2 All-Dayers In Bradford 21/7/13

Kegsy

Next Sunday July 21st there are two all-dayers in Bradford within about 2 miles of each other.

Are the organisers going loopy ?, Cant they speak to each other ?

What's the point, all that can happen is lower attendance at both venues.

Crazy IMHO.

Kegsy

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Next Sunday July 21st there are two all-dayers in Bradford within about 2 miles of each other.

Crazy IMHO.

Kegsy

To be honest I don't think that either promoter would even spare a second thought for the other.

They have very different ideas about what should be played etc. I have been to both promoters events and there is virtually no crossover between them whatsoever, either in terms of attendees or music played.

Social source share

To be honest I don't think that either promoter would even spare a second thought for the other.

They have very different ideas about what should be played etc. I have been to both promoters events and there is virtually no crossover between them whatsoever, either in terms of attendees or music played.

That's as maybe but still don't think 2 at the same time is a good idea.

There is bound to be degraded attendance, as some people would go to both

if they were on separate days.

Kegsy

Social source share

That's as maybe but still don't think 2 at the same time is a good idea.

There is bound to be degraded attendance, as some people would go to both

if they were on separate days.

Kegsy

True. But I think the number that would, would be in single figures

Social source share

Tell me about it Kegsy, I've got mine on today and someone as put another on not 10 mins away, both in Wigan.

Of course they have andy,but only advertised  12 mths ago.But the one which is in ashton actualy is run by someone who is actualy from ashton and has mainly local djs on.None of this helps of course and clashes arent good for the scene,and will kill it off imho.

Edited by Soultown andy
Social source share

Of course they have andy,but only advertised  12 mths ago.But the one which is in ashton actualy is run by someone who is actualy from ashton and has mainly local djs on.None of this helps of course and clashes arent good for the scene,and will kill it off imho.

So you started advertising this event before you had even got the venue Andy. It was actually first posted on SS in may.2013

Social source share

Pleased to say (fingers xd) that event clashes never seem to happen in the York and surrounding area - in recent years only ever recall one - a York suburb event clashing with Riley Smith Hall, Tadcaster. Good responsible promoters consulting the events calender on a first come basis so much so that on another occasion a promoter cancelled their northern soul nite because it clashed with a yksoul charity event. Recognition that simply not enough punters to go round and playing fair .

Edited by andybellwood
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

When we started the Beehive dayer around 6 year ago, we picked a Sunday that was free with nothing else on in the area. We run alternate months. Then Leeds Central decided to have there dayer the same time and day as we run ( 9 mile away). We asked them to change to the alternate month, they said no, so in January this year, as we were changing venue to the Love Apple, we flipped to the alternate month so we didn't clash with them. This is the first time we have clashed with anyone else.It might not be ideal, but as Phil says we get around 170 in every time, hardly any of which go to Pauls do and he gets a good turnout of which hardly anyone comes to the Love Apple.I put it on ss about 2 month ahead of the date, not 12 month, who knows what's happening in 12 month time.

Anyway, it's a one off so i don't think much sleep will be lost over it.

As Paul says, enjoy wherever you go.

Mick.

Social source share

Crazy IMHO.

Kegsy

Yeah! seems mental especially when one was booked last December and it's for charity!!!!!!!...............Doh!!!!!!!!..... real no brainer!! but hey that's todays scene for ya! :ohmy:  :facepalm:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

When we started the Beehive dayer around 6 year ago, we picked a Sunday that was free with nothing else on in the area. We run alternate months. Then Leeds Central decided to have there dayer the same time and day as we run ( 9 mile away). We asked them to change to the alternate month, they said no, so in January this year, as we were changing venue to the Love Apple, we flipped to the alternate month so we didn't clash with them. This is the first time we have clashed with anyone else.It might not be ideal, but as Phil says we get around 170 in every time, hardly any of which go to Pauls do and he gets a good turnout of which hardly anyone comes to the Love Apple.I put it on ss about 2 month ahead of the date, not 12 month, who knows what's happening in 12 month time.

Anyway, it's a one off so i don't think much sleep will be lost over it.

As Paul says, enjoy wherever you go.

Mick.

Very True, God only knows where we might be in 12 month's time!

