Samantha's - Sheffield

Guest ShaneH

Now that this weekend is drawing to a close I thought I would start looking to the next one.

Next Saturday (23rd) sees the return of allnighters to Samantha's, Sheffield. I heard some funny stories at the Lifeline from people who attended back in the day. Apparently is was a place notorious for appearences from the local drug squad. One chap from Manchester informed me that the drug squad would often ask how you are by name. This was much to the terror of a young lad from Salford with no idea of how the boys in blue knew his name! I am sure the bobbies have bigger fish to fry these days!

As I only live about a mile away it is too tempting to say yes to this event and leave the car at home. I know Dave Rimmer and Kenny Burrell will be guesting but I am not sure of the full line up.

Anyone going?

Shane

• Replies 27
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Trevski

Nahh, probable oldies fest, beware the word 'revival'! wink.gif

P.S. Shane, love the "Uncle Peter does Quentin Crisp" Avatar! wink.gif

Edited by Trevski

Nahh, probable oldies fest, beware the word 'revival'! wink.gif

P.S. Shane, love the "Uncle Peter does Quentin Crisp" Avatar! wink.gif

link

The Legendary Charlie Chuck!

I had the pleasure of meeting this guy on several occasions when I was an entertainments promoter at the Boardwalk in Sheffield. Great guy who was a million miles away from his character in real life.

I have found some more info on Samantha's:

Samanthas Allnighter Sheffield

The legendary allnighter returns after 26 years! Stars Suite, Queens Road, SHEFFIELD (original venue) 9pm - 8am DJs John Vincent, with guests; Howard, Rob Thomas, Rob Wicks, Rob Smith, Steve Mannion, Ginger, Kenny Burrell, Dave Rimmer, Mort and Hammy. Some storming original vinyl will be played exclusive to this venue, the hottest stuff around! Two rooms solid gold northern soul action - second room opens at 1.30am. £10 OTD

Doesn't look like an oldies fest to me but you never know!

Shane

I had the pleasure of meeting this guy on several occasions when I was an entertainments promoter at the Boardwalk in Sheffield. Great guy who was a million miles away from his character in real life.

The legendary allnighter returns after 26 years! Stars Suite, Queens Road, SHEFFIELD (original venue) 9pm - 8am DJs John Vincent, with guests; Howard, Rob Thomas, Rob Wicks, Rob Smith, Steve Mannion, Ginger, Kenny Burrell, Dave Rimmer, Mort and Hammy. Some storming original vinyl will be played exclusive to this venue, the hottest stuff around! Two rooms solid gold northern soul action - second room opens at 1.30am. £10 OTD

Shane

link

I spoke to John Vincent this weekend. He certainly does not see it as an 'Oldies fest'.

Shane

link

Apart from Rob Thomas who's really the only upfront DJ there and what Ginger and Kenny play as they do have the records if they are allowed to play them...it's hardly up front line up. Might pop along for a couple of hours though.

Edited by chalky
Guest Trevski

Someone who shall not be named, told me last night at the lifeline, that it was a Samanthas 'revival', which does tend to get the old 'spider-sense' tingling! If Mr Rimmer is corrrect, It may be ok, but will have to wait for reports before tryin' it tho'! wink.gif

Edited by Trevski

Samantha's will be holding a minute's silence at midnight on Saturday in honour of Dave, who helped so much with his encouragement for the club in the early days.

Thought that was only a Togetherness/Searling thing....

Probably give it a try though..

link

I didn't mean they would be under orders to play safe, I don't think they will get away with much with the Sheffield crowd expecting a Samanthas revival, thats been my experience there in the past.

Someone who shall not be named, told me last night at the lifeline, that it was a Samanthas 'revival', which does tend to get the old 'spider-sense' tingling! If Mr Rimmer is corrrect, It may be ok, but will have to wait for reports before tryin' it tho'! ph34r.gif

link

Well it certainly won't be a Samantha's revival spot from me. I never went !

I didn't mean they would be under orders to play safe, I don't think they will get away with much with the Sheffield crowd expecting a Samanthas revival, thats been my experience there in the past.

link

Just to make clear this ISN'T a "revival" in a musical sense.... it's a "reunion".... the fact being is that it is an allnighter at a "legendary" (for some) venue....

