First Ever Bootlegs Soul Sounds Label

Guest pendulum

Guest pendulum

I remember going to ralphs records in manchester in the early seventies.zan the bouncer from the twisted wheel used to work there.They used to sell bootlegs under the name soul sounds.Leon heywood Alexandera patton etc .Were these the first ever northern soul bootlegs???

Social source share

I remember going to ralphs records in manchester in the early seventies.zan the bouncer from the twisted wheel used to work there.They used to sell bootlegs under the name soul sounds.Leon heywood Alexandera patton etc .Were these the first ever northern soul bootlegs???

When does this date from?

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Dunno, but think it will be later than the soul sounds boots which were made before anyone here had access to US pressing plants, hence the solid centres of the UK presses.Boots from the Wheel days gotta be the first 'northern' boots IMHO. JM's bootleg guide also quotes 'em as being the first "rare soul bootleg label" running from 1967 to 1969! thumbsup.gif

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Soul sounds were Bootlegged by the notorious Jeff King of Leicester.

I always thought that the BJD titles were also done by King... probably prior to the Soul Sounds things (but I may be mistaken). The same source also did the Green Light stuff, I believe.

There were 30 Soul Sounds bootlegs ... and I've got them all except Human Beinz - Tami Lynn & Roscoe Robinson that have eluded me (Help me out someone!).

Quite a label if you ask me:-

01 LEON HAYWOOD. BABY RECONCIDER.

02 DONALD HEIGHT. TALK OF THE GRAPEVINE.

03 JIMMY HOLIDAY & CLYDIE KING. READY WILLING AND ABLE.

04 SHIRLEY ELLIS. SOUL TIME.

05 HUMAN BEINZ. NOBODY BUT ME.

06 TAMMI LYNN. I'M GONNA RUN AWAY FROM YOU.

07 GENE CHANDLER. THERE WAS A TIME.

08 ROUND ROBIN. KICK THAT LITTLE FOOT SALLY ANN.

09 INVITATIONS. WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME BABY.

10 EARL HARRISON. HUMPHREY STOMP.

11 ALEXANDER PATTON. A LIL' LOVIN SOMETIMES.

12 CHUCK JACKSON. CHAINS OF LOVE.

13 DEAN PARRISH. DETERMINATION.

14 PEACHES AND HERB. WE'RE IN THIS THING TOGETHER.

15 MARY LOVE. YOU TURNED MY BITTER INTO SWEET.

16 BARBARA LEWIS. SOMEDAY WE'RE GONNA LOVE AGAIN.

17 MITCH RYDER & THE DETROIT WHEELS. BREAK OUT.

18 BLENDELLS. DANCE WITH ME.

19 SOUL SISTERS. GOOD TIME TONIGHT.

20 DEAN PARRISH. TELL HER.

21 LITTLE ANTHONY AND THE IMPERIALS. GONNA FIX YOU GOOD.

22 CHUBBY CHECKER. (AT THE) DISCOTEQUE.

23 THE SHARPEES. TIRED OF BEING LONELY.

24 ROSCOE ROBINSON. THAT'S ENOUGH.

25 INCREDIBLES. THERE'S NOTHING ELSE TO SAY.

26 HOMER BANKS. HOOKED BY LOVE.

27 MARGIE HENDRIX. RESTLESS.

28 BOBBY SHEEN. DR. LOVE.

29 RONNIE MILSAP. AIN'T NO SOUL (LEFT IN THESE OLD SHOES).

30 DOBIE GRAY. OUT ON THE FLOOR.

A repertoire that any label would envy, dont you agree, were it not for the fact that they were not legit!

However, Mr King got his just desserts and was locked up for the practice.

Curious how these days the BPI appear to be less concerned...

thumbsup.gif

Keith Minshull (allegedly) supplied most of the originals.

Part of our N.Soul History I guess (along with OOTP and... whats that other crowd called that seem to be doing alright at it?)

Sean Hampsey

Edited by Sean Hampsey
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Part of our N.Soul History I guess (along with OOTP and... whats that other crowd called that seem to be doing alright at it?)

Sean Hampsey

Oooh Sean, whoever can you mean...... ahem thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I'm so pleased other collectors find the SOUL SOUNDS label so attractive! I think they are extremely collectable:

Interestingly I'm lead to believe that the run was 500 of each..(anyone confirm that?)

