News: Tim Brown - May 2013 Back In The Groove

Mike

First half is a waste of time and full of bull shit. Things improved half way through. Quite enjoyable from the Dan Penn CD onwards.

I didn't get as far as the Dan Penn CD, the first bit was so miserable and boring that I couldn't read any further.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest nsoulxx

he's not a bad bloke, and has some cracking tunes .

why dont I have emoticons?! there's none on my ccomputer it seems

Social source share

Guest nsoulxx

Im computer illiterate as you know reg but getting back to the subject, will you be contacting tim for a natter?

Social source share

tim's the man...but i would say that wouldn't i?....particularly as he's a good friend, he's also intellectual and  an in depth mine of information where both of his hobbies are concerned. of course he's not going to please everybody, much in the same way as the maligned ian levine, but he sticks by his guns and his words. oratory probably dosn't interest the masses much, i'd imagine the attention span of a gnat springs to mind, but please don't think i mean that a derogatory manner. a good many just want to cut to the chase and there's nothing wrong with that, but what he does say is well thought out and informative and very rarely off the mark. as a matter of fact, i haven't read his commentary yet so i'll reserve judgement on any of the negatives so far expressed...each to his own as they say!.

Social source share

I've always liked Tim as well.  I admire anyone with such depth of knowledge about music.  That's why I love Ian Levine so much.  He might be a pain at times but the knowledge is just frightening.  I think I know a fair bit, but those two make me look like a kid on his first day at school.  

I could beat both of them on a quiz about reggae though  :lol:

think you've got them both on the reggae thing pete, they are, however, walking encyclopedia's and the most likely people anyone would refer to if the guide books don't list it.  :thumbsup:

Social source share

Interesting read. On the subject of price guides I notice a couple of surprises on Tim's latest list, namely Al Apollo at £200 and Sonny Til at £150. Have prices gone up on these?

He'll be lucky, I just about got £70 for my last Al Apollo a couple of weeks ago

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Well I'm not a Geordie, more of a Queen's English sort of a girl, so for your reference Mr Johnson I roughly translated the first half of the article as follows:

"And if anyone thould dare to wead another pwice guide not witten by me then I thall thcweam and thcweam and thcweam until I'm thick!!"

;)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Well I'm not a Geordie, more of a Queen's English sort of a girl, so for your reference Mr Johnson I roughly translated the first half of the article as follows:

"And if anyone thould dare to wead another pwice guide not witten by me then I thall thcweam and thcweam and thcweam until I'm thick!!"

;)

I think what he was actually saying is that the review was biased as it was done by the same person who did the into to the book, therefore not an impartial review.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

I like Tim, he's a proper collector, with a broad taste in soul music (at least up until 1976 :lol:), and generally he knows his stuff more than the majority. He's also an entertaining writer on the whole.

Where he lets himself down is with the digs at Ace / Kent, and what seems like an obsession with the Manship price guide. I've lost count of how many articles Tim has written on the latter subject.

.....But generally Tim's a good egg and at his best in print when he's talking about obscure records.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

to be honest ive only ever bought 2 45`s of anglo in my life,,,,,,,i was thinkin about the list that was on here the other day that phil posted up..`if he sells anything off this list i will stand the drop of york`...theres usually the one on there that you know he`s gonna get 20 phone calls for but i didnt spot one this time

Social source share

I think you've hit the nail on the head there Steve.  I can't comment on Brown personally, I only know him as the bloke I see around occasionally, dressed vaguely like a geography teacher in a corduroy sports jacket, lol, and I've never bought a record from him.  The constant outpouring of vitriol about THE guide though, albeit amusingly undignified for us to read, trips Brown's writing style up and distracts the reader from whatever valuable critical content might follow.  And you're right, makes me imagine him rocking in a basement somewhere, walls plastered with photographs of Manship with his eyes gouged out, sticking pins in his wax effigy, ha ha.  Don't know if you ever saw the personal letter Brown wrote to the previous reviewer in Manifesto of price guide 5?  He was literally apoplectic because the review was generally favourable, and the bile he spouted was knicker-wettingly funny.

And in the meantime Manny'll be laughing all the way to the bank I'm sure.  In book publishing terms it's a classic case of the Samuel Johnson quote (as opposed to Geordie Johnson, lol) that he'd rather be attacked than unnoticed etc etc.

Social source share

I think you've hit the nail on the head there Steve.  I can't comment on Brown personally, I only know him as the bloke I see around occasionally, dressed vaguely like a geography teacher in a corduroy sports jacket, lol, and I've never bought a record from him.  The constant outpouring of vitriol about THE guide though, albeit amusingly undignified for us to read, trips Brown's writing style up and distracts the reader from whatever valuable critical content might follow.  And you're right, makes me imagine him rocking in a basement somewhere, walls plastered with photographs of Manship with his eyes gouged out, sticking pins in his wax effigy, ha ha.  Don't know if you ever saw the personal letter Brown wrote to the previous reviewer in Manifesto of price guide 5?  He was literally apoplectic because the review was generally favourable, and the bile he spouted was knicker-wettingly funny.

And in the meantime Manny'll be laughing all the way to the bank I'm sure.  In book publishing terms it's a classic case of the Samuel Johnson quote (as opposed to Geordie Johnson, lol) that he'd rather be attacked than unnoticed etc etc.

Last time I saw Tim he was wearing a pair of Aquascutum trousers and I asked him if someone had paid him to wear them.

He took it all in good heart though.

Social source share

;)

Theresa, thanks for translating all that, i have actually re-read it again and still get a bit lost as to.... is hes knocking someone/thing/article or not..does he like kent or not  confused we will be in the next episode of SOAP or twin peaks :)... and the Samual Johnson quote....mmm wonder if hes a long lost ancestor of mine...As his birth place was staffordshire and thats where my johnson Lineage is from......

Geeooooordie

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!