I've spoke to John Vincent a couple of times this week.... firstly, after an e-mail I got asking to do a couple of spots for him.... one in main room at about 10ish, then later in the other room after it opens at 1.30am....

Secondly, after e-mailing him with what "musical orientation" the night was to be after recent threads on here and other places, plus a few phone calls I've recieved wanting JV's fone number to ask themselves, got e-mail from JV as follows:-

----------------

Mark,

As far as the sounds are concerned, main room is the for current monsters, new rarities, obscurities and r & b with a sprinkling of the rarer classic and forgotten sound. In other words you play what you want, but mix it..............

Two spots please, main room and oldies room next door. I will come back with the times tomorrow.

Regards,

John Vincent

John Vincent Marketing Services

fone numbers removed

E-mail jvms@clara.co.uk

----------------

So.... peeps can make of that what they will.... I understand it to mean main room "whatever" and 2nd room out and out "oldies" from 1.30am....

Hope that helps....

Apart from Rob Thomas who's really the only upfront DJ there and what Ginger and Kenny play as they do have the records if they are allowed to play them...it's hardly up front line up.  Might pop along for a couple of hours though.

link

Ah I see what you mean. The DJs won't all play total obscurities that nobody else can afford to own :-)

(Even if most of them are very good:-))))))) )

Well, I've been home a couple of hours from "Samanthas", I had a choice either the Winter Gardens Blackpool or Samanthas Revival Sheffield.

Rightly or wrongly I chose Sheffield, I made my way from Manchester over the Snake Pass in torrential rain and pitch black...but I managed to find the venue ok, arriving about 9.15. I never went in the 70's and was expecting a large room with a large dance floor.

In usual Mecca style there was the obligatory flights of stairs up to the main room.

I paid my money and walked down the corridor only to be stopped at the cloakroom and told "NO Holdalls" allowed in the venue. "You have to leave it in the cloakroom because if there is a fire or power cut, on evacuation people could fall over them." On reflection this seemed a good idea. BUT they charged you a £1.00 for the priveledge. I argued the toss but to no avail.

I got a drink and discovered I had left my baccy in my holdall SO i had to go back to the cloakroom to get it, at that point Mrs Burrel and her friend had just been charged £2.00 to hang up a suit bag, and was having a go at one of the doormen about the charge.

She was told in no uncertian terms "If you don't like it leave!! and stop having a go at the staff". I backed her up but was told if 300 people were to be evacuated the lack of holdalls would be a help. BUT, lets say 200 holdalls, & coats amount to another £200 door takings. This seems just like another money spinner.

The main room got really packed and you could not move on the dance floor, no room to swing the proverbial cat.

Things thinned out when the second room opened but the dance floor in there was even smaller. I did feel this was an "Oldies fest".

Though I did see quite a few familiar "faces". Soulies seemed out numbered by night clubbers that come in for a night out.

Highlight of the evening for me was Dave Rimmers spot, an excellent mixture of Rnb & Dancers.

I left about 6am.

Sorry if this is a bad review, but it's how I saw it.

was really looking forward to the nite but left quite disappointed with the following

kenny burrell was on far too early

dance floor in main room too small

too many overplayed records

too many duplicated records

wasnt all bad there was some decent stuff played i liked john vincent s spot

maybe for me my expectations are too high expectations of all niters these days

to me theres too many djs just going thru the motions and not enough passion for

exciting sounds or playing something different

maybe just me,,who knows

was really looking forward to the nite but left quite disappointed with the following

kenny burrell was on far too early

dance floor in main room too small

too many overplayed records

too many duplicated records

wasnt all bad there was some decent stuff played i liked john vincent s spot

maybe for me my expectations are too high expectations of all niters these days

to me theres too many djs just going thru the motions and not enough passion for

exciting sounds or playing something different

maybe just me,,who knows

link

Mark got some fond memories of Samanthas in the early days as Lisa standfeids would say it's never as good as the first time.Cheers Billy

Highlight of the evening for me was Dave Rimmers spot, an excellent mixture of Rnb & Dancers.

link

Thank you very much. I must admit I thoroughly enjoyed doing the spot, and can only apologise if I duplicated anything, but from where we were sitting in the record bar you could barely hear the music, so I didn't know what had already been played.