Without doubt every SOUL SOUNDS press is infinately rarer than its UK press counterpart. Just underlining how many copies of the original EMI etc. releases are in circulation. I've had countless Incredibles on Stateside only ever had a couple of it on SOUL SOUNDS in 37 years.

Mentioning no names, but if you check the Jay Boy releases against a SOUL SOUNDS you'll see they were pressed by the same company..

I think Sean's collection of the label is worth much more than people think. I've got a few titles in stock, maybe I'll auction one and see what the market thinks they are worth. Or will I get "blasted" for doing that?

PS I can remember BJD label in Selecta-Disc long after the SOUL SOUNDS had disappeared, so I think maybe these your after SOUL SOUNDS although they look to have come from the same pressing plant. Keith Rylatt he's older than me, he'd know for certain.

Soul Sounds are certainly a cornerstone of Northern Soul history and should be considered highly collectable. I wish I had a full set.

john

Social source share

Mentioning no names, but if you check the Jay Boy releases against a SOUL SOUNDS you'll see they were pressed by the same company..

I think Sean's collection of the label is worth much more than people think. I've got a few titles in stock, maybe I'll auction one and see what the market thinks they are worth. Or will I get "blasted" for doing that?

Hi John,

Yes, I've always believed that they were pressed by the President / JayBoy plant. They've got that same 'bomb proof' body armour that came with those early issues, which is why I felt that BJD and Green Light were also connected with Soul Sounds.

Runs were certainly limited as I've been tracking the Human Beinz - Tami Lynn & Roscoe Robinson for years so I'd say that these were three of the rarest releases... at least in my experience.

I was DJ'ing about 12 years ago and one of the local jocks (an old Wheelite) had all three releases in his playbox. No other Soul Sounds releases... just them! As they were my last three for a full set I acquired his phone number in an effort to procure them from him but when I called... the phone was disconnected!

Still lay awake at night thinking about them.

If you turned up Human Beinz, Tami Lynn & Roscoe Robinson I certainly wouldn't blast you.. (unless you auctioned them... instead of offering them to me!)

Soul Sounds is certainly a part of Northern Soul folklore... and they've brought me hours of pleasure over the years... just looking at them!

I've either got or had 'proper' UK Demos and Issues of the Incredibles, Alexander Patton, Bobby Sheen, Mary Love etc but wouldn't sell the Soul Sounds releases at any price!

Curiously, the first release, Leon Haywood, is the only one of the series that did not get a legit UK release at the time of issue (or at some point during the 60's). Of course, 'Baby Reconsider' was the first "Big Money" record on the scene so its not hard to figure out why they went with it to launch the label.

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Hi John,

Yes, I've always believed that they were pressed by the President / JayBoy plant. They've got that same 'bomb proof' body armour that came with those early issues, which is why I felt that BJD and Green Light were also connected with Soul Sounds.

Runs were certainly limited as I've been tracking the Human Beinz - Tami Lynn & Roscoe Robinson for years so I'd say that these were three of the rarest releases... at least in my experience.

I was DJ'ing about 12 years ago and one of the local jocks (an old Wheelite) had all three releases in his playbox. No other Soul Sounds releases... just them! As they were my last three for a full set I acquired his phone number in an effort to procure them from him but when I called... the phone was disconnected!

If you turned up Human Beinz, Tami Lynn & Roscoe Robinson I certainly wouldn't blast you.. (unless you auctioned them... instead of offering them to me!)

Soul Sounds is certainly a part of Northern Soul folklore... and they've brought me hours of pleasure over the years... just looking at them!

I've either got or had 'proper' UK Demos and Issues of the Incredibles, Alexander Patton, Bobby Sheen, Mary Love etc but wouldn't sell the Soul Sounds releases at any price!

Curiously, the first release, Leon Haywood, is the only one of the series that did not get a legit UK release at the time of issue (or at some point during the 60's). Of course, 'Baby Reconsider' was the first "Big Money" record on the scene so its not hard to figure out why they went with it to launch the label.

Sean Hampsey

Sean,

I don't have any of the soul sounds releases and don't think I have ever seen one - any chance you could stick one up for me

Thanks

Kev

Social source share

Sean,

I don't have any of the soul sounds releases and don't think I have ever seen one - any chance you could stick one up for me

Hi Kev,

Will certainly, but can't do it until Monday.

I'll probably take a pic, of one of each colour.

