Dave Godin

Soul News Announcement

Dave Godin died peacefully in his sleep on the morning of Friday October 15th. He had been ill for some time and was fully accepting of his fate, though true to himself he put up a brave fight.

Dave was a pioneer of Blackamerican music and soul music in particular throughout his life. The highlights of his endless championing of the cause were his working with Berry Gordy in establishing Tamla Motown as an entity in this country; his passion for, and the coining of, the genres Northern Soul and Deep Soul and his series of four CDs of "Dave Godin's Deep Soul Treasures" which he claimed were the proudest achievements of his life. He was the world's foremost soul music journalist for many years and wrote intelligently and illuminatingly on the subject, particularly in his Blues and Soul magazine column in the 60s and 70s. His grasp and understanding of Blackamerican social and political life gave him an insightful perspective on the music that made his writing so vital.

He was also a renowned expert on films and a passionate Animal Rights activist as well as being a committed anarchist, vegan, pro-life, Esperanto speaker and supporter of the Jain religion.

Details of his funeral will be posted as soon as we have them. It is hoped that there will be a celebratory soul dance on the evening of the funeral.

Cards can be sent to

Dave Godin in memorium

27 Clifton Crescent South

Rotherham

S Yorks

S65 2AR

Dave wished any donations to be sent to:

Dr Elizabeth Svendsen

The Donkey Sanctuary

Sidmouth

Devon

EX10 0NU

UK

Cheques payable to the The Elisabeth Svendsen Trust For Children And Donkeys

We have set up a message board for any thoughts or reminiscences on Dave's life at the 6TS website www.6ts.info The direct link is https://pub18.bravenet.com/guestbook/1467978738

A fuller obituary will be released after the weekend.

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

Just now, I am finding it hard to find adequate words to express how I feel so I will leave it to Dave's much adored role model (his description!) Greta Garbo, who said; "Every one of us lives his life just once; if we are honest, to live once is enough."

Dave absolutely lived his life to the maximum, filling it with such experiences that we can only imagine in our wildest dreams- more than a lifetime's worth!

I'm sure there will be plaudits aplenty and an abundance of anecdotes and when I've gathered my thoughts, I will relate some of the Dave-isms that have made me laugh and cry during the time that I have had the fortune to know him.

Miss you already, Dave.

Kitty

Social source share

Sad news indeed about Dave Godin, I have mentioned this before, but make no apologies for remembering a unusual soul evening back in 1992 when Dave sat on stage with a deck at his side then played his all time top 10 records, and in between tracks he gave a reading of what those records meant to him, and in a wider context meant to black America, a fascinating evening indeed and i had the pleasure to shake the fellows hand and buy him a beer.

Dave Godin Rest In Peace.

post-1127-1098012330_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brett
Social source share

Very sad news

My first accounter to Dave Godin's writings was as a young 14 year old in mid 70s, then and later on his column was always the first "turn to", when think back have to say his writings were very influential.

There are a couple of articles from the early 70s in the new and old articles sections.

While they are event specfic, do have a large number of old b&s available and will be searching thorugh them later for ones that illustrates his passion and commitment both to the music and the artists, suggestions welcome

Blackpool Mecca 1971

Social source share

Dave's comrade of 40 odd years, David Nathan, has written a tribute to him.

https://www.soulmusic.com/EYS-DaveG.htm

Also I just wanted to restate that it was Dave's wish that any donations should be sent to:

Dr Elizabeth Svendsen

The Donkey Sanctuary

Sidmouth

Devon EX10 0NU

Cheques payable to the "The Elisabeth Svendsen Trust For Children And Donkeys".

Donations can also be made online at:

https://www.thedonkeysanctuary.org.uk/site/Donate_Online.html

Cheers, Kolla x

---------------------------------------

Book of Condolence

Social source share

This is awful, awful news.

I feel awkward and clumsy trying to write anything of value. I guess it may be enough to say that Dave, through his writing, changed my life; I am certain I am not the only one.

I joined Grammar school in 1969 and it was all peace and love and progressive music. As the only soul boy in my year, it was hard to "keep the faith". Dave gave me ammunition to justify my musical and lifestyle choices.

I hope he knows how many people he touched in such a positive way. I would love to have hung out with him, but the only chance I got to meet him I was so star struck that I just mumbled incoherently and nervously. Nevertheless, I always felt that I "knew" him, and regarded him as an ally and friend.

