Exciters Live

Guest manusf3a

Guest manusf3a

Not to sure of this as my memories a bit blurred but did the exciters play live at one of the early wirrina all nighters?Seem to remember seeing them there but as must of us  know some of those early memories can be a little bit more blurred than others.Over recent years while away from the scene I was always questioning whether I really went to a soul night in Bedford mid seventies with Wilky,Rug and Gav from Wellingborough until somone on this forum martyn I believe confirmed for me those events did take place among many others ha ha.The Wirrina one has been playing around in memory and surfacing a lot recently that I put down to knowing theres a Wirrina revival all dayer soon.Can someone either confirm or tell me that exciters was "Just my imagination".

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest manusf3a

They was on at St Ives All nighter in Nov 75,and i saw them at the Wirrina All nighter as well...

Dave f.......

Thanks mate,atbmanus.

Social source share

Hi there,

They did play live at a Leeds all-nighter along with Mel and Tim and a few others. It was a big one off maybe in the Market Hall or Corn Exchange in 1974. Still have the tickets, remember the night especially as it was the first time I heard Saxie Russell and The Slow Fizz, but can't remember what I had for tea last Thursday. LOL.

Social source share

Guest Church

Hi there,

They did play live at a Leeds all-nighter along with Mel and Tim and a few others. It was a big one off maybe in the Market Hall or Corn Exchange in 1974. Still have the tickets, remember the night especially as it was the first time I heard Saxie Russell and The Slow Fizz, but can't remember what I had for tea last Thursday. LOL.

The Leeds all-nighter was in an old tram station, I think it was called The Queens Hall, there was also JJ Barnes and Major Lance headlining...

Social source share

Thanks for that, I thought Major Lance was on as well. Someone else also informed me that it was in a tram depot but I thought it was in the centre somewhere. Glad to hear that there are still survivors from this era. You'll be telling me next that you attended Harrisons Hoist All nighters in Earby, my home town? LOL.

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

The Levine influence on the Exciters lost it for me

I wasnt keep on "reaching for the best" but still love"blowing  up my mind". ps figuretively of course Gary ,atb manus .

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

They performed live at Ormskirk civic hall in the 70's.

Did you go on your own to see them Otis? what about your missus did you ",Let her go",,with you as well?atb manus

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Manus, thank you for your reply, I met my partner, about  eight years later. We had a very good supply of mobile discos in the area, all playin' northern, and the DJ'S very upfront, with advanced acetates, the likes of, exciters, evelyn thomas etc, plus a healthy amount of collectors, with original vinyl.

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Manus, thank you for your reply, I met my partner, about  eight years later. We had a very good supply of mobile discos in the area, all playin' northern, and the DJ'S very upfront, with advanced acetates, the likes of, exciters, evelyn thomas etc, plus a healthy amount of collectors, with original vinyl.

Remenber all the as we called them Emi descs that were floating around our way back ,there was a big batch of them them exciters,evelyn thomas included of those Levine sounds just before they were released,I was also lucky then that two mates of mine Wilky and Rug had top notch collections with Wilky especially having more than a few of the big sounds of the time and also from earlier,I spent many entertaining hours round Wilkys mums as did Rug where they would play sounds on a little mono record player over which they sounded as what they were ,brilliant.Now and again there would be visitors round Wilkys mums like Soul Sam,Brian Rae,TonyDellar etc  and his mum knew them all really well and would sit having tea with them.Lovely lady,one of the best blessher, was  Wilkys mum .

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!