Ebay Now Including Import Charges In Listings ?

Just wondering if anyone knows what the score with this is ? I have at least three 45's in my ebay that i would love to buy , but i cant bring myself to pay what the listing is asking in import charges and shipping ..... it seems like these listings have all of these charges added in with the listing ... does this mean that if we pay this then customs wont charges us ? i cant imagine how i would feel if i paid this and then had to pay the postman at the door because customs want to charge me aswell .......

Here is a prime example

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BREED-R-B-GAY-POPPERS-45-I-Want-to-Know-I-Got-It-FIRE-1024-POPCORN-/281134046962?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item4174e51ef2

Edited by soulgirl85
Social source share

I've noticed this, but only in the last week. I think it is an option that the seller can click when listing, as some new listings from US don't have it, although the blurb about possible import charges is always there above a certain level (it varies day to day with exchange rate but is about £15).

I don't know if anyone yet has had experience in receving a prepaid customs deal - ie. do you STILL get stuck with any charges this end, or is there a delay in receiving parcel?

In a way, it has its bad and "not so bad" side.

The bad side is that unforunately there will be no doubt. You WILL be paying import duty.

This can be additionally frustrating if you know the seller would have normally declared it as low value if they did it manually.

The "not so bad" side is that if you knew who the seller was and also knew the parcel would be fully declared, then at least you know up front what the charges are, and can pay in one go, rather than "guessing" how much it will be, waiting for the postie to give you the card, then having to pay again and arranging a redelivery.

I suppose when it comes down to it, it's between you and the record, in this case, if you feel that $200 is ok but $250 is too much, then don't buy it.

On thing that has just occured to me is that this new feature may be only for "Buy it now", although I haven't checked on auctions with higher starting prices. If it's there on some auctions, it would have to increase with each new bid. sounds messy)

Cheers

Mick

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've noticed that if a seller has a starting price of $9.99 plus an optional BUY IT NOW price of $250 the duty shown is based on the higher price of $250

What happens if someone starts the bidding off at $9.99 and say the item sells for $25 - does the duty get adjusted to the correct amount based on $25

Social source share

I've noticed that if a seller has a starting price of $9.99 plus an optional BUY IT NOW price of $250 the duty shown is based on the higher price of $250

What happens if someone starts the bidding off at $9.99 and say the item sells for $25 - does the duty get adjusted to the correct amount based on $25

Good example - I think the answer is probably yes. would be adjusted to the amount based on $25.

I also suppose, if the record only went for $9.99, the import duty would be scrapped.

It would be horrible to win it at $9.99, pay zero import duty, but be stuck with some handling fee to this third party.

Trouble is, at the moment it is all guesswork, until a few of us have had to go through the process we don't know fur sure. I have nothing lined up that has this mandatory import duty, but I'll bet a few are in the process, and may have received things. We need to hear from them.

Cheers

Mick

Edited by Mick Holdsworth
Social source share

As far as I'm aware Ebay have contracted this service out to a third party whose sole aim is to make as much money as possible from it - that's why I wondered if there would be instances of overcharging

A few days ago a seller in the US who was using this service confirmed a shipping cost to me of $12 but on the listing it stated $16.95 which he was unaware of so someone else had changed it to a higher amount

Also, do the company collecting the duty pay this over to UK Customs or do they then charge again - there shouldn't be any fees payable to US Customs

Social source share

Shipping should be between the seller and buyer.  Ebay are an auction site and should not be involved in shipping, it's got nothing to do with them!

Ebay/Paypal are getting tighter and tighter, screwing the most out of people!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

This is not that new...it's the GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM where the seller elects to use a third party to do the shipping for them,shifting all the risk to the third party.

All duty is calculated up front ,even for items which fall below the payable threshold,there's no getting around paying it. i got stung once on a $20 record.

I won't buy from sellers using this service.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Just been charged $13.45 on a $34.33 record.............30%+ that can't be right?Didn't see the extra charge but since looked & there's a small bit saying you might be charged extra but no additional price.With postage it's nearly doubled the price of the record..........I'll be re-thinking buying from the states now...........feel a bit cheated,not that I have to pay it but the way it was dropped on me?

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Do the UK Post Office still put a handling charge on as well with the Global Shipping Program or is it just delivered with no extra charges, because they put a £8.00 handling fee on if I'm not mistaken.

I was just looking at the Johnny Caswell on eBay at the moment that is over $500+ but read the small print and I think someone may be in for a shock when they get invoiced.

Edited by Deepdown
Social source share

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd add something relevant to the unfolding effects of the new global shipping mess .

I've been waiting since mid August for a 45 that I already know is gonna stick me with a customs fee ..but that aside ,I've checked the status of its whereabouts via the tracking info ,it's been in the so called eBay sorting facility in USA and has just gone past the estimated time of delivery .

Not panicking as yet ,but as this is new to most of us ,I figured I'd contact the seller and write a polite message to ask if he could help and check up on it for me ..

Here's his nice reply ...

"I did not ship the record to you. Ebay ship the record to you. All of this

went through Ebay global shipping- this is THEIR eBay RULES. Call them. I

have confirmation that ebay receive the record from me to send it to you.

Now I have nothing more to say."

Social source share

what did your message look like?

lol at the "now i have nothing more to say", what a dick.

If I could get this iPhone to copy and paste where I want it ,I'd happily show you ,but seriously ,it went along the lines of " hi mr **** ,the record has not yet arrived and its gone past the estimated delivery date ,sorry to trouble you but could you advise my next option ?

Kind regards "

Pretty well diplomatic and certainly not aggressive or abrupt !

Miserable t**t !

Social source share

Also:-

When you pay via paypal they ask if you would like to pay for item after you have received it .Whats all that about where is the incentive to post anything you have not been payed for or do they forward the postage only ?

personally i always decline the offer as if i was selling i would want paying first.There has to be some trust between buyers and sellers Nearly all are trustworthy in my experience.

Social source share

i was left bad feedback the other day because of this ... i bought two 45's from the same seller , and when i went to check out it added $322 for shipping and import ! i contacted the seller to tell him that there is no way i will pay $322 for shipping , and i asked him if there was any way he could relist them so that i could buy them without the taxes , he cancelled the items bt didnt want to sell to me again , he then left bad feedback .......

Social source share

This thread could possibly be merged.  Numerous posts re Global Shipping here -

It's worth reminding that it's possible, in some cases, that the seller is unaware that the records they just listed on ebay.com have been defaulted into ebay's Global Shipping Policy.  As such it's always worth asking the seller prior to bidding/buying an item as they may be blissfully unaware.  Of course equally they may also be well aware but could be open to opting of out of G.S.P. for a confirmed sale of a particular item........then again there may be some form of delusion going on.

Social source share

i was left bad feedback the other day because of this ... i bought two 45's from the same seller , and when i went to check out it added $322 for shipping and import ! i contacted the seller to tell him that there is no way i will pay $322 for shipping , and i asked him if there was any way he could relist them so that i could buy them without the taxes , he cancelled the items bt didnt want to sell to me again , he then left bad feedback .......

you're a buyer, how were you left bad feedback? a seller can't give a negative or neutral to a buyer. In fact, it's against ebay policy to leave a negative message in a positive feedback, you can report the feedback to ebay and get it removed if they did that.

Social source share

Bollocks to ebay its gone down the tubes its now worth buying any records from the US anymore

I am really missing buying records from the US. Haven't indulged since the US postage hike in January, and recent talk of Global Shipping Program debacle and customs tightening up have not helped. 

Also, your comment could easily be simply edited down to "Bollocks to ebay its gone down the tubes" - taking commission on P&P value is another worrying step too far.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!