The Tempests - Would You Believe (smash)

Guest Dan

following on from andy bb's 'give us some tunes' thread, which he kicked off with the tempests' 'i don't want to lose her', i thought i'd stick the whole album up for those of you who haven't heard it (worth £50 of anyone's cash).

stand out tracks (for me) are obviously the monstrous stafford, er, monster 'someday', 'ain't no big thing' and 'idwtlh' but i also love 'what you gonna do', thougyh i couldn't dance to it thewse days. and i certainly couldn't dance to 'can't get you out of my mind'...must be in the top 10 of all time fastest soul records :thumbsup:

going to take a couple of posts but hope you enjoy a quality soul album :thumbsup:

Tempests___Ain_t_No_Big_Thing__Would_You_Believe___Smash_.mp3

Tempests___Ain_t_That_Enough__Would_You_Believe___Smash_.mp3

Tempests___Can_t_Get_You_Out_Of_My_Mind__Would_You_Believe___Smash_.mp3

Tempests___What_You_Gonna_Do__Would_You_Believe___Smash_.mp3

Social source share

• Replies 22
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

following on from andy bb's 'give us some tunes' thread, which he kicked off with the tempests' 'i don't want to lose her', i thought i'd stick the whole album up for those of you who haven't heard it (worth £50 of anyone's cash).

It was a £40 LP in the 80's!

I think it would be a lucky person who bagged a copy in excellent shape for £50!

I saw it on a list yesterday for £70 (and i thought that was cheap!)

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

Nice one Dan!

My favourite album - not a duff track on it. And what a voice - probably my favourite singer too.

:thumbsup:

A real shame they did so little

Social source share

Nice one Dan!

My favourite album - not a duff track on it. And what a voice - probably my favourite singer too.

:thumbsup:

A real shame they did so little

a great voice you're right andy, though i think it's the trumpets that do it for me...a really keening, sad, eerie sort of sound

presume you;'ve heard the few other things on the singles?

i'll stick those up later if no-one else does :thumbsup:

Edited by Dan
Social source share

just checked popsike steve - last one on ebay went for £52 in march

last track here:

Just a quick update - just checked with Chris Anderton and he said it flew out at £70 and tells me they normally do!

Sorry for going on about it but i'm just qualifying my original post so no one thinks i was just making it up as i went along :thumbsup:

Either way, it's a great LP :thumbsup:

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Great LP, found mine on ebay for $5, quite rare as it's on a dutch phillps label... never seen another for sale, any got an idea of value?

The Smash issue used to be quite easy to find, I remember Crazy Beat records in Upminster had a copy in the shop for months!

Social source share

Gret stuff, Dan. Thanks a lot for that. And as you say the trumpets are great.I'd only heard 'Someday' before this.What's known about The Tempests?

10 piece band out of charlotte nc billy

all white apart from the singer who's black

recorded this album and two or three singles on smash

here's the front cover showing the group

post-118-1149093222.jpg

post-118-1149093444.jpg

Edited by Dan
Social source share

Fantastic album this, managed to prise one off Andy Dennison up here for 40, can't believe Someday and Lose Her never made it to 45s :angry: , still its a great album and had a few heads looking over the decks when i've played it out, top stuff! whistling.gif

Lenny

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

a great voice you're right andy, though i think it's the trumpets that do it for me...a really keening, sad, eerie sort of sound

presume you;'ve heard the few other things on the singles?

i'll stick those up later if no-one else does :yes:

Come on then... post them up! I'm frothing at the mouth :yes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!