Just for Chalky, here's my list of played out Oldies..............

3 - 4 am * were requests.

Joe Tex - I Wanna Be Free - Dial

Big Daddy Rogers - I'm A Big Man - Midas*

Don Gardner - My Baby Likes To Boogaloo - Tru Glo Town*

Patience Valentine - If You Don't Come - SAR

D D Sharp - Deep Dark Secret - Cameo*

Beverley Ann Gibson - Three Dollar Bill - Jubilee

Five Royales - Catch That Teardrop - Home Of The Blues*

Bobby Baskerville I Gotcha Where I Wancha - Dot

Larry Davies - I've Been Hurt So Many Times - Kent*

Mickie Champion - What Good Am I - Musette

Enchantments - I'm In Love With Your Daughter - Faro

Joanne Courcy - I Got The Power - Twirl

Vondells - Hey Girl - Airtown*

Caressors - I Can't Stay Away - Ru-Jac*

Brooks Brothers - Looking For A Woman - Tay*

Magnetics - I Have A Girl - Ra-Sel

Betty Turner - The Winds Kept Laughing - Crescent

T J Williams & Two Shades Of Soul - Baby I Need You - Josie

Sparkels - Try Love - Old Town

Sam Fletcher - I'd Think It Over - Tollie*

Jimmy Wallace - I'll Be Back - Alpha

Johnnie Mae Mathews - I Have No Choice - Big Hit

Thank you very much. I must admit I thoroughly enjoyed doing the spot, and can only apologise if I duplicated anything, but from where we were sitting in the record bar you could barely hear the music, so I didn't know what had already been played.

Just for Chalky, here's my list of played out Oldies..............

3 - 4 am * were requests.

Joe Tex - I Wanna Be Free - Dial

Big Daddy Rogers - I'm A Big Man - Midas*

Don Gardner - My Baby Likes To Boogaloo - Tru Glo Town*

Patience Valentine - If You Don't Come - SAR

D D Sharp - Deep Dark Secret - Cameo*

Beverley Ann Gibson - Three Dollar Bill - Jubilee

Five Royales - Catch That Teardrop - Home Of The Blues*

Bobby Baskerville I Gotcha Where I Wancha - Dot

Larry Davies - I've Been Hurt So Many Times - Kent*

Mickie Champion - What Good Am I - Musette

Enchantments - I'm In Love With Your Daughter - Faro

Joanne Courcy - I Got The Power - Twirl

Vondells - Hey Girl - Airtown*

Caressors - I Can't Stay Away - Ru-Jac*

Brooks Brothers - Looking For A Woman - Tay*

Magnetics - I Have A Girl - Ra-Sel

Betty Turner - The Winds Kept Laughing - Crescent

T J Williams & Two Shades Of Soul - Baby I Need You - Josie

Sparkels - Try Love - Old Town

Sam Fletcher - I'd Think It Over - Tollie*

Jimmy Wallace - I'll Be Back - Alpha

Johnnie Mae Mathews - I Have No Choice - Big Hit

link

Few good 'uns in there Dave :thumbsup::lol::thumbup::lol:

Nice to hear Mello Souls and Isonics played amongst many other more current sounds...

Would say in defence that first few spot it were very oldies orientated, but as soon as second room opened things changed.

WOOF!

link

Tend to agree with your summary Mr Dog, thought the latter part of the night was really good.

I requested the Mello Souls and I think Kenny Burrell would have played more of his newer stuff if he'd been asked to!!!

Dave Rimmer's set can be judged from his playlist and I thought Hammy played a blinder and Rob Smith played some interesting stuff late on.

Mark mixed it up nicely in his early spot and a lot of the oldies were not from the usual 100 or so but contained some listed on the "Out of Favour Tunes" thread, including Blowing Up My Mind :thumbsup:

I went with the intention of having an enjoyable evening and thats what I did, seeing regular nighter-going friends from London, Bedford and Wales seemingly enjoying it as well. :lol:

Edited by Dave

Although I only live a couple of miles from Samantha's (or 'Stars' if you are younger than 35!) this was my first time through the doors.

