Knock Your Socks Off

Guest ShaneH

After picking up a copy of June Conquest 'Almost Persuaded' on Fame for a tenner I thought it would be interesting to start the following topic:

What cheap 45 purchased recently blew your socks off?

I can't believe how good my recent find is and for the sum of only 10 English pounds!

Shane

Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Trevski

£10 English pounds will also get you a copy of Barbara Green "Young boy" on Vivid. Top drawer female mid-tempo, very reminisent of of the other Barbara, Ms Lewis. Got one last week, well worth a tenner IMVHO wink.gif

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Guest Trevski

Also issued on Renee 5001... as Barbara Greene.....

WOOF!

link

Qiute right Pikey! Vivid was released'62/63. Renee was '68, I believe, and is a couple of ££ cheaper.

Social source share

After picking up a copy of June Conquest 'Almost Persuaded' on Fame for a tenner  I thought it would be interesting to start the following topic:

I can't believe how good my recent find is and for the sum of only 10 English pounds!

Shane

link

Great track, just listed one on the evil bay

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...me=STRK:MESE:IT

cheers

Paul

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

After picking up a copy of June Conquest 'Almost Persuaded' on Fame for a tenner  I thought it would be interesting to start the following topic:

Shane

link

A Guy spin at Stafford, covered as Laura Green. I paid about £30 at the time, and I wasnt even earning that per week then.

Great record.

Social source share

I've mentioned this one on another thread, but it fits nicely into this.

Johnny Nash - You Never Know - MGM

I picked this up for just over a tenner, couldn't believe it. When I first heard this I thought it must be dear as hell. It certainly sounds it, big production mid-tempo dancer.

If this had have been on a different label who knows......

Jamie

Social source share

link

June Conquest is excellent.. my favourite recent cheapie would have to be Fontella Bass - Lucky In Love.. also about a tenner. Closely followed by Carl Carlton - I Can Feel It which I got for £4.99.

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

June Conquest is excellent.. my favourite recent cheapie would have to be Fontella Bass - Lucky In Love.. also about a tenner. Closely followed by Carl Carlton - I Can Feel It which I got for £4.99.

link

i've said it before and i'll say it again.. that Carl Carlton track is just too good wink.gif timeless, pure and great northern IMO wink.gif

One cheapie that blew my socks off (even tho i had shoes on :o )

Alvin Robinson "bottom of my soul" (Blue Cat)

best

Leo

Social source share

Just got ( yesterday at the Toronto record show ) mint copy of Robert John - Raindrops - A&M for $1 canadian, also

Freddie Houston - Chills and Fever - Regency and 2 45's on the Holiday Inn label from the same dealer for $1 each.

Can anyone give any info on the Holiday Inn label, both 45's are decent soul but not Northern.

Total purchases were 68 45's at an average of $2.50 canadian each!!! Acouple bought blind were filed under B for Bin but lots of nice stuff.

Social source share

Oh, and I got an LP that I left behind loads of times before and thought I ought to finally get myself a copy after hearing a track at A New Chapter at Smersh, London earlier this month. Al Wilson - La La La La La La La La La La La La La Peace Song for a fiver too.

Social source share

Oh, and I got an LP that I left behind loads of times before and thought I ought to finally get myself a copy after hearing a track at A New Chapter at Smersh, London earlier this month. Al Wilson - La La La La La La La La La La La La La Peace Song for a fiver too.

link

I recently picked up Is it possible by Chuck Overton (kapp) for a fiver. Well worth 10 times that amount musically if you ask me.

Social source share

Guest micksmith

ANOTHER CHEAPIE WELL ABOUT £15/£20. IS "THE FANTAISIONS"-UNNECESSARY TEARS NICE LITTLE DANCER. B SIDE AIN'T HALF BAD EITHER-THAT'S WHERE THE ACTION IS.

post-1108-1098288663_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Talking of June Conquest, check out her Gem "All I need" on Windy C, perfect mid-tempo with June showing she has the voice of an angel!

Probably the record that has knocked me for 6 most in the last 12 months is Patti drew "Stop and listen" on Capitol. This is one perfect Northern dancer, I`ve had a few copies and knocked them out at £30 but always get loads of calls for it.

I`ve been asked to write an article for one of the magazines highlighting cheap but good records and I`ve been giving it lots of thought lately......

Chris.

PS, How about both Startells records on Lamar?

Social source share

Freddie Houston - Chills and Fever - Regency and 2 45's on the Holiday Inn label from the same dealer for $1 each.

Can anyone give any info on the Holiday Inn label, both 45's are decent soul but not Northern.

Chills & Fever brilliant but on Old Town - Whats the Regency label or am I just being dim ?

Social source share

ANOTHER CHEAPIE WELL ABOUT £15/£20. IS "THE FANTAISIONS"-UNNECESSARY TEARS NICE LITTLE DANCER. B SIDE AIN'T HALF BAD EITHER-THAT'S WHERE THE ACTION IS.

link

Oh how good that just is...but 20 is not only not a really a bargain, I think it is also a bit over the top. Anyway, as I said, great track whistling.gif

Social source share

That Fontella bass - lucky in love is excellent... check out her I can't rest...

Social source share

That Fontella bass - lucky in love is excellent... check out her I can't rest...

link

gotta agree with Fontella....just keeps going and going,

what about Ann Peebles ''if this is heaven'' great mid tempo for a tenner

Social source share

Shane

link

Fabulous Dimensions - I Can't Take It. I ain't really a mainline 6ts fan but I can't understand how this doesn't get played. Maybe it's just not 'rare (?)' enough? People, keep selling 'em and I'll keep buying 'em!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!