These were:

White / Black

Orange / Black

Green / Black

Yellow / Black

Back on Monday!

Cheers

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

I'm so pleased other collectors find the SOUL SOUNDS label so attractive! I think they are extremely collectable:

Soul Sounds are certainly a cornerstone of Northern Soul history and should be considered highly collectable. I wish I had a full set.

john

Interesting dilemma John. I'm anti-bootleg but very much pro-history so agree with what you say. I would be intrigued to see how much they went for. Like other posters I remember them in Ralphs with the protective steel rod through the middles preventing theft. Since they were knowingly sold as bootlges this is a great example of thieves protecting themselves from theft.

But now they are very much 'scene history' and maybe we need to look at the issiue anew. Rather than be pursist its worth thinking where else the same issue applies certainly in art and design there are imitations and copies which now fetch big money irrespective of their 'provenence.'

I'm always intrigued by the arguments that flow from this. One is about copyright the other about reward to the original artists. The scene has double-standards on both counts. If you take the OKEH logo, that has been ripped-off shamelessly across 40 years on badges, tee-shirts and flyers without any embarrasement, despite it being copyright protected. It has frequently been used by purists without any sense of shame. As regards the reward to original artists, we all trade old rare records and none of us - unless there is a very virtuous person out there - sells a rarity then tracks down the artist.

So I suspect you probably would get 'blasted' by some but the whiff of hypocrisy would be in the air.

Edited by soulfulsaint
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Cant believe people are talking nicely about bootlegs,shame :D thought there where rules about this sort of thing? :hypo:

PS got A Patton.

Edited by ken
Social source share

Guest pendulum

I remember buying roy hamilton `cracking up over you`at ralphs on orange rca label.I think this may of been a legal reissue.He told me at the time he had 50 copies.

Social source share

It dates from late 1970.

Brian, John, Dave hence the BJD. I know all of them!

All nearing retirement and enjoying life. And remember I found Alex in LA and brought him to the UK.

The guys who booted it are friends and so is the singer!

Alex didn't make a bean from Capitol. Even the producer James Mckeachin made little more than a session fee.

Social source share

Was Jeff King really sent down for it?

Never knew that! I do recall how the price of the originals would plummet after a soul sounds release. Funny to think they are collectable now. I can understand it, though they were depised by all serious collectors at the time.

How much did they sell for back in the day? 70 pence or a quid?

Social source share

Soul sounds were Bootlegged by the notorious Jeff King of Leicester.

I always thought that the BJD titles were also done by King... probably prior to the Soul Sounds things (but I may be mistaken). The same source also did the Green Light stuff, I believe.

There were 30 Soul Sounds bootlegs ... and I've got them all except Human Beinz - Tami Lynn & Roscoe Robinson that have eluded me (Help me out someone!).

