Ike Strong/your Loves Keeps Me Dancing - Butch Version

adamt

My ears may be deceiving me, but I swear that the version of Ike Strong - Your Love Keeps me Dancing that Butch is playing is slightly different that the Marble 7inch.

It sounds almost identical, except the main break of "music...disco....music" (that is repeated in the breaks a few times during the song after "your love keeps me dancing") is, in the version he is playing, saying "music...funky....music"

While I would normally chalk this down to having one too many on the night, the TRUE IMAGE 12 inch version of the same record does have that same chorus of "music...funky...music" instead of the Ike Strong 7inch Marble one. The True Image 12 inch version is too dissimilar to the Ike Strong 7inch so it's definitely not what he is playing, but it almost sounds like a mix between the two (sounding more like the original Ike Strong, but with those lyrics from the True Image one).

You can hear what i'm talking about here:

Ike Strong - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0A1Rrg9ZAs (from 0:55 in)

True Image - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8MOcxs4rsM (from 1:10 in)

Anybody know what Butch's version is??

Social source share

Strange thing is the Funky cut (Ike Strong) say's Disco Music while the Disco cut (True Image) say's Funky Music.

Not heard the new cut yet & would like to & if there is a Will Kerr 7" copy out there I'd quite like it as the 12" is a bit over long IMO.

Social source share

So it is a Will Kerr 7" that's been discussed in the first post then Steve.

Still like to know if there is a connection between the 2 artists. Was once told that Ike Strong was the lead singer of True Image.

Sounds possible by the comments by Adam T.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

So it is a Will Kerr 7" that's been discussed in the first post then Steve.

Still like to know if there is a connection between the 2 artists. Was once told that Ike Strong was the lead singer of True Image.

Sounds possible by the comments by Adam T.

I've always thought that it's Ike on  True Image - too similar.

Social source share

If it's an acetate it could just be an alternative take by Ike Strong before they decided which cut to use for the Mable release

I think if there was a True Image 7" on Willker a few would have been seen over the years

Social source share

Slightly off-topic, but does anyone know if Ike Strong's "Boogie Land" was first issued as the flipside on the MABLE 7" or on the WILLKERR 7" (which also seems to be a lot rarer than its 12" counterpart).

Wow..  never new that there's a 7" on Willkerr.  you have one?  Is the price similiar to Mable or, hopefuly, lower?

Social source share

Wow..  never new that there's a 7" on Willkerr.  you have one?  Is the price similiar to Mable or, hopefuly, lower?

I have the 7" of Ike Strong's "Boogie Land" vocal b/w instrumental on WILLKERR. Will dig it out and put up a scan. I've only ever seen it for sale once and that was when I bought it. Would probably go cheaper than the MABLE 7" if it turned up, but it's far rarer.

There's a 7" by Infinity on WILLKERR as well.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!