been a test pressing

Edited by thfcliam
Social source share

I get mixed up with stuff like this Pete. So, it's just a very limited run to produce a few copies which could be sold at gigs - is that right?

Peter

OK..

acetate - 3 or 4 copies usually, made for playback purposes, for the band members, and for rush promotion purposes

demo - advance demonstration copy of a record about to be released

test pressing - a handful made to test the quality of the finished product

private pressing - a small run on a tiny label, often the bands own or the label belonging to a local studio (as in this case)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

OK..

acetate - 3 or 4 copies usually, made for playback purposes, for the band members, and for rush promotion purposes

demo - advance demonstration copy of a record about to be released

test pressing - a handful made to test the quality of the finished product

private pressing - a small run on a tiny label, often the bands own or the label belonging to a local studio (as in this case)

I still think it is a Test Pressing for the studio as it has their label on it but only has a hand written title on it saying "written & performed by The Umpteenth Time" it would have been made on stampers made from the acetate but it did not have proper printed labels on it which it would have done on final pressed copies. I don't know if this was approved by the band and it then went on for pressed copies or if this is a one off and it never went any further.  I don't think it was pressed up cos I cannot find any details on the web.  I shall try calling the drummer. 

Social source share

I still think it is a Test Pressing for the studio as it has their label on it but only has a hand written title on it saying "written & performed by The Umpteenth Time" it would have been made on stampers made from the acetate but it did not have proper printed labels on it which it would have done on final pressed copies. I don't know if this was approved by the band and it then went on for pressed copies or if this is a one off and it never went any further.  I don't think it was pressed up cos I cannot find any details on the web.  I shall try calling the drummer. 

You don't make stampers from an acetate.  I can guarntee you though, if it's on vinyl it is not gonna be a one off.

You couldn't find any details on the web but I did, including that piece that Maslar found (in that one it says they were from Coventry).

If I get can get my books out I'll find the group and tell you who all the other members are and what it says about the record.

Doesn't really matter though does it, it's a rare piece whatever it is.

Social source share

You don't make stampers from an acetate.  I can guarntee you though, if it's on vinyl it is not gonna be a one off.

You couldn't find any details on the web but I did, including that piece that Maslar found (in that one it says they were from Coventry).

If I get can get my books out I'll find the group and tell you who all the other members are and what it says about the record.

Doesn't really matter though does it, it's a rare piece whatever it is.

I did actually find this website earlier also. I have family that worked in an old pressing plant called SRT and they said from an acetate or lacquer which they used to get cut at Abbey Road you made a mother & father or male & female which were the plates as such and then the stampers were made from them that fitted in the presses. They made Test Pressings which was sent to clients for them to approve and then a larger run was pressed but they also said sometimes the band or artiste did not approve it and wanted it cut again at the studio and in that case the vinyl test pressing was a one off. This record must have some connection to SRT as it came from them. Perhaps it was sent to them for some reason? It will be interesting to find out from the band itself.

Edited by thfcliam
Social source share

I did actually find this website earlier also. I have family that worked in an old pressing plant called SRT and they said from an acetate or lacquer which they used to get cut at Abbey Road you made a mother & father or male & female which were the plates as such and then the stampers were made from them that fitted in the presses. They made Test Pressings which was sent to clients for them to approve and then a larger run was pressed but they also said sometimes the band or artiste did not approve it and wanted it cut again at the studio and in that case the vinyl test pressing was a one off. This record must have some connection to SRT as it came from them. Perhaps it was sent to them for some reason? It will be interesting to find out from the band itself.

Yes ok they do cut from acetates but they are sprayed and coated silver and wouldn't be useable as a record like yours after being used for making the plates.

Anyway, enough from me on this subject, this morning it was unknown, now it's not..

Social source share

Yes ok they do cut from acetates but they are sprayed and coated silver and wouldn't be useable as a record like yours after being used for making the plates.

Anyway, enough from me on this subject, this morning it was unknown, now it's not..

Ok Pete thanks will phone the drummer tomorrow and let you know what he says

Social source share

Just a quick update. I still have not got hold of the drummer. I have called the number a few times but he has been out every time. I have left my number but he still has not called back. I am going to try again tomorrow.

Edited by thfcliam
Social source share

I just had a long chat with John Smith the drummer from the band, he was amazed I had the record and he feels it is a test pressing I have because he had about 500 pressed from it with a printed label both sides he is going to send me a scan of  the pressed copies later.

So this was a good find also he said he co wrote it and would been about 1966  and the band use to play on all the USA airbases

Edited by thfcliam
Social source share

• 5 months later...

I have decided to put it up on eBay and I have got quite alot of interest, been offered 200 pounds upfront for it. What are people's opinions should I take it or is it worth more? I'm in two minds as I do like the record myself ... Hard one..

Put it on ebay and leave it there, don't end the auction early, make sure you get a good recording of about two thirds of it up there though, without sound, much less chance of big money!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Put it on ebay and leave it there, don't end the auction early, make sure you get a good recording of about two thirds of it up there though, without sound, much less chance of big money!

Cheers Pete, I put it up for 99p start but with a reserve just too see if it got interest, I do have a lot of watchers on it and some one has offered me £200 upfront but its only had one bid, I do not want to reject the offer and lose a good offer, do you think £200 is a good offer?

here is the link: 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271333095024?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649 

any suggestions?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!