I am sure many of you out there who have been before will remember those stairs! It was the kind of staircase that could influence Michael Palin to write a 6 week TV documentary .The two record dealers from Hull will no doubt be having nightmares for weeks to come! As I arrived I bumped into the two lads at the halfway base camp and I offered my assistance. I helped with their load and carried a box of records as well as my own. Twenty minutes later they arrived in the record bar with only enough energy to inform me that the management refused them access to the lift. Maybe the promoters could arrange for some presence from the local St John's ambulance next time!

The venue is bizarre. It resembles a modern day night club with the principle of getting people to drink more by providing a less than adequate dance floor. As you wandered round the place each door led to something very different - an Halloween party in full flow dancing to the Grease mega-mix whilst adorning capes and fangs was behind one door. A typical oldies nighter some may add!! Another door would lead to the balcony of a huge Ice Skating rink where young teens were trying to impress the opposite sex with their efforts on the ice.

All this in the first few minutes led me to believe this was not your typical allnighter and it didn't end there. Within a couple of hours the place was packed. The first few hours was a mixture of oldies and current sounds with some of the bigger modern tunes thrown in. Steve Mannion played some nice bits which was refreshing for a Sheffield United fan! I packed up my records and ventured into the main room to check out Dave Rimmer. He did a really solid set which was not influenced by the majority. He just went for it without hesitation and delivered the goods how he knows best. He succeeded and the dance floor loved it!

I would have liked to give a more detailed report on the music but it was difficult to hear everything from the record room. What I did hear was generally quite good so thumbs up to the DJ's and it wasn't an oldies fest in my opinion. OK it wasn't as upfront as some would like but there was some imagination with some great stuff at times. I am sure someone out there can offer more information with regards to set-lists.

Sheffield is a strange place for Northern Soul as the place was full of people you never see anywhere. I recognised very few people and it did have the kind of atmosphere you would get at an over 30's nightclub. However it was a nice friendly atmosphere which was not ruined at all. In my opinion Sheffield is probably the least forward looking city in the north with regards to Northern Soul, although the Modern scene is quite vibrant. Oldies rule in my home city and this makes it difficult for some of the more imaginative DJ's hence the lack of quality events. For such a big place you would believe that the city could host more regular events of a higher quality. No disrespect to the Ponds Forge crew who have been promoting a regular soul night for the past four or five years. I am sure Mark Vault of Soul will agree with me and I am sure he would like to be more forward looking but his dance floor won't accept it. Another recent promotion in Sheffield also run by Samantha's head honcho, John Vincent has the same problem. My first and only visit to the Polish Club was the same story with regards to the Sheffield soul scene. Once again this place was packed with a very busy dance floor until the arrival of Rob Thomas and his quality records. Rob's set was excellent but the dance floor had to be rescued by John Vincent with his copy of R. Dean Taylor 'Ghost in my house' You couldn't make it up could you?

As I am always the driver on our weekly trips around the country, this time I had the pleasure of forgetting about the police and their breathalyser! I hit the bar with much more vigour assisted by my drinking partners Dave Rimmer and his better half. By about half four the booze had got the better of me hence my journey into the streets of Sheffield in search of a taxi. My first trip to Samantha's was eventful but enjoyable and all I want to do now is shake off this hangover from hell.

Strange night and not your usual allnighter but I will be at the next one no doubt.

Shane

Mark mixed it up nicely in his early spot and a lot of the oldies were not from the usual 100 or so but contained some listed on the "Out of Favour Tunes" thread, including Blowing Up My Mind  :lol:

link

Thought I might as well list the playlists as Dave Rimmer did.... for anyone who's interested.... in order (I think, slept since) but one or two from each missing as I just can't recall them.... wacko.gif

First spot - Main Room - 9.30-10.00 (kept warmish uppyish for early arrivals to "settle" with a drink or two)