Social source share

No clash at all except both in Bradfud  just like City and Park Avenue different teams

Different venues with different soul tastes in both dance floor and vinyl collecting no worries whatsoever .

Big up for the promoters I think not put a foot wrong

Mickey we will b back in September in the cosy Modden room to play a few tunes.

Dranny and Little Annie

Social source share

Nothing to do with me this, but from the outside this looks like the two promoters don't have a problem with each other because they are completely different events - If that's the case I don't see a problem (for what it's worth) I do think this is rare though (excuse the pun!) because todays Soul Scene is just a 'free for all' - I'm glad I experienced better times.

If I'm right in my 'synopsise' - Best of luck to both events. They seem to have a mutual respect for each other - Which is what it's all about (Well 'was' anyway)

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

You're right Len, that sums it up pretty good, there is no problem. The two events are normally different days, just pans out this time for once it's the same day. I'm sure whichever event people decide to go to, they will have a cracking day.

Martin, look forward to you spinning a few in September.

Atb,

Mick.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Andy Carling

What it needs is for people to put there events up on the soul sorce events page as soon as they have booked the event, rather than waiting until 3 - 4 weeks before then other promoters can check to see whats on. But with so many events being organised it's only a matter of time that for one reason or another two events are going to clash and any event organiser should be aware of this when planning an event.

Andy

Social source share

Nothing to do with me this, but from the outside this looks like the two promoters don't have a problem with each other because they are completely different events - If that's the case I don't see a problem (for what it's worth) I do think this is rare though (excuse the pun!) because todays Soul Scene is just a 'free for all' - I'm glad I experienced better times.

If I'm right in my 'synopsise' - Best of luck to both events. They seem to have a mutual respect for each other - Which is what it's all about (Well 'was' anyway)

All the best,

Sorry Len but I can't agree with this. What you (and the promoters) are assuming is that the punters are too narrow minded to want to attend both events. I've had this arguement put forward before with weekenders that clashed - vastly different music policy but I'd love to have attended both.

:hatsoff2: - Kev

Social source share

Sorry Len but I can't agree with this. What you (and the promoters) are assuming is that the punters are too narrow minded to want to attend both events. I've had this arguement put forward before with weekenders that clashed - vastly different music policy but I'd love to have attended both.

Hi Kev,

I know what you mean, and heartily agree with ref people wanting to attend different types of events - I love my upfront events, and could also go to an 'out and out' Oldies event and thoroughly enjoy myself. So, yes I do think the clash is unfortunate.

What I'm saying is that 'unfortunate' seems to be mores the point in this particular case, rather than 'malicious' - Which is often the case.

Ref weekenders - I lost interest in those when more than one a year took place (Cleethorpes) because that is what made it so special. It was unusual for us all to get together for a whole weekend - Going from seeing each other at our 'bestest', to seeing each other in our Pyjamas! :D (Whether you slept or not!)

All the best,

• Helpful 1
Social source share

What it needs is for people to put there events up on the soul sorce events page as soon as they have booked the event, rather than waiting until 3 - 4 weeks before then other promoters can check to see whats on. But with so many events being organised it's only a matter of time that for one reason or another two events are going to clash and any event organiser should be aware of this when planning an event.

Andy

I think most people do check, but I know some just except that they are bound to clash with something, so don't do too much research. This is why promoting is now so unpredictable, no matter how good you are at doing so. As I said, it's a 'free for all' nowadays (Which is a shame)

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

:wink: Try moving to Kent - we'd call it a clash if there were two events in the same year!

Normally the only clash in Kent is between Neil Marsh's t-shirts and his trousers.

:wicked:

Social source share

It's crazy the number of events that clash and the biggest loser is the punter

Last Bank holiday we went to a Alldayer in Sheffield and there where another 2  Alldayers on in Sheffield that day

It's time some promoters forgot about their egos and started speaking to each other in consideration of the paying customers 

Social source share

Hi Kev,

I know what you mean, and heartily agree with ref people wanting to attend different types of events......

All the best,

Actually Kev, I still don't think there should be two separate Scenes / events for the exact reasons you state. I think it's insulting to some punters - these 'returnees' have been 'returned' for ten years now, and I think would welcome new sounds as long as they didn't feel patronised.

This is something I also have supported for years, but I do think it's too late for change now, also I'm past caring........well, as much as I did at least :wink: 

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!