Is There A Better £5 Original

hovis09

Guest Dave Turner

Little Milton - Let's Get Together

Bobby McClure - Love Trap

Bobby Moore - Give Me Your Love Right Now ( can still be picked up for a fiver if ya savvy)

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Great to make some "blind buys" when there's a box or two of cheapies open at a soul night, but even better if someone happens to be standing next to you and says "BUY THAT if you don't know it!!!!"..

Decisions - I can't forget about you (Sussex). £5 a couple months ago for mint condition...(Thanks Brian :thumbsup: )

Edited by 71 Steve
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

I know original post said "soul record" but I think this still passes and a good fiver well spent for dance floor fave I think :thumbsup: ....

The Nite-Liters - K-Jee

Nowt wrong with that Steve, forerunners of New Birth and a Torch period spin

:thumbsup: 
Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Great to make some "blind buys" when there's a box or two of cheapies open at a soul night, but even better if someone happens to be standing next to you and says "BUY THAT if you don't know it!!!!"..

Decisions - I can't forget about you (Sussex). £5 a couple months ago for mint condition...(Thanks Brian :thumbsup: )

I'd say £5 was a bargain. The actual 45 in the video I sold for nearer £20 as I recall.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Otis Clay - show place

O'jays - I'm So Glad I Found You - IMO their best track and a real cruncher

Cliff Nobles - Love Is Alright

Showstoppers - What Can A Man Do

Fantastic Johnny C - New Love

dazz

I payed £2 for otis clay, one of the best chicago dancers ever 

Social source share

Ethics - Look At Me Now - Vent

Lou Courtney - You Ain't Ready - Riverside

And the greatest of them all ...

Spyder Turner - I Can't Make It Anymore - MGM

You can pay more than a fiver, but you shouldn't really have to.

Cheers

Mick

Spiders hard to beat, but this tops it,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2im2HDJtgc

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

crossover fiver

An even better flip (just my opinion of course)

The Ovations - Touching Me

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

I'd say £5 was a bargain. The actual 45 in the video I sold for nearer £20 as I recall.

Hi there twenty quid nearer the mark  and what a great tune.S.

Social source share

two records I picked up for £8 for the pair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WctmpmE_PM8

Again, the actual 45 in the video I sold for a tenner.  I bought 5 copies for $5 a piece a few years ago now...........well before the US shipping price hike!

Edit:  I never did master the art of making a good video.

Edited by tiberius
Social source share

Some of these can be a fiver, if you are not to bothered about condition!

Wonderful Night - Candance Love - Aquarius

Hey Babe( Is the getting still good) - The Joneses - Mercury

You've Got The Love I need - Undisputed Truth - Gordy

It's got To Be Mellow - Leon Haywood - Decca  (Superb record but there are loads of Decca copies about)

Social source share

Glass House - I Don't See Me In Your Eyes Anymore - Invictus can often be snagged for a fiver, sadly not easily from the USA anymore due to the postage rates.

On his website Manny, usually given to overblown sales hype, says "This'll creep under your skin".........fair comment I think.

Edited by tiberius
Social source share

I know original post said "soul record" but I think this still passes and a good fiver well spent for dance floor fave I think :thumbsup: ....

The Nite-Liters - K-Jee

Was boxing that for The Duke night in August Steve.Great instrumental!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Was boxing that for The Duke night in August Steve.Great instrumental!

Nice one Tank...I'll be dancing :thumbsup:

Great to see this thread still going. PLEASE keep it rolling everyone all as I need more great nice n cheap records to hunt down when time allows!

I picked up 20 x 45's for the grand total of a fiver the lot last week at a local recycling centre, as I often do :thumbup: ! I won't disclose some of what was in there (I enjoy a variety of music :shhh:  :D ) but that little pack did include near mint pic sleeve 45's of some of my fave 70's & 80's pop-soul from likes of messrs George Benson, Stevie Wonder, O'Jays, Patrice Rushen, Odyssey, Emotions, Marvin. I don't care if it ain't rare! :wink:

Just tidying up some records this eve and can't see this gem has been posted up yet. Pretty sure I only paid about £5 for it this or last year...

Tyrone Davis - All the waiting is not in vain (Dakar)

Social source share

I believe my promo copy of this great crossover spin came from Des Parker for the whopping sum of £4. Love it and works so well mixed in with some of my bigger crossover tunes. 

Newby & Johnson - I Want To Give You My Everything (Mercury)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxnHp685JMc

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest themroc

Just picked up Bob and Earl's Puppet On A String which inturn is a cut of Harlem Shuffle from Des on Soul Source for a jacks. Both are so dark you need a lie down after you've played em.

Social source share

Guest Paul

I believe my promo copy of this great crossover spin came from Des Parker for the whopping sum of £4. Love it and works so well mixed in with some of my bigger crossover tunes. 

Newby & Johnson - I Want To Give You My Everything (Mercury)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxnHp685JMc

Great 45 with 'Sweet Happiness' on the flip (later UK issues from 1973 switched the A and B sides).

I first heard 'Sweet Happiness' in 1973 on Mercury Mobile Discotheque Volume 1, the budget-priced sampler LP which retailed for about £1 and featured an amazing selection of tracks by Jerry Butler, Bill Brandon, Don Covay, Prince Harold, Mark IV, Chuck Brooks etc.

I was 14 or 15 at the time so it had a big influence on me and was excellent value for money, working out at about 8p per track. Even homeless people could afford to buy a copy.

Paul

Social source share

"Put A Smile On Your Face" - E.G. and the Echoes - Diamond Jim.  

Absolute class and was always fairly available.

fantastic record, but i think you'd be hard pressed to find one for a fiver nowadays...

ps - you better put up another post quick, cuz you at "666" right now! 

Social source share

Glass House - I Don't See Me In Your Eyes Anymore - Invictus can often be snagged for a fiver, sadly not easily from the USA anymore due to the postage rates.

On his website Manny, usually given to overblown sales hype, says "This'll creep under your skin".........fair comment I think.

excellent. this one is great too... (and cheap)

Social source share

Great 45 with 'Sweet Happiness' on the flip (later UK issues from 1973 switched the A and B sides).

I first heard 'Sweet Happiness' in 1973 on Mercury Mobile Discotheque Volume 1, the budget-priced sampler LP which retailed for about £1 and featured an amazing selection of tracks by Jerry Butler, Bill Brandon, Don Covay, Prince Harold, Mark IV, Chuck Brooks etc.

I was 14 or 15 at the time so it had a big influence on me and was excellent value for money, working out at about 8p per track. Even homeless people could afford to buy a copy.

Paul

One of three Chess mobile Discotheque which had Denise Lasalle's Love Reputation and Joy Lovejoy's In Orbit on it and Avco Embassy mobile Discotheque, one of them was segued, ie the tracks ran into each other . which was a bit disconcerting but it was aimed at dj's and parties where continuous music was the name of the game!!!!

The Glass House track I don't see me in your eyes anymore was done by Ty Hunter possibly later than than Glass House on the same lable.

Edited by sjclement
Social source share

All of the Intruders stuff on Gamble and all of the Delfonics on Phillygroove (nearly all) are fantastic cheapies, Unifics on Kapp and Festivals, Mob etc on Colossus,Moments, Whatnauts on Stang great value and really soulful stuff

Kev

Edited by kev cane
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

ps - you better put up another post quick, cuz you at "666" right now! 

Thanks for the tip, have posted again, now up to 667 :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!