Nighters Then And Now

How do the nighters compare now to the hay days of Wigan, wheel, torch, etc.

I love going to nighters and the fact that most people in there are my dads age does nothing to put me off, but I cant imagine what it must have been like having a room FULL of youngsters going mad to these amazing tunes.

Is it still the same for you as it was all those years ago, or will it never be like those early years?

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I love going to nighters and the fact that most people in there are my dads age does nothing to put me off, but I cant imagine what it must have been like having a room FULL of youngsters going mad to these amazing tunes.

Is it still the same for you as it was all those years ago, or will it never be like those early years?

Love em as much now as I did then.... :lol:

just find it a bit harder to keep up, or get over em....

Social source share

Guest Trevski

On the whole, I prefer the music of the last 15 yrs or so to the music then, on reflection, although the tunes at the time (wigan etc) were amazing and new! I much prefer the venues, atmosphere, crowds etc of the Wigan era tho.Pity we can't have both! It was far more exiting and buzzing then, but it is when your 17! Still, better what we have now than nothing, and I still enjoy 'em, just not in the same way.

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

i wouldn't know how they was back then but i can't find many young ones when i go. I keep seeing more and more over 35's i swear but to me it not matter i love it and can't believe at work when i had some Northern soul and Motown on my personal stereo as i can put music on when shop closes and we stay behind i get told what's all this shit you have on i say it's classic Motown.

Social source share

i wouldn't know how they was back then but i can't find many young ones when i go. I keep seeing more and more over 35's i swear but to me it not matter i love it and can't believe at work when i had some Northern soul and Motown on my personal stereo as i can put music on when shop closes and we stay behind i get told what's all this shit you have on i say it's classic Motown.

It depends which nighters you go to Paul ? There are usually a few at the Manchester nighters and the 100 club. In fact I see people under 30 at most nighters whistling.gif

Social source share

It depends which nighters you go to Paul ? There are usually a few at the Manchester nighters and the 100 club. In fact I see people under 30 at most nighters :thumbsup:

I wonder if paul would like to tag along with us one night whistling.gif

He'll never leave the house again :shades:

Can only really comment on now, but i love them, would much rather be at a good nighter than a soul night, two totally differnt aspects of the soul scene IMO nighters still have an urgancy about them, where as soul nights can take ages to 'warm up' usually once every one is pissed.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I first started going in the late 70s. Most of the crowd in the niters were older than me, but on the whole very welcoming.

Nowadays I think we all look young anyway. When comparing some of my soul mates to some school mates I'd argue the point that staying up all night and living weekends to excess actually keeps you young.

Social source share

I THINK THE MUSIC IS BETTER NOW WITH OBVIOUSLY MORE KNOWLEDGE OUT THERE! THE MUSIC HAS WENT FULL TILT AND GOT ALOT QUICKER WHICH IS TOTTALY IRONIC BECAUSE WHEN WE WERE ALL YOUNGER IN THE EARLY STAFFORD DAYS THE MUSIC WAS MID TEMPO,NOW MUST OF THE BETTER DOS PLAY 100MPH STUFF.

THATS NORTHERN SOUL ,NO LOGIC!

Social source share

Paul

Niters are not the same now. They couldn't be. Back in the day most of us were young, pilled up and horny teens/twenties. The discoveries were coming at us in torrents. There was also a slight hint of ever present danger which is hard to express, but I kinda miss in a daft way.

Colin

Social source share

I don't go as far back as Wigan etc only Droylsden, Bradford, St Ives, Hyde etc in the 80s/90s and nothing will compare to those nighters for me. The whole thing ... music, atmsophere, friendships and even enjoyed the journey - which in those days was a good part of the night . The last ten years IMO haven't been able to touch those nights whistling.gif

I don't get out much nowadays but I don't mind so much cos I don't think I'm missing anything now (obviously someone will tell me I'm wrong!) but if I had to miss any Droylsdens I was absolutely gutted !!

Social source share

Guest ruffsounds

As i see it the main difference between the nighters now and the late 60s early 70s is that then you drank Coke/Cola or Fanta and added a few sweeties as we called them instead of the now must do the pub before we go thing and there is far more sounds to listen and dance to now. Ahhh sweet memories hehe.

cheers Ruffsounds

Edited by ruffsounds
Social source share

===========

Almost impossible to compare the two. Back then the whole thing exploded and was part of youth culture, and again in my opinion will never be repeated, not sure personally if that's a good thing or a bad thing? Musically probably better now, but down to a matter of personal taste. When you're 17/18 and fit, you'd probably rather dance to Reperata and the Delrons as opposed to George Lemons wink.gif

Social source share

I don't get out much nowadays but I don't mind so much cos I don't think I'm missing anything now (obviously someone will tell me I'm wrong!) but if I had to miss any Droylsdens I was absolutely gutted !!

Ditto Mandy - I did go wigan in the late 70's but Droylsden for me was a top venue, great dancefloor and good dj's who included Mark Robinson, Roger Banks, Butch, Guy Hennigan, Mark Bicknell and many more who graced the place - never missed one!

Hyde all-niters and soul nites (Thursdays) at the Hyde Botanical were also brilliant.

Grant

Social source share

Would have to agree cant really compare the 2 different time different world,for me nothing will ever come close to wigan and it definatley wasnt all about the music it was the whole package of the allnight thing the gear and some great music.Today has to be better for music lovers collectors as far more djs getting to play, lots of different nites travel and information a doddle compared to the 70s,but pushed to choose the 70s everytime.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!