Dj Starting Off - Your Top Tip ?

Mike

Ask yourself 'why?'. Why be a dj? What are you bringing to the table, what are you adding? This is the fundamental question. If you are adding something and can describe what that is, then go for it. If you can't, just dont bother. You might enjoy playing other djs records in a different order but it's not all about you:-))

wish I said that, top post thus far. 

Social source share

Guest nsoulxx

If reg asks you have you got any latin, tell her to pi♣♣ off! She always wants to jiggle her bits to use it before you lose it

She takes the lyrics literally

Love ya reg x

Social source share

Always be behind the decks or in the room at least 30 mins before your set, this avoids replication and will help you to start with a floor filler. Don't start with a record which will clear a floor, you can always play something different in the middle so a set.

Good luck to all the scene needs up and coming DJ's as well new and younger soul people.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I would say, do your research of the club, it's history and the people who attend, their music tastes in order that you can formulate an accurate range of records to play,hopefully you will please a good percentage of your audience throughout your spot if not all

Regards Fred ward

Edited by Mr Fred
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I would say, do your research of the club, it's history and the people who attend, their music tastes in order that you can formulate an accurate range of records to play,hopefully you will please a good percentage of your audience throughout your spot if not all

Regards Fred ward

I disagree Fred. It's the promoter's job to book the right DJs, not the DJ's job to fit in. A DJ should be able to turn up and play their best spot without worrying whether they are right for the club. If they aren't, it's the promoter's fault.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Do a prior visit to the venue the month or week before, Arrive early on the night, keep your talk to minimum but thank the  previous Dj for his brilliant set  even if was crap and let you tunes do the talking and last enjoy it

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I disagree Fred. It's the promoter's job to book the right DJs, not the DJ's job to fit in. A DJ should be able to turn up and play their best spot without worrying whether they are right for the club. If they aren't, it's the promoter's fault.

Without getting drawn into lengthy discussions, this guy has never dj'd before so the promoter is taking a risk, however in my opinion i still feel it's important for the new dj to plan for his spot.you don't want to look an idiot if the promoter gets it wrong so thats why i feel to be forewarned is to be forearmed.

Regards Fred

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Take your own Mic/Headphones in your box.....as routine. Was advised that in the first weeks of DJing by legendary figure from Cambridge Max Rees. I've never actually used headphones meself I watch the cue lights and 'see' the music......! But in 20+ years of DJing....since that day Max told me HIS best tip when I asked him.......having a mic......saved looooads of venues nights and ensured i had all i needed to do the job in my box....self sufficient!x

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

• Helpful 1
Social source share

most of the serious above posts are crucial but as dave has already said first and foremost ENJOY!...think you can even get away with making a few mistakes if people feel youre having fun...its contagious you know!

as a dj whats the point of doing it if you dont enjoy it?...unless its a favour for a mate maybe..

as a dancer i dont like to see a dj looking bored playing his own tunes but great to see him or her getting into it whether thats dancing or just singing their hearts out

dean

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

Have a practice at home. Work out what record will compliment (in tempo) with the next one lined up. If going from an uptempo killer dancer to a relaxed beautiful beat ballad...try to wind down gently from uptempo, to mid, to slow....if you get what I mean.

I get frustrated when something just stops dead at my feet whilst on the floor.

Social source share

.....in an emergency.....when lifting the wrong arm of the tune playing.....and the heaving dance floor stops dead in mid spin.....and the silence doesn't impact you.....but when looking up....your eyes tell you ure a donut.......then stay calm....smile at them all.....wave if u like......then lower the arm back down remembering to lower the volume as u do to bring it all back up to 'normal'.........and gesture all to carry on.......it works!x

LUV
SOOTY
X

Eventually the Blackburn crew realised I wos enjoying meself so joined in with such occasions with whistles and applause....EVERYTIME!!!!hehe!x

@@
~

Social source share

I'd say kick off with something upbeat, or uptempo. A peppy dancer perhaps. Amount of times someone's come on and played something oh so deep and meaningful, but it's cods. Pack the floor if you can from the off and try and keep it that way and if the venue is the 100 Club and you're following Mick Smith, pay no mind to his ribbing as to the state of the floor and what you've to live up to!  :thumbsup:

Social source share

oh and don't forget to wear a smile ... Its fantastic to see a Dj visiby enjoying himself /herself  when they are playing , oh and you might take some spare covers ... I laways manage to lose a cover ?

