Jm Mystery Auction

Don't know any moles Simon and to be honest having been away from the collecting side of things for quite some time I wouldn't have known it had been booted. It was merely a thought that I chucked into the pan and I didn't even look at the clip presuming it had t been booted. Anyway, don't have to justify myself to the know it all's which is half the reason ..... Well you know.

Social source share

Don't know any moles Simon and to be honest having been away from the collecting side of things for quite some time I wouldn't have known it had been booted. It was merely a thought that I chucked into the pan and I didn't even look at the clip presuming it had t been booted. Anyway, don't have to justify myself to the know it all's which is half the reason ..... Well you know.

Steve there was a copy being offered for sale last summer, but the scan he put out was the "B" side which has an I, not a W at end of the label number. The WCMI font is also wrong, one of Photoshop's not a 60's pressing plant I suspect.

Social source share

Steve there was a copy being offered for sale last summer, but the scan he put out was the "B" side which has an I, not a W at end of the label number. The WCMI font is also wrong, one of Photoshop's not a 60's pressing plant I suspect.

Simon, thank you for the info and I appreciate everything that you have said. However, I'm not collecting anymore and am therefore unaware of what's being booted. We grew up in a great age and we have both had some great tunes, I guess you still have your collection and maintain an interest in what goes on. I however have sold the bulk of mine and, I guess, live for the memories of what I had with not too much interest in what's happening today. Sorry if I sounded blunt but I don't keep up to date with everything. Yes I go on soul source but as a casual viewer rather than an avid collector, which I no longer am. I didn't know mello souls had been booted, had no desire to search YouTube etc Nd therefore was unaware of its existence. I was merely intrigued if it has been booted with the emergence of this copy, how it would affect the final price as we both know, it did in "the old days"

Best

Steve

Social source share

Got to say the more I hear Mello Souls (via youtube), it grows and grows on me, for me it's a real monster tune and has everything, intro, beat, soul, sax break, what more could you want?

I bet if i heard it played out, blastin though speakers in a 'euphoric' state, then this tune would really send me to that special place.

Hope I get that lottery up this weekend, cos I'd Buy It Now with an offer JM wouldn't refuse if I did........chance per dream.

Doesn't someone called Mick H own a copy of this too?

:yes:  :thumbsup:  :)

Social source share

Simon, thank you for the info and I appreciate everything that you have said. However, I'm not collecting anymore and am therefore unaware of what's being booted. We grew up in a great age and we have both had some great tunes, I guess you still have your collection and maintain an interest in what goes on. I however have sold the bulk of mine and, I guess, live for the memories of what I had with not too much interest in what's happening today. Sorry if I sounded blunt but I don't keep up to date with everything. Yes I go on soul source but as a casual viewer rather than an avid collector, which I no longer am. I didn't know mello souls had been booted, had no desire to search YouTube etc Nd therefore was unaware of its existence. I was merely intrigued if it has been booted with the emergence of this copy, how it would affect the final price as we both know, it did in "the old days"

Best

Steve

Hey Steve,

It's no worries man, so what if you didn't know it had been booted, don't matter much does it mate, I didn't til I seen that vid on youtube  :thumbsup:

To address your original point, don't think it would effect overall value too much in fact., after all, plenty of Larry/F Wilson/D-Larks or whatever boots and re-issues around, only (very few, what 2-3) originals that have surfaced, and that's what counts, I wouldn't worry bout boots if I possesed an ultra rare original in this day and age, in fact, raising it's profile would do no harm to the real thing in terms of value. It's not like the old days when you had to travel to actually hear that special record from that certain DJ, we've all got em digitally downloaded now anyway, and that don't count does it?

Maybe I'm wrong and someone can name an example where it's had a detrimental effect since the digital age (because it was disastrous in the 70's), but I wouldn't have thought so anyway.

