News: New Impressions Throwback Style Single

boba

I like this, obviously by the semi original group, but if you like interpretations of Curtis mayfields work try 'the carter baron' by Oddisee, fabulous track....

I'll be picking this up as soon as the shops open Monday...

Mal.c

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

Also, I wouldn't exactly call the group "semi-original", at least wiith a negative connotation. This is the lineup since about 1970, pretty much since curtis left to go solo (ignoring a small period of less than a year where donny hathaway sang lead). it's not like curtis died and reggie replaced him. plus reggie is an awesome dude and a great singer.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

just clarifying, the group definitely isn't the original group with curtis, i just wanted to make sure people weren't discouraged thinking it was a "fake" group or something. they have a long history. thanks a lot.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Also, I wouldn't exactly call the group "semi-original", at least wiith a negative connotation. This is the lineup since about 1970, pretty much since curtis left to go solo (ignoring a small period of less than a year where donny hathaway sang lead). it's not like curtis died and reggie replaced him. plus reggie is an awesome dude and a great singer.

Donny Hathaway? or Leroy Hutson?  :g:

Social source share

Bob, as  mentioned above, it was Leroy Hutson that replaced Curtis wasn't it? Then Leroy left and Ralph Johnson and Reggie Torian joined for the First Impressions LP around '73 onwards?

Did Reggie Torian record before he joined the Impressions?

Social source share

Bob, as  mentioned above, it was Leroy Hutson that replaced Curtis wasn't it? Then Leroy left and Ralph Johnson and Reggie Torian joined for the First Impressions LP around '73 onwards?

Did Reggie Torian record before he joined the Impressions?

I already admitted my stupid mistake saying Donnie instead of Leroy.

However, Ralph did not join until after Reggie joined. Listen to my interview with Reggie, it's super interesting. Reggie also previously recorded as a member of the Enchanters on Golden Ear.

Edited by boba
Social source share

What was the line up for the Cotillion tracks ?

Sam, Fred, Reggie + Nate Evans (the "This Time With Feeling" guy).

Come on our kid, if you don't know the full history of the greatest soul group EVER , you're no kind of real soul fan  :yes:

post-22122-0-99872100-1372744928.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Come on our kid, if you don't know the full history of the greatest soul group EVER , you're no kind of real soul fan   :yes:

i only have 45's no LP  so i asked the question                             BUT I'M NOT BITING YOU B******D  :wicked:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

on the LP cover of the cotillion LP is sam gooden, fred cash, reginald torian, and nate evans. but nate didn't replace ralph johnson until the end of the cotillion era, when ralph went to join Mystique.

Bob,

so were Ralph's vocals actually featured on any / many of the tracks featured on the Cotillion LP ?

He didn't get a name check on the album sleeve, it was Nate who was listed as a member of the group and figured in the group photo that adorned the album's front cover.

I think I'd have been very pissed off if I had sung on some of the tracks but not received my due credit. 

Social source share

Bob,

so were Ralph's vocals actually featured on any / many of the tracks featured on the Cotillion LP ?

He didn't get a name check on the album sleeve, it was Nate who was listed as a member of the group and figured in the group photo that adorned the album's front cover.

I think I'd have been very pissed off if I had sung on some of the tracks but not received my due credit. 

I actually think Ralph sang on most of the songs.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!