Is There A Better £5 Original

hovis09

love the ojays and a few more thats been posted,although have paid a bit more than a fiver for some a few of my  £5 records over the last few years...i think ive played all but one of these out at some point,joe jeffrey being that one which i actually like as much as any other just not sure even the most open minded soul crowd would get it

love is the master-bob brady

lonely love -bettye swann

give it to me straight-thelma jones

i need your love-tim

there was a time-james brown

them changes-john hamilton and doris allen

a thing called love-ohio players

wait a minute-eddie raye

the train-joe jeffrey

people get it together-eddie floyd

dean

Edited by spacehopper
Social source share

haha yeh Paul 'This is a great thread because poor people can join in.'

that's me - £5 tunes are king and this is no exception

Jo

Payed it from the album for years, just bought the 45 ironically for, you,ve guessed it, a fiver

Kev

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Could go on forever as there loads of great fiver tunes.

My fave buy for a fiver & not usually my type stuff is Milt Matthews-Trust Me H & R Records.........just awesome.

Cheers

Martyn

An old KTF Audio fave Martyn  :thumbsup:

John

Social source share

my choice would have to be 'aint that asking for trouble' by stevie wonder.........................great record and top dancer :rofl:

Social source share

Also of late, this dirt cheap side has been a huge favorite. "Gimme Little Sign" has been a favorite since I was a kid and would hear it on "oldies" radio in the US, but  I'd never bothered to give the flip much attention till recently. Absolutely sublime S-O-U-L

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3puT3sUr5OQ

heard this played at the Federation s c  notts few years ago think simon alsop played it sounded awesome

Social source share

heard this played at the Federation s c  notts few years ago think simon alsop played it sounded awesome

I've been playing it out here in Denmark the past couple of gigs, great response so far  :D Sounds the business over big speakers and mixed up with some "bigger" tunes you'd never know its about as common as Herb Alpert!

Edited by AndreasB
Social source share

Guys - Don't give me a hard time - but I don't think any ones mentioned lps yet.

I know this is a singles thread but lps are in my price range and usually I'm the only one bidding.

The following were all bought for less than a fiver in the last couple of months - some a lot less than five

Joe Tex - With Strings And Things - Atlantic

Garnet Mimms -  Warm And Soulful - UK UA

King Floyd - Heart Of The Matter - VIP (almost flexi disc - the thinnest album ever?)

Joe Tex - I've Got To Try A Little Better - Atlantic

Eddie Floyd - Baby Lay Your Head Down - Stax

Boy Meets Girl - with It's Our Time - Eddie Floyd, Carla Thomas - Stax

The Continental IV - Dream World - Jay Walking

Ted Taylor - Taylor Made - Ronn

Bobby Moore And The Rhythm Aces - Searching - UK Chess

Paul Kelly - Stealing - Happy Tiger

Don Covay - Hot Blood - Mercury

Terry Callier - Occasional Rain - Cadet

Ed Townsend - Now - Curtom with This Too Shall Pass - This was new to me from the last SS cd swap - found one within a week - what a track

The Sweet Inspirations - What The World Needs Now - Atlantic

Al Wilson - Searching For The Dolphins - UK Liberty

John

and very nice too! funny - that thought occurred to me as well, John - I was listening to the Jimmy James and the Vagabonds album 'The New Religion' last night - a cheap old LP on Marble Arch and thought how great it sounded - especially Side 1 the Mood Red side - can't find the track Honest I Do on You Tube but its a cracker

Jo

Social source share

and very nice too! funny - that thought occurred to me as well, John - I was listening to the Jimmy James and the Vagabonds album 'The New Religion' last night - a cheap old LP on Marble Arch and thought how great it sounded - especially Side 1 the Mood Red side - can't find the track Honest I Do on You Tube but its a cracker

Jo

Jo

Nicked my copy off my older brother years ago & it has stayed one of my fave LP's of all time,some of the covers are better then the originals imo :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Jo

Nicked my copy off my older brother years ago & it has stayed one of my fave LP's of all time,some of the covers are better then the originals imo :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

Hey Martyn, couldnt agree more - seriously unappreciated record !

Jo

Social source share

Kev

And first time I heard it was up at Steve Wilson's do in Darlo..........see how you lot lead me astray :wicked:

Cheers

Martyn

Hi Martyn

Got a tape off Paul Mooney in 1977, Milt Matthews was on it, General Johnson-"Don't walk away", Ramp-"Everybody loves the sunshine" and Sir Ted Ford "I wanna be near you" amongst others, went out and got them all apart from Ramp, which I still need

Kev

Edited by kev cane
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

And a great flip, makes it a double bargain.

gary

Oh god yeh but you have to get the second issue to get the two or you end up with a disco version of Never Get Enough Of Your Love ..so not only is it cheap and a flop but its better to buy a reissue ...isn't that every rule of the soul police up in smoke - lol

Jo

Edited by mistresslongdog
Social source share

Edwin Starr - Back Street (Ric-Tic 107) vocal and instrumental

Currently for sale at exactly 5 quid on Anglo-American  :D

Massive Detroit sound 

Cheers

Richard

Edwin Starr - Back Street (Ric-Tic) Vocal

Instrumental version ... Big respect to CP by the way - great mover - but check the flares and beer towels on this lot  :D

Edwin Starr - Back Street (Ric-Tic) Instrumental

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

As I have oh so boringly pointed out before in numerous threads, some poor souls like me, cant see videos due to firewall restrictions etc while at work, but do like to follow the threads, therefore, could you PLEASE post the title and artist of the video you've posted, just so we know what's gone on!

Ta very loads.

Social source share

Oh god yeh but you have to get the second issue to get the two or you end up with a disco version of Never Get Enough Of Your Love ..so not only is it cheap and a flop but its better to buy a reissue ...isn't that every rule of the soul police up in smoke - lol

Jo

'Wanna slow dance' was actually their 4th single with 'I wanna spend my whole life' on the other side in a final attempt to get some club recognition, None the les two great sides and hopefully no soul crimes committed?!!

gary

• Helpful 1
Social source share

'Wanna slow dance' was actually their 4th single with 'I wanna spend my whole life' on the other side in a final attempt to get some club recognition, None the les two great sides and hopefully no soul crimes committed?!!

gary

Ahaha Gary I think I meant another Street People double sider AGAIN from the one you're talking about - The first pressing of Never Get Enough of Your Love in 1975 had the disco version of the same as a flip ...I was referring to the appeal of the 1976 Never Get Enough re-issue with I Wanna Spend My Whole life With You as the great flip worth having ...Didn't even know about 'Wanna Slow Dance' ! Thanks for taking the time to enlarge my knowledge ; )

Cheers, Jo

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Five great records that cost me a fiver in the last few years (and in one case less) and should still be there or thereabouts (or maybe a tenner in a couple of cases):

Going, Going, Gone - Cody Black (Ram Brock)

Together We Shall Overcome - The Magictones (Mahs)

A Natural Man - Lou Rawls (MGM)

It Ain't Long Enough - Judy Clay (Stax)

Yes I Am - Brothers Of Love (Blue Rock - £3!)

All top drawer soul tunes!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Top of my head some great cheapies...... don't know if a 5er, but cheap as chips purely for what's in the grooves & not for any label kudos or rarity value.

Which kind of falls in with the spirit of the thread.

Bobby Bland, Shoes. Duke

Jackie Ross Dynamite Lovin. Chess.

Garnett Mimm, Prove It To Me, U.A.

Contours, Just A Little Misunderstanding, Gordy.

Shirelles, Last Minute Miracle Wand. (guessing a bit more 5?) great Wigan spin though.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!