Quite a label if you ask me:-

01 LEON HAYWOOD. BABY RECONCIDER.

02 DONALD HEIGHT. TALK OF THE GRAPEVINE.

03 JIMMY HOLIDAY & CLYDIE KING. READY WILLING AND ABLE.

04 SHIRLEY ELLIS. SOUL TIME.

05 HUMAN BEINZ. NOBODY BUT ME.

06 TAMMI LYNN. I'M GONNA RUN AWAY FROM YOU.

07 GENE CHANDLER. THERE WAS A TIME.

08 ROUND ROBIN. KICK THAT LITTLE FOOT SALLY ANN.

09 INVITATIONS. WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME BABY.

10 EARL HARRISON. HUMPHREY STOMP.

11 ALEXANDER PATTON. A LIL' LOVIN SOMETIMES.

12 CHUCK JACKSON. CHAINS OF LOVE.

13 DEAN PARRISH. DETERMINATION.

14 PEACHES AND HERB. WE'RE IN THIS THING TOGETHER.

15 MARY LOVE. YOU TURNED MY BITTER INTO SWEET.

16 BARBARA LEWIS. SOMEDAY WE'RE GONNA LOVE AGAIN.

17 MITCH RYDER & THE DETROIT WHEELS. BREAK OUT.

18 BLENDELLS. DANCE WITH ME.

19 SOUL SISTERS. GOOD TIME TONIGHT.

20 DEAN PARRISH. TELL HER.

21 LITTLE ANTHONY AND THE IMPERIALS. GONNA FIX YOU GOOD.

22 CHUBBY CHECKER. (AT THE) DISCOTEQUE.

23 THE SHARPEES. TIRED OF BEING LONELY.

24 ROSCOE ROBINSON. THAT'S ENOUGH.

25 INCREDIBLES. THERE'S NOTHING ELSE TO SAY.

26 HOMER BANKS. HOOKED BY LOVE.

27 MARGIE HENDRIX. RESTLESS.

28 BOBBY SHEEN. DR. LOVE.

29 RONNIE MILSAP. AIN'T NO SOUL (LEFT IN THESE OLD SHOES).

30 DOBIE GRAY. OUT ON THE FLOOR.

A repertoire that any label would envy, dont you agree, were it not for the fact that they were not legit!

However, Mr King got his just desserts and was locked up for the practice.

Curious how these days the BPI appear to be less concerned...

whistling.gif

Keith Minshull (allegedly) supplied most of the originals.

Sean Hampsey

My older sister's boyfreind/ex husband (said suade head mentioned on another post) had the Chubby Checker ATD mentioned above on BJD.

He told me and my mates that it was an origional and the Parkway was not.

We went running to the local youth club full of this only for some older and wiser soulie to put us straight! :huh:

Never seen the label since those days so the pic above has conjured memories from my soul history as it were. :thumbsup:

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

Jeff's first boot and the first done for the scene (there were already US boots for doo wop and even soul ballads) was The Poets 'She Blew A Good Thing' on Old Soul which was our name for the scene then. I bought copies off him and took them to the Lantern all nighter in Market harborough and no-one could work out why they were on that label, myself included. There was one other on the label (a Jackie Lee?) he then started to Soul Sounds

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Was Jeff King really sent down for it?

How much did they sell for back in the day? 70 pence or a quid?

Twenty one shillings, if memory serves. Maybe twenty-one-and-six! I Most of them have passed through my hands down the years, but I didn't keep even one. Kind of wish I had now...

TONE whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest musicden786

Well done Ade. Some accurate history for a change.

One or two people had the full info on the history of The Leicester Boots.

They included Dave Knight-The Blue Orchid Drayton, and Les Cockell-The Twisted Wheel Manchester.

As far as I remember, the story is a little more complicated than the one that has been put forward in this thread.

The Blue Orchid Drayton was probably the most up market venue ever used on the Northern scene in the UK. This might be a clue as to the full story related to The Leicester Boots.

Best not to condem Jeff King, before all the facts are considered.

Thanks Ade.

Denis.

Social source share

And not to be confused with the "genuine" record label "SOUL SOUND" which put out stuff like

TONY OWENS-"THIS HEART CAN`T TAKE NO MORE" and others..

Social source share

Good info Ady,

I used to have a 'Magic' label Boot (yellow) of Jackie Edwards "Feel So Bad" B/W Donnie Elbert "Little Piece Of Leather".

Would you say that came from the same source as BJD (A. Patton) and Green Light (Band of Angels / Soul Sisters)?

Was it also a "Leicester Boot"

Just a thought?

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Certain label will become collectable regardless of there legal status, Soul Sounds and Out of Past 45's are certainly it this category. Lets be honest who would say no to a complete collection of Soul Sound 45's, they were the top sounds of the early northern scene and the labels are great as well.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Lets be honest who would say no to a complete collection of Soul Sound 45's, they were the top sounds of the early northern scene and the labels are great as well.

I wouldn't say no.

Only need three for the full set!

Roscoe Robinson - Tammi Lynn - Human Beinz

All wanted!

Can Anyone help?

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Good info Ady,

I used to have a 'Magic' label Boot (yellow) of Jackie Edwards "Feel So Bad" B/W Donnie Elbert "Little Piece Of Leather".

Would you say that came from the same source as BJD (A. Patton) and Green Light (Band of Angels / Soul Sisters)?

Was it also a "Leicester Boot"

Just a thought?

Sean Hampsey

still got one, fantastic sound quality, also got bella delana sad.gif

Social source share

Guest denmac

re: soul sounds.

i started work in aug/sept? of 1970 at a local company that was five mins from an open market. on a stall i spotted ORIGINAL SOUL SOUNDS. i looked through the box and was amazed at what i was seeing.earl harrison,invitations,alexander patton!!!!!! i knew that they were not real issues and i said so to the stall owner. his reply was read the sign again. he later told me that he was told to say that if any one questioned him. i was getting 5 quid a week as a trainee draughtsman so 15 bob was a big deal. i bought one a week and told my parents it was college fees. i also bought a bobby hanna- every body needs love-decca demo for 3bob of the same guy.

musicden; did you mean draycott not drayton?