Ain't Got No Problem - Sunday - Alteen

Stop (Don't Give Up On Your Love) - The Two Fellows - Mutt

I Need, I Need Your Love - Philharmonics - Soulin

Congratulations Baby - Barbara West - Ronn

Just As Much - Kris Peterson - Top Dog

Come On Back - Brothers Of Soul - Boo

Sugar Dumpling - Sam Cooke - RCA

I Ain't Gonna Stop - The Masqueraders - AGP

Second spot - Main Room - 11.00-11.30

Call On Me - The Dynells - Atco DJ

I'll Never Forget You - Marke Jackson - Jamie DJ (request)

I'll Always Love You - Sam Moultrie - Warren

I Surrender - Eddie Holman - ABC DJ

Somethin New To Do - Bobby Sheen - WB (request)

Love Is Serious Business - Alfie Davison - Mercury

Keep My Woman Home - Danny White - Atlas DJ

Baby I Like It - Godoy Colbert - Revue DJ

The Pain Gets A Little Deeper - Darrow Fletcher - Groovy (request)

Oldies room - 4.30-5.30

Crazy Baby - Coasters - Atco

That's What You Do To Me - Deon Jackson - Carla

This Thing Called Love - Johnny Wyatt - Bronco

Surprise Party For Baby - The Vibrating Vibrations - Neptune

It Ain't Necessary - Mamie Galore - St Lawrence

All My Life - Detroit Soul - Music Town

House For Sale - Millie Jackson - Spring (request)

The Game Is Over - Brown Sugar - Capitol (a very surprising request(s).... sure this was same group.... 3 lasses and a lad all requesting within 2 mins of each other.... so thought f*** it, not an "oldies room" tune, but what the hell :thumbsup: .... surprisingly the dancers stayed on floor)

Cashing In - The Voices Of East Harlem - Just Sunshine

Love Don't You Go Through No Changes On Me - Sister Sledge (request)

I'll Be Around - Doug Parkinson - Southern Star (request)

It Really Hurts Me Girl - The Carstairs - Red Coach

You Don't Mean It - Towanda Barnes - A&M DJ

Blowing Up My Mind - The Exciters - RCA DJ

'Cause Your Mine - The Vibrations - Epic

I Just Can't Please You - Jimmy Robins - Jerhart DJ (request)

You Don't Love Me - Epitome Of Sound - Sandbag (request)

Baby, What Has Happened To Our Love - The Ringleaders - M Pac

I Got The Power - The Masqueraders - La Beat

Like others have said.... main room ventured "oldies" early on until "oldies room" opened up at 1.30 after what appeared to be a very strange private "fancy dress" party.... but I guess that was down to requests.... good spots from Kenny Burrell, Rob Thomas and Dave Rimmer after that.... :lol: missed majority of John Vincent's due to spending ages waiting outside with our lass for her taxi home.... in oldies room after for the hour before I was on.... left about 5.45-6.00....

Edited by vaultofsouler

In my opinion Sheffield is probably the least forward looking city in the north with regards to Northern Soul, although the Modern scene is quite vibrant. Oldies rule in my home city and this makes it difficult for some of the more imaginative DJ's hence the lack of quality events. For such a big place you would believe that the city could host more regular events of a higher quality. No disrespect to the Ponds Forge crew who have been promoting a regular soul night for the past four or five years. I am sure Mark Vault of Soul will agree with me and I am sure he would like to be more forward looking but his dance floor won't accept it.

Shane

link

Agree with you in the main on this Shane.... fortunately not all of us though, eh.... :thumbsup: .... fortunately we try not to make Ponds Forge just another "oldies fest" as that's what we set out with from the off.... sure enough, the "local die hards" get their share but we do try to mix it up.... what makes me laugh with certain folk is that a tune they may have dismissed by walking from the floor 2-3 years ago are now ones they request.... and also when we've had the likes of Mark Bicknell, Dave Rimmer and Rob Thomas guesting, I've been "jaw dropped" when given "feedback" by these types like "f****** hell, he was good weren't he" and later down the line "can you get such and such back"....

Sometimes you just "can't educate pork" as they say.... but you can but try....

True words Mark. What I will say about Ponds Forge is that the record room is probably one of the friendliest around. Always a good atmosphere with plenty of buying and selling.

Shane

• 1 month later...