I think that there will be many more eloquent and well written tributes from people who knew the guy so I'll just close with a post script that I suspect would please him more than anything;

Dave, last year, at last, I became a vegetarian. Yep, you made a difference that way too.

Rest in peace Soul Brother Number One.

Colin

Social source share

I met Dave, regrettably for the first and only time, at a Cleethorpes all-nighter in 1975, by which time I had been a disciple for some years. Like all of us, I devoured all things Godin and, as Ady pointed out, there is abso******lutely no doubt about the influence he had on that 'Northern' generation in terms of our musical tastes and our attitudes to life.

For what it's worth, what impressed me most about him, regardless of the subject matter, was his unswerving defence of the most vulnerable and less fortunate. On the Northern Scene, this displayed itself in his constant championing of the cause of the creators of the music, rather than those that were lucky enough to find it and play it. It's ancient history now, of course, but one suspects that a few of the feathers Dave ruffled at the time remain ruffled to this day!

I just think that we've been lucky to have such a remarkable character as Dave Godin around and on our side. As a man of the people he could articulate our thoughts in a way which no one else could, and his writings over the years stand testimony to his passion and understanding of what Northern Soul really should be about.

Dave Godin - top human being.

Social source share

These tributes are very moving. I hope that those who were close to Dave draw comfort from posts like this.

I wrote earlier but I wanted to re-inforce something: Dave actually changed people's lives for the better. Thousands of people who never met him were touched by his idealism, his humanity and his exquisite good taste in music.

Social source share

I didnt know Dave, but I knew what he had done for the Scene, as Randy spoke about him and had a lot of respect for him. They would speak often over the phone.

Dave wrote on Randy's tribute that "Randy was to hang on at The Gates until he got there, and they would sort them out together, and in the meantime Randy was to look after all the departed companion animals that have featured in Dave's life and tell them he would be joining them one day" now that day was come - they can talk to their hearts content.

Social source share

For what its worth...

Although I never knew Dave personally or even met him, I always respected his expertise and his contributions to the world of soul music. And I gather from everything that I've ever read about him over the years, that he was one righteous person indeed and a top-class individual.

I'm proud to say that one of the most influential people on the scene that I tell people that I am a part of, was a positive role model for all. He was truly a remarkable, humble and multi-faceted human being.

Even I can recognize that all the way over here in the states, so I can only imagine how much all of you who may encountered him or knew him personally must feel. Either way, it's a loss for all of us.

R.I.P. Dave Godin

(agree with you Dayo-He was Soul Brother Number One indeed)

-Jas

Social source share

Sad news.

I remember reading his column in Blues & soul as a 14 y/o paperboy in the early 70`s, to say this man shaped me & thousands of others would be an understatement. I also had the honour to meet the man, PURE CLASS is the only way i can discribe him.

Soul music would not be what is is today in this country & many others if not for Dave Godin.

We have lost someone who can not be replaced.

God bless & rest in peace.

Social source share

I never met Dave Godin but I passed his house quite often as he lived only a few miles from me. I knew very little about him but knew he was a legend of the soul scene. The various photos of him with the Motown stars especially the welcoming comittee at Heathrow airport are fantastic. He obviously was an important character in the introduction of Black American music to the world stage.

As I passed his house I used to think to myself...that is one dinner party I would not refuse!

Shane

Social source share

So, so feeling this sad loss.

A figure to respect and a true authority - I cannot believe this news, one of those bolts from the blue you don't expect to hear.

Sympathies and thoughts to Dave's family, I hope they are given strength in this sad time.

Dave Godin - part of mine and many others lives.

RIP brother.

For you.

Barry

Social source share

Reading some of these posts has bought tears to my eyes. Dave Godin changed so many peoples lives, and for the better.

Definitely Soul Brother Number 1.

It's a good idea to close the site on the day of his funeral, Mike, a great mark of respect.

RIP Dave.

Social source share

One of those situations where I am lost for words, but I hope to make the funeral as a show of respect to this great man. Will never forget when at Randys funeral he humoured me in signing a piece of paper saying he agreed NS shouls have been called Southern soul

Social source share

Raising over £2,000 every year for the NSPCC and World Vision at the Blackpoool Soul Weekender(Fleetwood) will see a slight change this year. KRL are pleased to announce that HALF of everything raised on Sunday,Nov 14 will be given to Dave's chosen charity 'The Donkey Sanctuary'.