Edited by MrsWoodsrules
Social source share

Hey Steve,

It's no worries man, so what if you didn't know it had been booted, don't matter much does it mate, I didn't til I seen that vid on youtube  :thumbsup:

To address your original point, don't think it would effect overall value too much in fact., after all, plenty of Larry/F Wilson/D-Larks or whatever boots and re-issues around, only (very few, what 2-3) originals that have surfaced, and that's what counts, I wouldn't worry bout boots if I possesed an ultra rare original in this day and age, in fact, raising it's profile would do no harm to the real thing in terms of value. It's not like the old days when you had to travel to actually hear that special record from that certain DJ, we've all got em digitally downloaded now anyway, and that don't count does it?

Maybe I'm wrong and someone can name an example where it's had a detrimental effect since the digital age (because it was disastrous in the 70's), but I wouldn't have thought so anyway.[/quot

Actually you are right. It's all available to us in the Internet age. I think the frenzy comes to light when there are those who want and those who have rare vinyl. We are back to elitism, a fact that has been prevalent for years and something that I have been guilty of in the past. My passion for the music hasn't gone its just that what is going on bypasses me so I don't know what is being put to vinyl whether legit reissues, boots or originals turning up. I guess I have to hold my hands up and accept that I have become a victim of the download era. Guess that's me out of touch but there's one thing that still remains dead to my heart, soul music. And yes, if I had 10k stuffed in a cupboard, I'd buy the mello souls if I was still of the collecting mind. Taxi!

Social source share

Guest giant

I don't like it myself, well I'll rephrase that I wouldn't spend that amount of money on it if it was a couple of hundred yes but honestly its not that great the intro is fantastic but once they start singing they are all over the place and then it seems they all lose interest three quarters of the way through. Only my opinion though.

very well described ,not the best record on the planet ,just rare and indemand.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Makes me wonder how these super expensive records get delivered. Hand delivery in the UK, but I mean if the winning bidder is in the US, would you trust the post? What do you put on the customs declaration? :unsure:

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Makes me wonder how these super expensive records get delivered. Hand delivery in the UK, but I mean if the winning bidder is in the US, would you trust the post? What do you put on the customs declaration? :unsure:

I think this one will be delivered by hand REGARDLESS of the location of the winning bidder!!!!

Due to lack of available insurance and rarity of item.

By the way, is this one "big in Japan" :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Seagrave

I don't like it myself, well I'll rephrase that I wouldn't spend that amount of money on it if it was a couple of hundred yes but honestly its not that great the intro is fantastic but once they start singing they are all over the place and then it seems they all lose interest three quarters of the way through. Only my opinion though.

Yes, as Giant says, well described.

Except, you forgot to mention the 'wet lettuce' sax break.

Social source share

You can send the record fully insured anywhere in the world next day delivery for the right price via UPS.

Chris

I know that Chris but would you trust it to ANYONE? Have you seen how these postal operations operate in their warehouses etc? That was my point.....Good to see you at Clee Saturday....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

You'd need back up T. :)

There's no doubt I'd need someone with a safe pair of hands Kev.  And if you could just warm them a bit, that'd be good  :shades:

Though knowing our luck, we'd get through the rigorous tender process, secure the Mello Souls courier contract, only for it to be bought by someone in Leighton Buzzard :huh:

Edited by Theresa
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

....Yeah and fill in a customs declaration "Are you bringing goods of a value of more than $10,000 into the United States"..... :ohmy:  :wink:

no i,m bringing goods OUT of the USA........as has been the case since the 70's........do try and keep up...and remember   "the horse has bolted".......a good maxim to remember for the future  lol :lol:

Social source share

no i,m bringing goods OUT of the USA........as has been the case since the 70's........do try and keep up...and remember   "the horse has bolted".......a good maxim to remember for the future  lol :lol:

Yeah but if it goes back there......do try and keep up :lol: , The Mello Souls is in the UK at the moment but may go back to the USA.....and when you go there you have to fill out these little blue forms....."Are you bringing in communist literature, fried chicken or goods to the value of more than $10,000". Not quite the same as crossing the border into Milton Keynes Tezza  :rofl:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Seagrave

Could you say the largest amount paid for a rare soul 45??

I remember pretty well a JD Bryant ended at $ 24K at ebay around 4-5 years ago.

