Buying Price Please

Philb

• Replies 20
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest Garry Huxley

i sold the re issue for £50 to a dj on the scooter scene after he pressured me for a couple of months, that was about 6 years ago.

top class tune by the way, happy hunting

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

bought it in L A and the guy in the record store told me that only 100 were made and was a realy dark blue label but i cant remember the label name but it was not ole 9 and was nearmint but poor sound quality

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

Got'cha,,never heard of that one. nothing's sacred any more :(

used to play it out on the scooter scene as it was not the place to play ovo then due to excess booze including me,

another record i sold around the same time thinking was a cover up was Chip Tyler if you ask me, It was a real one, Win some lose some, only cost me $1

sold it for £40 again a scooter dj, "IV'E GOTTA STOP THE DRINK" £300 + now i think

Social source share

used to play it out on the scooter scene as it was not the place to play ovo then due to excess booze including me,

another record i sold around the same time thinking was a cover up was Chip Tyler if you ask me, It was a real one, Win some lose some, only cost me $1

sold it for £40 again a scooter dj, "IV'E GOTTA STOP THE DRINK" £300 + now i think

Think I could be persuaded to let a mint Ron Baxter go for £400 and maybe a similar amount for an original Chip Tyler too

Steve

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

Think I could be persuaded to let a mint Ron Baxter go for £400 and maybe a similar amount for an original Chip Tyler too

Steve

Yeah dont i know but as i said win some lose some, none of us know everything, its a buyers market, if its not the right price it wont sell,but there are people out there that will pay silly money to get that tune that they want

Social source share

Yeah dont i know but as i said win some lose some, none of us know everything, its a buyers market, if its not the right price it wont sell,but there are people out there that will pay silly money to get that tune that they want

Buyers market? Why do people keep saying this. Many rarities it isn't a buyers market, most in-demand records, the top 500 its a sellers market. It's only a buyers market if there is no demand and the seller can't afford to keep it. Most dealers I know stick them back in the box rather than take a loss. Many prices that have dropped are often because demand dropped, copies turn up and prices are settling back down to a more reasonable figure after the influx of money from the returnees.

There is still a lot of money about.

Back on topic, Andy Dyson had the studio acetate of Ron Baxter.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

Buyers market? Why do people keep saying this. Many rarities it isn't a buyers market, most in-demand records, the top 500 its a sellers market. It's only a buyers market if there is no demand and the seller can't afford to keep it. Most dealers I know stick them back in the box rather than take a loss. Many prices that have dropped are often because demand dropped, copies turn up and prices are settling back down to a more reasonable figure after the influx of money from the returnees.

There is still a lot of money about.

Back on topic, Andy Dyson had the studio acetate of Ron Baxter.

agree but i dont do top 500

Social source share

agree but i dont do top 500

Don't mean to be rude Garry, but what exactly does that mean? There are a lot of great, 'underplayed' and collectable records in Kev Roberts' first Top 500 book.

Examples, which a lot of serious collectors would love (and I would personally be proud to own or play out - especially at ovo events),  include:

Cairos

Eddie Parker

Del Larks

Al Williams

Johnny Hampton

Don Gardner

Willie Hutch

Debonairs

Eddie Daye

Melvin Davis

Joe Matthews

People's Choice

Empires

Masqueraders - DYLMB

Pat Lewis - NOTL

Ivorys

Inspirations - NOECTYP

Lillie Bryant

Dean Courtney - LYJCWA

Tamala Lewis

Frankie Beverly - BOMH

Candi Staton - NYGTUH

JoAnn Courcy

Eula Cooper

De-Lites

Jackie Beavers - INMB

Professionals

Larry Clinton

- and that's not even counting many of the cheaper items.

Plus, from Kev's 'bubbling under' selection:

Inspirations - YWIMC

Donna King

Rita & Tiaras

Norma Jenkins

Yvonne Vernee

Lynne Vernado - WAWL

Just Brothers - Carlena

Ellusions

Gwen Owens - YWAN

And then, there are those that I, personally, don't even like much:

Mr. Soul

Magnetics - LIG (love HYMOS though!)

Jimmy Burns

John & Wierdest

Billy Woods

William Powell

Damon Fox

George Pepp

Tommy Ridgley

OK, so they are not new discoveries, or unknowns, but (especially at ovo events where they are none too common) they are generally very welcome additions to the playlist. Granted, at 'upfront' all-nighters they are not going to dominate the sets of Butch or Mick H. etc., but these records (and others) are worthy of significant respect.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

its just that i dont realy own many top 500 as i tend to lean towards soulfull R&B or midtempo or stuf that ive never heard before, I do probbally have most of the top 500 on the kent and goldmine CD's, they havent been out of the cupboard in years, but i wouldent get rid of them as i actually like most of them

I just wouldent pay to go to an oldies night, All that apart if i had a real RON BAXTER i would be proud to play it out occasionly.

Each to their own

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!