Always if you are a nob twiddler, that includes the playing of LP's to alter speed  ,return the settings to as they should be for the next DJ , because they could be totally unaware that you played an LP on one of the decks ... eeem I could add always check the speed settings :wink: 

Edited by Anais nin Carms
Social source share

Regards Fred ward

I agreed with both these, which is confusing - I agree that the full responsibility in the right D.J's being booked lays with the promoter, but at the same time, there's something to be said for doing a bit of research (fine tuning if you like) Hopefully you would have attended the place as a punter anyway, so are 'part of it'

Anyway, back to 'Sharp Top Tips' (hope this post is ok with you Mike)

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

Social source share

Enjoy it, let the punters enjoy it, make sure you have the tools for the job but not worn/played out tools :P

End every record with "There we go.....1965 on *insert label here*" :elvis:

You could make the next dj work harder :sweatingbullets:  by playing their biggies before they come on :wicked: , as long as they are real records tho :yes:"‹ 

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

dont turn up with only 25 records for your 1 hr spot as if your not on first then you can gurantee the preceeding dj's will play all the records in your box,

unless your names rockerfeller, or gates etc :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Be original.

Have some jingles made or take a cute dog.

Hi mate......or dj as if you were tony blackburn lol
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I agreed with both these, which is confusing - I agree that the full responsibility in the right D.J's being booked lays with the promoter, but at the same time, there's something to be said for doing a bit of research (fine tuning if you like) Hopefully you would have attended the place as a punter anyway, so are 'part of it'

Anyway, back to 'Sharp Top Tips' (hope this post is ok with you Mike)

All the best,

Len, you can research all ya like....if the club don,t play what you like...then you shouldn,t be djing there.....simple maxim to keep everyone happy
Social source share

Enjoy it, let the punters enjoy it, make sure you have the tools for the job but not worn/played out tools :P

End every record with "There we go.....1965 on *insert label here*" :elvis:

You could make the next dj work harder :sweatingbullets:  by playing their biggies before they come on :wicked: , as long as they are real records tho :yes:"‹ 

Butch came on straight after me at the 100 club, one of the best sets i've heard him play, when it comes to playing records he's just a natural.

Cheers Billy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Len, you can research all ya like....if the club don,t play what you like...then you shouldn,t be djing there.....simple maxim to keep everyone happy

I agree Terry, hopefully the promoter chooses the D.J because they would suit their club, but I've seen D.J's booked because a promoter has enjoyed them at another club (where they have gone down well) but not considered if they would suit their own club (Basically just 'blindly' booked em)

It can be torturous for the D.J to find himself in that position, so if their 'research' makes them come to the conclusion you mention above - that the club doesn't play what they like (or at least what their 'forte' is) then that is when they should politely decline the booking - I got asked to D.J at a place in Northampton the other month by someone who hadn't seen me D.J for years, I said to leave it that month, and I went as a punter to check the place out first - As it happens, the club suited me, so I went ahead and did it a couple of months later.

I know exactly what you are saying - when I say 'research', I don't by any means expect someone to change their individual style to suit the club they have been asked to D.J at - That would be D.Jing just to be a D.J (Surely that 'Malarkey' doesn't go on does it? :excl:)

....That would be akin to me D.Jing at Burnley, then Danny D.Jing at a 'Midtempo Night' - We both may well 'scrape' through, but what would be the point when others would 'fit the bill' so much better?

All the best,

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest soulbhoy

everyone has better taste,records than you................total pish,play what you want,and believe in it,even classics from years ago have to get revieved at some point.                                                    

sorry,v,drunk while posting,but you get the jist.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!