Arnold Blair, I Won The Big Deal

Guest For Real

Guest For Real

Hi, this is a pretty self indulgent thread, but I want to share - for those of you who don't know it - the flip to 'Trying to get next to you' by Arnold Blair. Not sure how well known it is?

It's called 'I won the big deal' and it is an AWESOME ballad. Might take a few plays to really get a grip. But it has everything - brilliant lead vocals, lush backing vocals, cracking sax break, great drumnig... and the lyrics...

"Fooling myself about the life I wanted to live, giving to the world all that I had to give,

Been a lot of places, done a lot of things, lord knows I know the feeling loneliness can bring,

I won the big deal this time"

PS Any ideas on what the 'big deal' he is referring to is?

Cheers

Mark

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Yes but again these days its the girls that live more in the fast lane flirting freely and its us fellas that get the real pain !

And usually are the ones shelling out after the storm!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Hi, this is a pretty self indulgent thread, but I want to share - for those of you who don't know it - the flip to 'Trying to get next to you' by Arnold Blair. Not sure how well known it is?

It's called 'I won the big deal' and it is an AWESOME ballad. Might take a few plays to really get a grip. But it has everything - brilliant lead vocals, lush backing vocals, cracking sax break, great drumnig... and the lyrics...

"Fooling myself about the life I wanted to live, giving to the world all that I had to give,

Been a lot of places, done a lot of things, lord knows I know the feeling loneliness can bring,

Cheers

Mark

Indisputably better than the vastly overrated "Trying To Get Next To You" (the epitome of mediocrity)- always has been, and always will be. I feel a deep sympathy for anyone who can't see why...

TONE :wicked:

Social source share

Guest sydney bridge

Cheers

Mark

great stuff,its also on a fairly recent curtom compilation album mighty mighty soul,curtom club classics vol 1? :wicked:
Social source share

Indisputably better than the vastly overrated "Trying To Get Next To You" (the epitome of mediocrity)- always has been, and always will be. I feel a deep sympathy for anyone who can't see why...

TONE :wicked:

I disagree there Tone - a fantastic & unusual arrangement & certainly popular with the dancers - not that that makes a great record. Except I think that it is ph34r.gif

Girf

Social source share

Guest For Real

Please refresh my memory ... who WAS Arnold Blair ???

Was he rumoured to be Leroy Hutson at one stage ?

Thanks in advance whistling.gif

I'd heard that he was a session musician - and, apart from this recording, is something of an enigma. But this is just hearsay - and it does seem amazing that someone with a voice like that only did one recording. Be really interesting to hear if anyone knows more?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!