Sweet Sammy J - Baby, Just You And Me (Hi-Q)

Anyone tell me anything about this nice little R&B styled Detroit song please?

Sweet Sammy J - Baby, Just You And Me (Hi-Q 5039)

Nice girlie backing gives it a more sophisticated 'soul' feel than many R&B tracks.

Cheers 

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

I can't find anything on him.  There should be a Detroit singer from that time period named Sam(my) Jackson or Johnson, or James, or Jones, or Jefferson or Jenkins.  But nothing rings a bell in my memory for any of the Detroit labels (including Fortune and Hi-Q, and Robert West's labels, and Johnnie Mae Matthews' labels).  It certainly would be interesting to know who he was.  I'd bet we Detroit collectors have him on other releases.

Social source share

I can't find anything on him.  There should be a Detroit singer from that time period named Sam(my) Jackson or Johnson, or James, or Jones, or Jefferson or Jenkins.  

Unless his name was something like Sammy J Kaplan / Sammy J Ward or similar (I.E. the J was his middle initial). 

Of course, he could also have (usually) been a group lead singer (with the Earthquakes or similar) who just had the one 45 out as a solo artist.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Unless his name was something like Sammy J Kaplan / Sammy J Ward or similar (I.E. the J was his middle initial). 

Of course, he could also have (usually) been a group lead singer (with the Earthquakes or similar) who just had the one 45 out as a solo artist.

That's absolutely what I was thinking.  I'd bet he was in a group on Fortune Records.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

The above label scan has allowed me to solve the identity problem here ......

... seeing that the song writer was called Samuel Mickles, I did a bit of checking and found this info on a Toledo based 60's singer ........

........ the guy was (is?) called Samuel Mickles aka Sweet Sammy J Mickles and he was a mainstay on the 60's Toledo music scene ....

post-22122-0-73115600-1371535603_thumb.j

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The above label scan has allowed me to solve the identity problem here ......

... seeing that the song writer was called Samuel Mickles, I did a bit of checking and found this info on a Toledo based 60's singer ........

........ the guy was (is?) called Samuel Mickles aka Sweet Sammy J Mickles and he was a mainstay on the 60's Toledo music scene ....

Brilliant stuff - looks pretty conclusive seeing as Mickles wrote the song

Thanks for that top class sleuthing  :thumbsup:

Cheers

Richard

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Just had it confirmed that this Pastor is the singer who cut for Hi-Q back in the day.

He lives in Sandusky, Ohio & by all accounts his health is fading these days.

Nice one - thanks for the info and sorry to hear about his deteriorating health.

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!