News: John Harris And The Soul Sayers Now Out On 45

Following on from the buzz surrounding this record recently re. its rarity, it would be interesting to hear the opinions of Soul Sourcers about this legitimate reissue.

1. Buy and play in the house.

2.Buy and play out...at last.

3. Ignore and hope to find an original, pay a couple of grand.

I for one have mine ordered, yah beauty.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Following on from the buzz surrounding this record recently re. its rarity, it would be interesting to hear the opinions of Soul Sourcers about this legitimate reissue.

1. Buy and play in the house.

2.Buy and play out...at last.

3. Ignore and hope to find an original, pay a couple of grand.

I for one have mine ordered, yah beauty.

I'd go with number 2 Nic, deserves to be played out

I think I may have got the last one on the website this morning as I tried to order 2, but they only had 1 in stock

Great record

Jim

Social source share

I think I may have got the last one on the website this morning as I tried to order 2, but they only had 1 in stock

Great record

Jim

There are too many good records to mention ,that are great and rare and also re-issued and also many venues with dj's that play em .

Come to think of it ,usually the same venues and dj's that mock rare soul venues and rare soul dj's as the type of places that only play boring chin stroker music ...when it suits lol

Like I said ...it's up to an individuals integrity , if you dj at non ovo venues I won't be offended .

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Great record

Jim

I ordered a couple yesterday morning, order went through OK - It's still appears to be available to pre-order right now, are you sure you did try to order 2?

Social source share

I hear Marc Forest play it at Solid Hit Soul and liked it that much I asked him what it was..that was a while ago now so it must be an oldie.. now its been pressed it should be dropped from.the playlists.If these DJs that had it covered it up they might have got a bit of life out of it.

Social source share

I hear Marc Forest play it at Solid Hit Soul and liked it that much I asked him what it was..that was a while ago now so it must be an oldie.. now its been pressed it should be dropped from.the playlists.If these DJs that had it covered it up they might have got a bit of life out of it.

As already stated ,despite others owning and playing it out beforehand ,Paul Sadot alerted us to this in 2010 ..only 3 yrs back ,yrs 3 yrs back ..so in real terms ,the upfront crowd have been enjoying the sound for a pretty short time in terms of the " northern " or rare soul scene .

Why should that deem it a oldie ?

Most records take as long to be broken to the masses and probably longer !

Social source share

As already stated ,despite others owning and playing it out beforehand ,Paul Sadot alerted us to this in 2010 ..only 3 yrs back ,yrs 3 yrs back ..so in real terms ,the upfront crowd have been enjoying the sound for a pretty short time in terms of the " northern " or rare soul scene .Why should that deem it a oldie ?Most records take as long to be broken to the masses and probably longer !

Been around a little longer than three years but Paul more or less brought it to wider acclaim. I think Kitch had it many years?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Been around a little longer than three years but Paul more or less brought it to wider acclaim. I think Kitch had it many years?

Thanks mate ,but I think my first sentence covered that ..

Seem to recall in other thread that Alex Jones was actually playing it out many yrs before .

Owning it for yrs is not same as playing it out ,but obviously shows its known :)

Social source share

Depends if you think it's good enough to play out

Fully understand that point as to where it would fit in at the time you first got it .

Referring to your comment on the Profs 45 and Butch saying the scene wasnt ready for it until another 15yr ?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks mate ,but I think my first sentence covered that ..Seem to recall in other thread that Alex Jones was actually playing it out many yrs before .Owning it for yrs is not same as playing it out ,but obviously shows its known :)

I know what you are saying but Paul was selling it three years ago, he'd obviously been playing it longer to the rare soul crowd.as you rightly say Alex many years before and as Kitch says he was and still is under the radar of most but always plays a decent set of obscurities.

Personally I can't see what the fuss is all about :)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Fully understand that point as to where it would fit in at the time you first got it .Referring to your comment on the Profs 45 and Butch saying the scene wasnt ready for it until another 15yr ?

Proffs still played though by at least three or four Dj's over the years.

It will still be interesting to see if John Harris crosses over to the mainstream northern scene.

Social source share

Proffs still played though by at least three or four Dj's over the years.

It will still be interesting to see if John Harris crosses over to the mainstream northern scene.

I'm with you on that one ..crossing over to the mainstream .

I don't hear too many records that are well established on the rare scene ,being played at mainstream events .

Certainly not all nighter sounds or to be frank ,anything new unless its a remix lol

• Helpful 1
Social source share

That would have been 2010 or 2011 I think ? I believe its safe to say it was Paul Sadot who first integrated it constantly in his sets, trying to make the record popular. At least it was him I in 2009 heard it first play out. Despite his copy selling fast end of 2009/2010 it wasnt like a rush of people who were after it... its safe to say the record still pretty much was unknown to the vast majority of the Rare Soul scene. At least I can assure it was unheard of over here when I started playing it in 2010. Since then it always caused big interest whereever I played it, be it on the continent or the UK (incl its first airing at lifeline). Most of my English friends who came over to Berlin during the last years did not know the record before. John Harris really just took off the last three years.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

That would have been 2010 or 2011 I think ? I believe its safe to say it was Paul Sadot who first integrated it constantly in his sets, trying to make the record popular. At least it was him I in 2009 heard it first play out. Despite his copy selling fast end of 2009/2010 it wasnt like a rush of people who were after it... its safe to say the record still pretty much was unknown to the vast majority of the Rare Soul scene. At least I can assure it was unheard of over here when I started playing it in 2010. Since then it always caused big interest whereever I played it, be it on the continent or the UK (incl its first airing at lifeline). Most of my English friends who came over to Berlin during the last years did not knowrecord before. John Harris really just took off the last three years.

Paul DJ'ed at Lifeline when we were at the Fox so he probably played it there? Can't say for certain though. Alex Jones also DJ'ed at Lifeline before you made your appearance Marc but I have all on remembering what I had for breakfast these days let alone a record played at Lifeline in years gone by.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Not yet. I haven't had an email to say they have been posted, it could be they are still yet to release it.

Just checked - the website is now saying "Ready for shipping" - I'm sure that is a very recent update in the last 2 days, so looks like the pre-orders will go out today / Monday or so, so we should expect delivery in the UK about next Friday / Saturday maybe

Cheers

Mick

Edited by Mick Holdsworth
Social source share

Post is 3,99 Euros, not free. Cheapest way is still to buy it off their website.

Benji,

Strangely, the only country showing up as 3.99 Euros is Germany Everywhere else appears to be Free Post, certainly UK / US / France etc is all free. It may not be intentional, but that's how it is.

In case there's another listing , the item I am talking about is this one ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121148873510

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

mine arrived this morning, not had a chance to open it yet, so something to look forward to when I get home, knowing my luck it will probably be .......

Social source share

Benji,

Strangely, the only country showing up as 3.99 Euros is Germany Everywhere else appears to be Free Post, certainly UK / US / France etc is all free. It may not be intentional, but that's how it is.

In case there's another listing , the item I am talking about is this one ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121148873510

Cheers

Mick

You're right. Post free outside Germany. Think someone @ Bear Family screwed it up when he put up the auction.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!