Err ... you've been a member of Soul-Source since 2006, and you knew what a 'J. D. Bryant' was some time ago.

Have you really never read even one thread about Frank Wilson since April 2009 ...?!

Social source share

Guest Seagrave

Oh, and by the way, $24k for J. D. Bryant is miles off. Around $8k for a decent copy is somewhere close to the going rate.

Two other, rarer, Shrines have recently sold for more than that. Then there's Eddie Parker, Junior McCants, and Don Gardner among others.

Edited by Seagrave
Social source share

Yeah but if it goes back there......do try and keep up :lol: , The Mello Souls is in the UK at the moment but may go back to the USA.....and when you go there you have to fill out these little blue forms....."Are you bringing in communist literature, fried chicken or goods to the value of more than $10,000". Not quite the same as crossing the border into Milton Keynes Tezza  :rofl:

The only thing you have to declare over $10,000 is currency and "monetary instruments" like bearer bonds

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm pretty sure.

Not all items sold through ebay goes to popsike.

Cheers

Are you saying that there were two J D Bryants that went through eBay around 2008 - one sold for USD $10k as shown above and got picked up by Popsike - the other sold for USD $24k and did not get caught by Popsike listings?

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Jackie n MS, slippers n Martens. You need both

Nah! i defo don't need MS to be honest!

Jackie n Walter & The Admirations yes! (Different Class) slippers n martens. I need them both!!!!

But i appreciate what yr getting at. MS i just don't get it.

Atb

Clint

Edited by SLAMMINSOUL
Social source share

Guest Seagrave

Are you saying that there were two J D Bryants that went through eBay around 2008 - one sold for USD $10k as shown above and got picked up by Popsike - the other sold for USD $24k and did not get caught by Popsike listings?

Cheers

Richard

I think we're trying to 'reason' with a semi-literate chimp here Richard. I wouldn't bother anymore if I were you (without at least a liberal sprinkling of mockery, anyway).

... he's still trying to pretend he hasn't even heard of Frank Wilson. Which, 'as any fule no' is the answer to his original question.

Maybe that, and his utter nonsense about J. D. Bryant, indicate a wind-up merchant ...?

Social source share

Could you say the largest amount paid for a rare soul 45??

I remember pretty well a JD Bryant ended at $ 24K at ebay around 4-5 years ago.

Marcos, Frank Wilson still holds the record for the most paid for a soul 45 by some way. :thumbsup:

The rumour at the time was that the last Mello Souls may have sold for around £13k. But only the buyer and seller would know for sure......

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Marcos, Frank Wilson still holds the record for the most paid for a soul 45 by some way. :thumbsup:

The rumour at the time was that the last Mello Souls may have sold for around £13k. But only the buyer and seller would know for sure......

I heard the Mello Souls sold on here last year was sold for $17k, not sure how true it is.

Social source share

Guest giant

Wasn't this the record that a well known dealer turned down for $300 in the car park of Austin Record Show cus there was no demand for the flip from the far east......or was that Sir Joe?

Fcuk knows, these rare records confuse the life out of me if I'm honest!

Apparently hand delivered from the good old U S of A in a used, but fully functional pizza box!

Rumour has it that 2 slices of stuffed crust pepperoni pizza were used to pack the 45, and that the cheese was still warm on receipt....exceptional service indeed, and such a dedicated service should surely be worth another grand on top !

I'm not one to spread malicious rumours, but I believe Karl Heard may be selling his complete collection of Famous Five and Secret Seven paperbacks so as to fund a heavy bid to secure this tune and then permanently sandwich it (with superglue) between two VG+ slabs of funky edged soul vinyl.....just cus he can.....and cus he knows that you'll all still love him for it........

So, what will it go for.....?

How about we all chuck a quid in for a guess and nearest to actual amount wins the pot.....

I reckon £13,388.56

Fancy yer chances......?

No PayPal mind....cash is king!

thats funny matey ,it made me laugh   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Social source share

Thanks Steve for answering in a politely way, as always.

Cheers all

Edited by marcos rguerra
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!