BJD? wasn`t the D for dave whymark who opened a shop with alan day in burton?

Social source share

Talking of early boots, the first I bought were in '69 or maybe early 1970 - Invitations "What's wrong with me baby" on a red boot with no label name (to replace my sisters Stateside issue which I stupidly sold!) and Dean Parrish "Tell her" on orange Soul Town - no relation to the '73 era Soul Town boots, but has John M or anyone any info on these? one thing I know for a fact that is that I bought them off Gloucester legend Froggy Taylor!

Hippo.

Social source share

Talking of early boots, the first I bought were in '69 or maybe early 1970 - Invitations "What's wrong with me baby" on a red boot with no label name (to replace my sisters Stateside issue which I stupidly sold!) and Dean Parrish "Tell her" on orange Soul Town - no relation to the '73 era Soul Town boots, but has John M or anyone any info on these? one thing I know for a fact that is that I bought them off Gloucester legend Froggy Taylor!

Hippo.

Hi Jerry,

I have the Red Boot "Invitations" (somewhere) and have had the Dean Parrish. I also seem to think that Shirley Ellis "Soul Time" was booted on the orange Soul Town too... or was that on the flip?

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Hi Jerry,

I have the Red Boot "Invitations" (somewhere) and have had the Dean Parrish. I also seem to think that Shirley Ellis "Soul Time" was booted on the orange Soul Town too... or was that on the flip?

Sean Hampsey

Not on the flip Sean, as I remember it was the same as the legit release - but interestingly, as those of us crusty enough will remember, in those days US imports were pretty scarce, but the Invitations boot shows a number which refers to the Dynovoice US release.

Hippo.

Social source share

I too used to go to ralphs records , just near victoria station , and bought most of those soul sounds listed above , including tami lynn and human beinz , sadly I sold up over 20 years ago to the guy running the record shop in ashton-u-lyne ( near yates`s wine lodge ) and also to dave stubbs in hyde , so I dont have those on vinyl anymore , just the memories and the tapes I made from them before selling them

I also used to go to spin inn on cross street , rare records , one opposite rare records and the one near picadilly station on the approach , where I used to buy sue records like donnie elbert , and green door on island , and various atlantic and blue stax etc

I also remember going to one shop on ashton new road near maynes garage where the old guy had a box full of old soul kept under the counter , open on sundays I think too

sadly , my memory is fading fast nowadays and all the names escape me ;(

good thread though , bringing back good memories

Social source share

Not on the flip Sean, as I remember it was the same as the legit release - but interestingly, as those of us crusty enough will remember, in those days US imports were pretty scarce, but the Invitations boot shows a number which refers to the Dynovoice US release.

Hippo.

Yes I think you're right about the Shirley Ellis. seem to think now, on reflection, that either "The Name Game" was on the flip... or "Nitty Gritty"... as opposed to "Waitin" on the proper release....goddam alzheimers!

Sean

Social source share

Hi John,

Sean Hampsey

I've got a Human Beinz you can have for nothing. I had 2 last month, sold a mint one, this ones a scruffy old thing but you're welcome to it if you want it. Just got to find it.

Social source share

Hi Jerry,

Sean Hampsey

Humphrey Stomp was on Soul Town, as was The COD's Michael/I'm A Good Guy and the Darrel banks double sider Our Love / Open The Door.

One of the strangest boots I've ever seen is a white label of Six By Six (Earl van Dyke). Matrix number is HT 1206 and it sounds like it was recorded on a cassette recorder then put onto a pressing. It's British with a solid centre. Must date from 69-70, anyone seen this?

Social source share

I've got a Human Beinz you can have for nothing. I had 2 last month, sold a mint one, this ones a scruffy old thing but you're welcome to it if you want it. Just got to find it.

Yes please Peter, kind sir!

Always up for a freebie... scruffy old thing or not!! (and a bloody awful record to Boot! :P ).

I think you've got my address and I'll pay the postage.

Please PM me and lets give the scruffy divil a good home.

Cheers. Top Man Pete.

