Jm Mystery Auction

Hi there chalky you'd have to ask Shifty although it wasn't his copy I think he already had it and sold this one straight on.I was with Tim yesterday and ment to ask him but forgot , I think the guy who found it was greedy mick who found the mac staten  that ended up with Daz Daykin have heard this story a few times over the years .There is one copy in Leiden that came from Philly , John Lawson still has his copy which he bought from a sales box at Leicester odd fellows ( whether the Leicester connection has become mixed up I don't know) Andreas Slivane still has his though regards Simon.

I think it's a fairy tale, urban myth Simon, never seen or heard of the other copies in this country, has anyone? Wen did the Dutch copy turn up? Again anyone verify it exists?

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

I think it's a fairy tale, urban myth Simon, never seen or heard of the other copies in this country, has anyone? Wen did the Dutch copy turn up? Again anyone verify it exists?

Hi again Chalky the story around the rock and roll box I've heard a few times perhaps if someone asked shifty that would prove either way.The john Lawson one I would say does exist as he wouldn't lie to me and his collection is vast and holds many heavy rarieties ,Myself and my ex wife saw the Leiden one many years ago and that's from me mate not second hand , think about the b side it's ideal for the Dutch suirenese scene it's possible they could be floating around the Netherlands Jan at record paradise knew it when I asked about certain records and the guy at red light records said he's heard of it. Anyway it'll all come out in the wash eventually best regards Simon.

Social source share

If I win I won't expect any clothes to be worn at all throughout the whole process. That includes the entire staff of John Manships Records when handling my (potential) property.

Joel Maslin you'll do it in your vest and pants and see me after class.

Well, time's ticking away.  Will the inscrutable gentlemen of the East come from behind with a late entry? :ohmy:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Seagrave

I think the candlelight flickered across the whole of Porkpieshire just then, there were so many people watching!

*Dons school uniform, packs MS in satchel and prepares for oriental trip...* :P

Yes, plenty watching I'm sure.

But only one new bidder in the last nine days. Took him just two cracks to get it, in the last two minutes.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Yes, plenty watching I'm sure.

But only one new bidder in the last nine days. Took him just two cracks to get it, in the last two minutes.

Yep, interesting bidding pattern, but let's face it, just not that many folk with 10k+ to play with at the moment.

And Mark Harrison let me know if you need any help with that 12 grand burning a hole in your pocket now pet, lol :wink:  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yep, interesting bidding pattern, but let's face it, just not that many folk with 10k+ to play with at the moment.

And Mark Harrison let me know if you need any help with that 12 grand burning a hole in your pocket now pet, lol :wink:

It's not all bad news for Mark ...having £12k set aside for rare records ...he could now grab that Dibango - hallelujah to console himself :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It's not all bad news for Mark ...having £12k set aside for rare records ...he could now grab that Dibango - hallelujah to console himself :)

Nah, he's an old Wigan boy - he'll be wanting a rousing tubthumper of the highest order :D

Social source share

I think the candlelight flickered across the whole of Porkpieshire just then, there were so many people watching!

*Dons school uniform, packs MS in satchel and prepares for oriental trip...* :P

I thought it was S&M , or am I off track here :lol:

Swifty

Social source share

Who found that then Simon? First I've heard. Shifty's came form the States so I believe.

My uncle used to collect records in the 70's ,mainly motown .

I seem to recall him having this one 45 that was yellow and it started with a Motown intro ,like a supremes record and then it went mental !

He lived in Leicester and used to give records to a charity shop if they weren't any use to him .

He detested rock n roll ,so maybe Simons story is credible ?

Social source share

I know there was mention in another thread about a boot, but i've just noticed these on ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140899117004?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

43 already sold with 3 remaining!!!

Expect this will be getting a hammering up and down the country.

I think it's more likely to be people who have wanted to own it for years, and just want a decent sound file to play at home or in the car.

Social source share

I think it's more likely to be people who have wanted to own it for years, and just want a decent sound file to play at home or in the car.

Hi Phil ,hope your well :)

I have heard it played out before at a club night ,but to be honest ,it sounds very ordinary .

Reason being is that ,as already mentioned ,it's a proper out and out nighter record !

Most regular soul nights that allow boots / reissues on the decks ,tend play across the board soul oldies and 70's .

It's quite surprising just how much tempo is needed to fill a floor and believe me ,this is way above that threshold !

There are however ,plenty of top class 7:30 - 1or 2 am venues (up and down the country) that do play some great uptempo ,gritty soul ,but as you probably know ,most play O.V.O :)

So IMHO ,you are most correct ,it's for home use and maybe to upload the sound to mp3 for car etc .

Social source share

Have you seen all the other shite this seller is offering.

Why on earth do we bother collecting records when some twot can just produce all these and make a killing.

No license fees, MCPS etc etc.

Not all of them, I hasten to add. Just most of 'em

Must admit, I didn't have a look. Just assumed there would be loads of similar "products".

It is frustrating but it's still a nice feeling when you get the real thing.

Social source share

Have you seen all the other shite this seller is offering.

Why on earth do we bother collecting records when some twot can just produce all these and make a killing.

No license fees, MCPS etc etc.

Not all of them, I hasten to add. Just most of 'em

Phil ...your treading a fine line now ...in danger of not only going off topic ,but in great danger of opening up the most annoying topic ever !
Social source share

I know there was mention in another thread about a boot, but i've just noticed these on ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140899117004?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

43 already sold with 3 remaining!!!

Expect this will be getting a hammering up and down the country.

I think there may be two boots of this, the one above is poor(ish) quality sounds like a cleaned up mp3 and is not even as good as the one I've got in my itunes, the other one which I can't see on ebay, must be better.  Someone has a sense of humour though, in the run off it says "Mick H rules ok"!

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

I think there may be two boots of this, the one above is poor(ish) quality sounds like a cleaned up mp3 and is not even as good as the one I've got in my itunes, the other one which I can't see on ebay, must be better.  Someone has a sense of humour though, in the run off it says "Mick H rules ok"!

I bet Mick is laughing.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!