Flaming Arrow/crow Labels

Wilxy

Could anyone kindly enlighten me with any information regarding the 60's Detroit labels,Flaming Arrow and Crow please, or possibly point me in the direction of a discography etc.? Also any soundclips of any of the 45's would be very much appreciated :yes:

Cheers wilxy :hatsoff2:  

Social source share

Wilxy,

From R & B Indies and on the face of it, incomplete:

19 Nancy Butts - "I want to hold your hand baby/Your friend will take the man"

26 The Mighty Chevelles - "Bus stop/Unknown"

35 Gloria Walker & the Chevelles - "Talking about my baby/The gallop"

36 Gloria Walker & the Chevelles - "Need of you/Please don't desert me baby"

37 Gloria Walker & the Chevelles - "Walking with my new love/You hit the spot baby"

38 Nancy Butts - "Go on to her/You're gonna need somebody"

39 Nancy Butts - "Let me be free/Please, please tell me baby"

52 J Star - "Hello baby/Meat ball"

58 Jean Shannon - "Unknown/Unknown"

319 Angela Davis & Rueben Fisher - "Time don't wait for no one/Unknown"

2829 Angela Davis & the Chevelles - "My love is so strong/Unknown (instrumental)"

? Angela Davis & the Chevelles - "Love bumpin' Pt.1/Love bumpin' Pt.2"

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Flaming Arrow 37,  Gloria Walker- Walking With My New Love, was a big record in the Suriname clubs in the Netherlands and was booted.

There is a sound clip of this and info of some other Flaming Arrow artists on the Sir Shambling site.

www.sirshambling.com  

I thought the label was southern USA but could be wrong.

Rick

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I thought the label was southern USA but could be wrong.

The label address was 10049 Terry, Detroit.

Both labels owned by Eugene Davis.

I think the doubt about the Detroit connection isn't where the labels were based, but about where some of the tracks were recorded.

Some interesting controversy too around the origin of one of the best tracks on Flaming Arrow - Nancy Butts - I Want To Hold Your Hand Baby (I Get Lonely).

Cheers

Richard

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Nancy Butts page on SirShambling ...........

https://www.sirshambling.com/artists_2012/B/nancy_butts/index.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKuEIuDiohc

... AND details of her obit notice in a local (to her) newspaper ........

Macon Telegraph --- September 20th, 1997 ........

Obituary notices are listed in alphabetical order: Nancy ButtsSparta
Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Other SirShambling pages for Crow / Flaming Arrow artists .........

https://www.sirshambling.com/artists_2012/P/arthur_ponder/index.php

https://www.sirshambling.com/artists_2012/W/gloria_walker/

It seems then that Eugene Davis had strong links with the Georgia area (Macon, Atlanta) as he seemed to sign artists from around there & take them up to Detroit to cut tracks (though Gloria Walker cut some of her tracks in Muscle Shoals). Anyone know who / what that link was ?

Eugene cartainly had links with Otis Redding's manager Phil Walden who was based in Macon.

A few folk say Flaming Arrow some of the time based itself in Georgia (perhaps when the label was distributed by Atlantic / Cotillion) but do any 45's exist that show a 'non-Detroit' address ?  

Lots of times back in the 60's, the guys that acted as 'local scouts' for distant record labels were the local soul radio station's DJ's.

If it was a person at an Atlanta radio station that hooked local artists up with Eugene Davis, then it must have been someone at WAOK as that was the only 'black music' stn in the city back then. WAOK's most famous jock was a Cleveland born white guy Bob McKee. Up to the end of the 1950's, Bob McKee ran an Atlanta nightclub that was a hangout for the local teenage crowd (McKee's Beat). Anyone know if he was mates with Eugene at Flaming Arrow ?

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Weren't some of the Flaming Arrow artists also linked with people that worked with Capito ? The Capito label owner must have been this guy from Ohio ........

WARREN, OHIO - Lawrence ''Larry'' Capito Sr., 83, died Friday, May 28, 2010, at Windsor Liberty Health Care Center.

He was born Nov. 20, 1926, in Warren, the son of Paul and Matilda DeNittis Capito. He retired from the General Motors assembly plant as a dingman after 18 years. Before that, he worked as a cement finisher for Mathews Concrete Co. He was a member of St. Mary Church and enjoyed making wine. He was a Navy veteran of World War II, serving from Dec. 1, 1944, to Dec. 22, 1945.

I know Warren is near to Cleveland and not Detroit, so maybe the Flaming Arrow / Capito related Donald McCants was from the 'Ohio' McCants family (Chicago Gangsters, Rumple-Stilts-Skin, Ivy, Heat Records, etc). 

Maybe Ohio folk (Donald McCants, Bob McKee at WAOK) acted as the go-betweens that hooked the Detroit labels up with Macon / Atlanta based singers. 

Social source share

A piece off the net .............

Steve Chanin has been playing the drums since 1956 with bands in Middle Georgia and Atlanta.

Bands he has played with include The Afro-Jazztet, The Chevelles, Duke DeMay's Trio, Bob Huellemeier's Orchestra, Quintessence, The Red Heifers, The Jazz Association of Macon's Ensemble, The Freedom Jazz Trio, The Monty Cole Quartet and The Southern Gentlemen Dixieland Band In addition he has played with The Macon Symphony Orchestra and for musicals at The Macon Little Theater, Theater Macon and Macon State College.

So the above guy was the drummer with the Chevelles / Mighty Chevelles back in the day.

post-22122-0-18130800-1372925441_thumb.j

post-22122-0-75976500-1372927997_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!