[14:00hrs 20 October: Kev, I moved your post here as felt it was a more appropriate place. Kolla]

Social source share

My condolences to Dave's friends and relations.

I only had the honour to meet this legend of the UK soul music scene on a couple of occasions both at equally sad occasions that of Pete Lawson's and Randy's funerals.

I recollect that at Pete's funeral he gave an emotional and eloquent eulogy and at the time had been contributing to Pete's amusing underground fanzine 'The gospel according to Dave Godin'.

Although I didn't have the opportunity to attend Soul events in the 70's his articles that I subsequently read in Blues and Soul were vivid and passionate, and I will treasure these copies with his contributions always - it would be nice to see some of these articles reprinted perhaps.

The obituary in The Times yesterday appeared kind and fitting, and the photo of Dave with Marvin Gaye was very cool - although I suspect Dave will be hanging out with even more cool people upstairs.

Paul

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

The section of 6Ts dedicated to Dave is now live:

Access directly at: www.6ts.info/new/dave

or through the home page.

This is a work in progress so if anyone would like to contribute articles, photos, scans, anecdotes etc etc , we'd be grateful.

Cheers

Social source share

Cheers Steve.

Away from Soul scene, Dave penned many letters and articles on subjects he held equally close to his heart. I've included a couple on the site that he wrote for 'Openly Classist' but hoping to put a few more up in the next week or so.

Dave Flynn has passed on the following email excerpt which are well worth sharing -

Concerning Eddie & Ernie (November 2000)

"We tracked Ernie down in Phoenix, and sadly he has hit very bad times. It was because of this that I compiled the CD in such a way that he would reap the maximum composer royalty payments and advances which might help him get back on his feet again, which was probably why I left off "I Just Can't Do It". But, rest assured, with the additional Eddie & Ernie tracks I've put on the "Deep Soul Treasures" CDs, I shan't rest until all their material is available on CD one way or another! It was Ernie's birthday last week, and some well-wishers put on a small party for him, and happily, his CDs arrived in time for the event, and he was very touched that people had remembered him."

...follow up mail...

"Spoke to our contact in Phoenix who located Ernie for us, and he was there when the CDs arrived at Ernie's parents' house. They are now in their 80s but they really were taken with it all and told Ernie how proud they were of him. John (our contact) then had to sit and read the whole of the booklet to them (Ernie apparently can't read too well - neglected education, and I suppose in those days truancy officers didn't bother about "the black ones"). I've always been taken with the lyric line from James Phelps' "Action": "Those magic moments that I dream exist...", and it is THESE sort of moments that thrill me rather than all the other sort of ballyhoo that most people think SHOULD thrill you."

Use what talent you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best. - Henry Van Dyke

Social source share

I was sad to hear of the news of Dave's death. I met him at randy's funeral and chatted to him there and in subsequent emails leading up the Southgate memorial event in Randy's memory and found him a warm and gentle man whose outlook on, not only the scene but also life in general, mirrored many of my own beliefs. A fitting gesture Mike having the site closed down in respect on the day of his funeral, there are few people IMHO that would have done the same.

I don't think anyone can really document his contribution to the progression and acceptance of BlackAmerican music and culture in this country, so vast and profound has that been.

To his family and friends I pass on my sincere condolenses on their loss, his influence and words will be missed.

TheBigO

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 15 years later...
On 17/10/2004 at 12:26, Guest said:

Sad news indeed about Dave Godin, I have mentioned this before, but make no apologies for remembering a unusual soul evening back in 1992 when Dave sat on stage with a deck at his side then played his all time top 10 records, and in between tracks he gave a reading of what those records meant to him, and in a wider context meant to black America, a fascinating evening indeed and i had the pleasure to shake the fellows hand and buy him a beer.

Dave Godin Rest In Peace.

post-1127-1098012330_thumb.jpg

Dave put myself, Les Cokell and others onto Betty Lavette's Let me down easy around 1970.

He always said this was his all time favourite. Obviously he changed his mind in the late 70s!

Me, Alexander Patton is still my all time favourite since hearing it in 1966

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!