Is There A Better £5 Original

hovis09

Sometimes we lose sight of the fact that the reason that these records are inexpensive is that there are a lot of copies around, because these records sold in large quantities, because, possibly, that they were good!!! I had a Damascus moment a couple of Years ago whilst listening to some odd, obscure and rare New Orleans tracks, and came to the conclusion that "Robert Parker - Let's Go Baby" wiped the floor with all of them. I get a bit tired of people telling me they prefer "the rare stuff" - judge each track on it's own merits, ignoring price considerations. I love  "Buddy Smith", but is it really a BETTER record than "Four Tops - Where Did You Go", or are you allowing rarity/status/oneupmanship influence your quality control.

Des

Hitting the nail right on the head there, Des  :)

The Intruders Up and Down The Ladder - 

Edited by mistresslongdog
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Jackie Moore - Clean Up Your Own Yard 

great cheap tune 

hmmm cheap as chips on discogs - not so cheap on musicstack - that don't make much sense :g:

Edited by mistresslongdog
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I'm sure there's some great records been posted, but it would be nice to know for sure, PLEASE POST ARTIST AND TITLE, NOT JUST THE VIDEO! 

Some of us poor buggers can't get video while at work, and can't see what's been posted!

To be honest, I'm quite surprised that people don't seem to realise this by now, it's not like it doesn't get mentioned often enough!

Every post on this page... so far...

Edited by MrC
Social source share

I'm sure there's some great records been posted, but it would be nice to know for sure, PLEASE POST ARTIST AND TITLE, NOT JUST THE VIDEO! 

Some of us poor buggers can't get video while at work, and can't see what's been posted!

To be honest, I'm quite surprised that people don't seem to realise this by now, it's not like it doesn't get mentioned often enough!

ooops sorry .. will amend  :)

Social source share

Curtis Mayfield - Right On For The Darkness. One of my all time favourite Soul tunes and easily available for a fiver.

Social source share

Paid about £2 for mine - don't know what it is now. Brilliant record.

In fact I just looked up on Discogs - eight for sale from £2.49

Lou Courtney - What do you want me to do - Rags

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Dx

Social source share

Guest Paul

Lou Courtney - What do you want me to do - Rags

Dx

My favourite Lou Courtney 45 was 'The Best Thing A Man Can Ever Do For His Woman' on Epic. Excellent value for less than £1 and it kept me satisfied until I could raise £3 to buy the LP.

Some of those records are a lot more expensive now but many are still out there at bargain prices just waiting to find a good home. 

Social source share

My favourite Lou Courtney 45 was 'The Best Thing A Man Can Ever Do For His Woman' on Epic. Excellent value for less than £1 and it kept me satisfied until I could raise £3 to buy the LP.

Some of those records are a lot more expensive now but many are still out there at bargain prices just waiting to find a good home. 

Great record Paul, however, don't know if its on a 45, my favourite by him is "Just to let him break your heart" with Carl Hall backing singer, fantastic album

Kev

Social source share

Guest Paul

Great record Paul, however, don't know if its on a 45, my favourite by him is "Just to let him break your heart" with Carl Hall backing singer, fantastic album

Kev

Hello Kev,

Yes it was issued as a 45 on the flip side of 'Somebody New Is Loving On You'.

It's hard to pick just one track from Lou's Epic stuff, I used to play the LP from beginning to end. That can't be said of very many albums.

Paul

Social source share

Hello Kev,

Yes it was issued as a 45 on the flip side of 'Somebody New Is Loving On You'.

It's hard to pick just one track from Lou's Epic stuff, I used to play the LP from beginning to end. That can't be said of very many albums.

Paul

Still do Paul, Tomo put it all on CD for me, Bully then kindly found a 1st issue vinyl for me, its up there with the best from start to finish, had an idea it was the flip to "Somebody", what a double sider then.

Kev

Ke, 

Social source share

Now here's a funny thing as I cherish this record for the other side "I'm Serious About Lovin' You"

Social source share

Guest Paul

Now here's a funny thing as I cherish this record for the other side "I'm Serious About Lovin' You"

Hello John, another man with excellent taste, it goes to show how great those Lou Courtney tracks were because it's so hard to pick a favourite.

From what I recall he wrote every song on that album.

Immense talent.

P.S.  It was a great band too, featuring Andrew Smith who was one of my favourite drummers and a good writer and arranger - as shown on gems such as 'I Don't Wanna Leave You' by Debbie Taylor and 'Love Jones' by Norma Jenkins.
Edited by Paul
Social source share

Guest Paul

Still do Paul, Tomo put it all on CD for me, Bully then kindly found a 1st issue vinyl for me, its up there with the best from start to finish, had an idea it was the flip to "Somebody", what a double sider then.

Kev

Kev, we could probably share a record collection because our tastes are so similar but I really need to share a dropbox folder with you.

Meanwhile here's another "record voucher".

Sell it to a hungry kid at school and put the cash towards another 45.

post-3850-0-19443400-1373037217_thumb.jp

Paul

Social source share

Kev, we could probably share a record collection because our tastes are so similar but I really need to share a dropbox folder with you.

Meanwhile here's another "record voucher".

Sell it to a hungry kid at school and put the cash towards another 45.

attachicon.gifrecord voucher.jpg

Paul

:lol:

Absolutely Paul, me and Tomo have one, he is technical so he set it up, any chance you could sort it :thumbup:

Best

Kev

Social source share

Also can't forget how good this tune is, especially this 1st version from 1970. Great crossover dancer from Mr. Tyrone Davis that was his most commercially successful, but still need not be overlooked. Should be pennies at most.

Tyrone Davis - Turn Back The Hands Of Time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UChJEJj6GrQ

• Helpful 2
Social source share

• 5 months later...
Guest Dave Turner

Ko Ko Taylor's cut of the Etta's "I'd Rather Go Blind".

Under a fiver cheapie on Alligator

As a side note I always find it a laff that Clarence Carter also recorded "I'd Rather Go Blind"   :huh:

Hold on to yer seat 'cause it's bastard to dance to

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Also can't forget how good this tune is, especially this 1st version from 1970. Great crossover dancer from Mr. Tyrone Davis that was his most commercially successful, but still need not be overlooked. Should be pennies at most.

Tyrone Davis - Turn Back The Hands Of Time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UChJEJj6GrQ

Had this on "repeat" on the car coming back from Brussels this week....  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Harlem by Bill Withers on Sussex.

Not even a fiver can be picked up for 50p or a £1.00.

Slow start but builds and builds in tempo

Best value soul 45 ever. sounds a million dollars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpn4D5L67QI

Brilliant track. Really strong lyrics. I can't remember where I got hold of this but it was always one I'd put on the old tape swops in the 80's. One that got me interested in the Sussex label.

Social source share

Guest phillybuster

Kev

Kev,great LP but can't really hear Carl Hall.

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Hitting the nail right on the head there, Des  :)

The Intruders Up and Down The Ladder - 

got one of these in the sales box, black gamble label, with name written in biro on the yellow strip, other than that VG++ condition, happy to take a fiver plus post for it if anyone's interested

cheers

Andy

Social source share

Don't know about a fiver, but a great great tune to be had for a snip, maybe £15 or so at a guess, THE ESQUIRES, HOW COULD IT BE.

Lovely tune, cheap as chips for the quality.

What a mega mega toon, this should be an absolute monster me thinks.

Totally agree,the fact it doesn't cost a million quid is the reason it ain't played out,which is a real shame! It's a blinder!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!