Sherri Taylor, He's The One That Rings My Bell

attachicon.gifsherri taylor1.jpg

Your right Benji, that type face on the PG looks like late 60's, early 70's. Just wrong for a record that came out in the early 60's. Plus so much of the info on it is wrong, looks like a rushed pressing.

I concur.  The font definitely looks like a '70s font.  That font just didn't exist in Detroit pressing plants in the early 1960s.  My guess is that it's a '70s boot, or, possibly (but a lot less likely), a legitimate re-issue, with some participation by the original rights holder.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I concur.  The font definitely looks like a '70s font.  That font just didn't exist in Detroit pressing plants in the early 1960s.  My guess is that it's a '70s boot, or, possibly (but a lot less likely), a legitimate re-issue, with some participation by the original rights holder.

Could it have been done for he beach scene Dave, they have a tendency to change the name slightly and possibly details on the label.

Hi Rob & Mark  could be that the producer did it as a re-issue, PG in the 70's hence the name being the same as his initials. But the the family in Detroit that owed Gloreco also owned the rights to it, so he must have done a deal with them or not and hoped they wouldn't find out. I'm also sure that someone in Detroit told me that the family weren't aware of the other release, so the plot thickens.

I'm sure I wouldn't pay much for a PG copy, all in all something ain't right there. As for Johns valuation, none of us know everything.

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

The Gloreco copies appear to be from one main source, namely Brad. Anyone out there who can put a figure to the quantity that have turned up? Any info would be appreciated as I intend to upgrade my VG copy at some stage but need to know when to join the bidding wars...

Thanks

I don't think he got many copies left as he got these nearly 2 years ago and I think all the stone mint ones have gone now. So all he has are a handful of the lesser graded ones.

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest sharmo 1

I don't think he got many copies left as he got these nearly 2 years ago and I think all the stone mint ones have gone now. So all he has are a handful of the lesser graded ones.

How much was he selling them for ?

Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

this is one 45 that i would not touch over 75, its a fifty quid record.

The lavonne bridges 45 on the same label is much better and rarer.... in my oppinion

many copys of this sheri taylor turned up in detroit as unplayed stock a few year ago

brad h found them, and sold them on e bay  ( am i wrong)

good 45, dont get me wrong

but one 45 that i always thought we were paying to much for when it was big

mick smith would have sold them for 8 quid in the 80s

i think there are loads of them

so would advise you not to pay much

the other 45 on gloreco if brad has quantity fair play

i bought mine of john manship years ago

i was under the impression it was from a dj called shifty and was his old copy

i have no idea who he was

but i may have gone to southend and got a tape

its a great record

it was also fred bridges very first outing  singing and writing

Edited by gaz thomas
Social source share

this is one 45 that i would not touch over 75, its a fifty quid record.

The lavonne bridges 45 on the same label is much better and rarer.... in my oppinion

many copys of this sheri taylor turned up in detroit as unplayed stock a few year ago

brad h found them, and sold them on e bay  ( am i wrong)

good 45, dont get me wrong

but one 45 that i always thought we were paying to much for when it was big

mick smith would have sold them for 8 quid in the 80s

i think there are loads of them

so would advise you not to pay much

Have you got one - and how much did you pay?

If you haven't got one I don't think you will get one for 75 quid mate - not unless there are another couple of boxes in reserve that will bring the price down significantly.

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

it was also fred bridges very first outing  singing and writing

Interesting - if that's the case, then this would date the Lavonne Bridges (and possibly the Sheri Taylor) at around 1961 - 62.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Guest penny

Interesting - if that's the case, then this would date the Lavonne Bridges (and possibly the Sheri Taylor) at around 1961 - 62.

Well it sounds precisely like it's from 61 -62 doesn't it?

Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

Have you got one - and how much did you pay?

If you haven't got one I don't think you will get one for 75 quid mate - not unless there are another couple of boxes in reserve that will bring the price down significantly.

Cheers

Richard

yes

im not wanting to buy any gloreco 45s, i have them all.

i just think the fred bridges is the best record out of the three

thats my oppinion

its a nice 45

it is rarer than the sherri taylor 45

the preston smart 45 may be even rarer, but it is crap

you only want that if you are collecting labels

so there you have it

Edited by gaz thomas
Social source share

• 2 years later...
On 10.6.2013 at 13:34, Premium Stuff said:

Agree the PG copies look wrong - although I have only seen pics of that one, not had it in my hand.

I think Manship auctioned one as an original a few years ago didn't he?

PG copy has gone for almost USD $900 according to Popsike.

Cheers

Richard

But why JM Point it out in the One Million Dollar Book if it will be an boot?

Social source share

On 7/24/2013 at 22:12, penny said:

Well it sounds precisely like it's from 61 -62 doesn't it?

Yep - to now put a finer point on it, I read of a release date for the Gloreco issue of November 1962 a few months ago.  According to the RCA matrix stamp, it was definitely released in 1962 in any case.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

• 3 years later...
Social source share

Social source share

1 hour ago, Zanetti said:

So, PG was First? Is this article verified?

Thx

I have no idea but someone will hopefully know, just thought it was good to post it and see 😀

I am sure someone know of Graham (I don't know him) but he has somewhat of a pedigree, it appears

"As a Press Officer for Pye Records and later CBS Records in London, Graham handled the publicity for several former Motown artists, including Gladys Knight & The Pips and Edwin Starr whilst with Pye (through their licences with Buddah and 20th Century Records respectively) and would work with Gladys Knight & The Pips (again!), Billy Griffin and Marvin Gaye whilst at CBS Records.
As a journalist for Melody Maker, Blues & Soul, Record Buyer and several other outlets, he has interviewed many Motown greats, including Stevie Wonder, Diana Ross, The Temptations, The Commodores, Hal Davis, High Inergy and Harvey Fuqua, among others.
During the course of writing the Motown Encyclopedia, he has re-acquainted himself with many former Motown artists, checking facts and feats and getting the background stories to some of the greatest music ever produced. In short, nearly forty years of music industry experience has resulted in the definitive book about Motown."

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!