Jm Mystery Auction

Between Larry and Frank? ... most probably.

However, let's not forget there were other recent items in-between those two as well:

Eddie Parker - £8.2K+

Counts - £8.5K+

Prophets - £9.9K+

All very rare and very good records (and, perhaps not surprisingly, the last three are all now residing in Japan I believe).

But personally I would rather have any of those five ahead of the Mello Souls.

It might well exceed the price for the Prophets; but then again, travesties happen all the time. Give me One Gold Piece any day of the week.

We Can Make It is not for me though, and as the Mello Souls might say, 'I Got My Pride' ...

And wouldn't be surprised if the Mello Souls ends up making an Eastwards journey :( 

Social source share

Guest Seagrave

And wouldn't be surprised if the Mello Souls ends up making an Eastwards journey :( 

Good point John. Or it could even go back to the USA (big money collectors there too). And that has actually cheered me up!

The prospect of at least one copy of this banal, messy, contrived record being sent a few thousand miles away, to lie undisturbed in a private collection, is a rather satisfying thought.

I'm feeling more mellow already ... 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Good point John. Or it could even go back to the USA (big money collectors there too). And that has actually cheered me up!

The prospect of at least one copy of this banal, messy, contrived record being sent a few thousand miles away, to lie undisturbed in a private collection, is a rather satisfying thought.

I'm feeling more mellow already ... 

Now is that Mellow or Mello? :) 

Social source share

I don't like it myself, well I'll rephrase that I wouldn't spend that amount of money on it if it was a couple of hundred yes but honestly its not that great the intro is fantastic but once they start singing they are all over the place and then it seems they all lose interest three quarters of the way through. Only my opinion though.

Surely it's impossible to equate musical content and financial value? Can you ever really listen to a piece of music and think, oh, that's a two hundred quid record. Anything over a fiver is purely down to a complex algorithim based on the quadruple factors of demand, quality, condition and rarity. Obviously this one ticks all four boxes.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just refreshed my memory n had a listen. Please no offense meant but i think whoever pays more than $20 for this is mad!

There are thousands n thousands of records better than this for a fiver never mind $20.

U could buy yourself an incredible collection for what this will sell at and the collection would be all the better for not having it in it. The rarity far out ways its quality. Average at best but somebody will buy it because they can.

Ignorance is bliss, i'm gonna listen to anything by Jackie Wilson now. My ears hurt after that.

Atb

Clint

Jackie n MS, slippers n Martens. You need both

Social source share

I hope the $20 seller isn't a vindictive assault rifle owing redneck with a facebook account or things could turn very interesting :wicked:

Dave

Annie get yer gun!

I think the original finder is on a piece of the action.....maybe another middle man or broker involved (local record dealer / intermediary), but I am sure the finder of this isn't going to come out of this with $20 less commission  :lol: 

Social source share

The stuff record collecting dreams are made of. Near mint too!!!

Is anyone else as aroused by this as I am???

Sadly nothing about records excites me anymore.  Maybe if I came across a boxfull of UK demos.  But I barely lifted an eyebrow to this one or any other auctions, apart from the results.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Got to say the more I hear Mello Souls (via youtube), it grows and grows on me, for me it's a real monster tune and has everything, intro, beat, soul, sax break, what more could you want?

I bet if i heard it played out, blastin though speakers in a 'euphoric' state, then this tune would really send me to that special place.

Hope I get that lottery up this weekend, cos I'd Buy It Now with an offer JM wouldn't refuse if I did........chance per dream.

Doesn't someone called Mick H own a copy of this too?

Edited by MrsWoodsrules
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

What if, and this really is a what if, all of a sudden it got booted on a look-a-likey label. Obviously the original on offer would still be a trophy item but with a flood of boots getting played up and down the country by would be dj's, how much would it affect interest/price I wonder.

Steve

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!