News: Bobby 'Blue' Bland Rest In Peace

Guest john s

This looks like a hoax!

https://en.mediamass.net/people/bobby-bland/deathhoax.html

"Bobby Bland Death Hoax Dismissed Since Singer Is ‘Alive And Well’

On Sunday (June 23) the singer's reps officially confirmed that Bobby Bland is not dead. “He joins the long list of celebrities who have been victimized by this hoax. He's still alive and well, stop believing what you see on the Internet,” they said.

"
Social source share

Bobby "Blue" Bland, the legendary R&B singer who made his some of his finest records for Houston label Duke/Peacock -- including arguably his crowning achievement, 1961's Two Steps From the Blues -- has passed away at age 83, according to reports.
Citing a report from the Memphis Music Foundation, that city's CBS-TV affiliate WREG posted a notice of Bland's death at 7:49 Central Time. Despite rumors of his death being an Internet hoax, it was also reported and later updated by the Memphis Commercial Appeal. Bland's son Rodd told the Associated Press, via the San Jose Mercury-News, that his father, a 1992 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee, had died at about 5 30 p.m. Memphis time.

Unfortunately the sad news reported appears to be now confirmed

The quote above is from the news article linked below titled

R.I.P. Bobby "Blue" Bland: R&B Singer With Deep Houston Ties Dies at 83

https://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/2013/06/rip_bobby_blue_bland_rb_singer.php

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just yesterday left something on the thread for Mary Love, so this really does come as a shock.

I'm obviously not alone, but Ive been a Bobby Bland fan from the very start of my love for Soul Music, ever since a mates mum sold me the 'Piece of Gold' LP as school. My only regret has been that the one occasion he came over to play at then Albert Hall, with Van Morrison, I didn't make the effort to see him live. He will be sorely missed by all, but personally his music has been such a constant in my life...

Lades and Gentlemen, here's the man! I mean the man! The Sensational, The Incomparable, The Dynamic...

Bobby, 'Bobby' Bland !!!

Rest in Peace Bobby...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhiOzqISD-w

• Helpful 1
Social source share

One of the greatest vocalists, that's for sure.

A catalogue undiminished by time and an a legacy that will endure.

I saw him in a seedy supper club in San Diego in the early 80's and without doubt one of the most awe inspiring performances I've ever been so fortunate to witness.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Sad day, one of the true greats who trod that thin dividing line between blues and soul so gracefully

RIP Bobby

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Honey Child will always be one of my favourite soul/RnB records. Unmistakable vocals and the raw passion in his voice is shuddering. Awesome. RIP Bobby.

Social source share

Very sad, I think Bobby could be described as a soul fans' singer. It took me quite a while to "get" him but once I did it was marvelous. I think he's a very black singer too, his hits were mainly R&B, from all his scores of releases not one entered the Hot 100 top twenty and not one British hit of any description.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

One of the greatest vocalists, that's for sure.

A catalogue undiminished by time and an a legacy that will endure.

I saw him in a seedy supper club in San Diego in the early 80's and without doubt one of the most awe inspiring performances I've ever been so fortunate to witness.

Likewise, saw him in a small Blues bar in Toronto 5 years or so ago and he was absolutely bloody brilliant, he did 2 shows as well that night

RIP

Edited by newer
Social source share

Guest BILL THE BLOCK

I saw him at the sadly no more astoria in charing cross rd london,he was sharing the bill with irma thomas and earl king.He was incredible that night ,he somehow managed to crossover to soul  and still sound bluesy.He will be sadly missed.

Social source share

Guest Brian Fradgley

His California Album will always remain one of my all time favourites and a true classic.

Legend

Brian Fradgley

Social source share

Just read about bobby bland loved shoes 

but 83 is'nt  a bad age 

RIP Bobby

Richo

Social source share

Bobby Bland made a huge impression on my early soul & R&B listening. What an incredible body of work he has left us!.

I love nearly all of the Duke material ...B sides included.

Thanks to Dave Godin for pointing the way in the many  Bobby Bland sides he wrote about. 

Anyone wanting some related inexpensive reading material ought to pick up Charles Keil's "Urban Blues" book in which Bobby's

on-stage act circa 1965/6 is observed.

Edited by PhilReeves
Social source share

Jaco, I'd be curious to know if you remember the name of that club? I'm originally from San Diego and love to find out more about its seemingly non-existent history with soul music. 

Social source share

Jaco, I'd be curious to know if you remember the name of that club? I'm originally from San Diego and love to find out more about its seemingly non-existent history with soul music. 

Hey Andreas, I don't think there is any chance of me remembering it.

We were staying in La Jolla and on the same night we watched UB40 somewhere in San Diego at what I imagine was a basketball arena.

We then had to get to this club where I'd seen Bobby Bland advertised.

It was definitely what you would describe as a supper club - I remember he came on certainly after midnight.

I think my wife and I plus maybe one more were the only white people in the club, not that it was a problem, but it would not be a stretch to say it was not in an upscale area of the city!

He asked the audience to write down requests and I asked for "Shoes" and "Yum yum tree" and he actually gave us a few bars of "Shoes" laughing that his band wouldnt even know it!

It was a memorable night nonetheless.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It's a trite phrase sometimes bandied about with no thought behind it but there are some people whos contribution cannot possibly be measured
- I've been trying really hard to think of a duff record he made, couldn't do it. Even at his worst ...................

For me the telling record was St James Infirmary, out of the numberless versions out there his was the best- simple , passionate, words almost fail me.
Studio, live didn't matter.

Saw him for free at Lincoln Center quite a few years ago, open air, with James Cotton wailing, Magic.

Gone but not forgotten.

RIP
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

It's a trite phrase sometimes bandied about with no thought behind it but there are some people whos contribution cannot possibly be measured

- I've been trying really hard to think of a duff record he made, couldn't do it. Even at his worst ...................

For me the telling record was St James Infirmary, out of the numberless versions out there his was the best- simple , passionate, words almost fail me.

Studio, live didn't matter.

Saw him for free at Lincoln Center quite a few years ago, open air, with James Cotton wailing, Magic.

Gone but not forgotten.

RIP

You nailed it .Perfect tribute!.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

He was one of my favourite artists and without doubt blessed by a higher being with one of those unique voices don't think there was a piece of music he did that I couldn't connect with.His feet were in Hell and soul was in heaven God Bless Bobby Bland.I'll meet you at the cross roads Sir.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!