:wicked:

Sean

Social source share

Guest musicden786

re: soul sounds.

i started work in aug/sept? of 1970 at a local company that was five mins from an open market. on a stall i spotted ORIGINAL SOUL SOUNDS. i looked through the box and was amazed at what i was seeing.earl harrison,invitations,alexander patton!!!!!! i knew that they were not real issues and i said so to the stall owner. his reply was read the sign again. he later told me that he was told to say that if any one questioned him. i was getting 5 quid a week as a trainee draughtsman so 15 bob was a big deal. i bought one a week and told my parents it was college fees. i also bought a bobby hanna- every body needs love-decca demo for 3bob of the same guy.

musicden; did you mean draycott not drayton?

BJD? wasn`t the D for dave whymark who opened a shop with alan day in burton?

Hello Den.

Yes your right Den. Should have said Draycott near Derby.

Its a long time since I went though. Think it was around 1970-1972. Bootleg centre of the UK at the time.

Top venue full of good looking girls. The boys all wore the Italian look.

Thanks for picking me up in my old age.

Best regards Denis.

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Soul Sounds Update --------

Just bagged the Roscoe Robinson 'That's Enough' on Soul Sounds that has eluded me for so many years!

It's a Yellow label and in Bootiful condition! :yes:

Only need the Human Beinz & Tammi Lynn 45's to complete the set!

Anyone?

Sean Hampsey

Kinnel Sean, elsewhere in this post I said I had 2 copies of the human beinz and I'd give you one for nothing...

Social source share

Kinnel Sean, elsewhere in this post I said I had 2 copies of the human beinz and I'd give you one for nothing...

Sorry Pete. You're right... and I replied to the post saying 'yes please'.... but I didn't want to push it! (shrinking violet that I am).

If you've still got it.... please Bill my card (i guess you've still got my details inc address etc) and lets be having the blighter!

Or shall I send you a few bob for postage by PayPal?

Mucho appreciated Pete.

Just need Tammi Lynn then.

A good days work!

:yes:

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Sorry Pete. You're right... and I replied to the post saying 'yes please'.... but I didn't want to push it! (shrinking violet that I am).

If you've still got it.... please Bill my card (i guess you've still got my details inc address etc) and lets be having the blighter!

Or shall I send you a few bob for postage by PayPal?

Mucho appreciated Pete.

Just need Tammi Lynn then.

A good days work!

:yes:

Sean Hampsey

Now then Sean,

SteveM said you were gonna turn up on Saturday with a box full of boots :(

Always thought he was a no good lying blaggard but not so sure now :P

:P:P

Mart...

Social source share

Always thought he was a no good lying blaggard but not so sure now :D

Mart...

No you were right all along Martin :(:D

To be honest though, my Bootleg collection is pretty impressive!

Only one more number needed now for the entire Soul Sounds series.

C'mon... Ya gotta be impressed!

Doubt if I'll get to play any of them though at the Clifton Reunion.

Always tried to keep my 'collecting fetish' away from my deejaying. And will have to stick to my more modern bits and bobs for the Clifton job.

As for my Soul sounds Bootlegs? Steve just wouldn't understand....

...It's a collectors thing!

:(

Sean

Social source share

No you were right all along Martin :D:(

To be honest though, my Bootleg collection is pretty impressive!

Only one more number needed now for the entire Soul Sounds series.

C'mon... Ya gotta be impressed!

Doubt if I'll get to play any of them though at the Clifton Reunion.

Always tried to keep my 'collecting fetish' away from my deejaying. And will have to stick to my more modern bits and bobs for the Clifton job.

As for my Soul sounds Bootlegs? Steve just wouldn't understand....

...It's a collectors thing!

:D

Sean

Guess you're right Sean.

You collect Soul Sounds boots,

I once had a pair of Dr Martin boots (it's a name thing) & Manno's got a box full of Goldmine boots :(

Social source share

• 4 years later...

Bought No. 2 Donald Height Talk of the Grapevine for £8 this week. Have no idea if I paid way too much or not, but am not bothered, as from a history viewpoint, glad to get one

post-2354-0-32400700-1307725291_thumb.jp

Edited by jim g
Social source share

• 1 year later...

hi all, just thought l'd clear up a point about pressing plant similarities, the "Soul Sounds"

label bootlegs were made by PRESIDENT records, The "BJD" label bootlegs were

made by LYNTONE records. Etchings in the "deadwax" area of the run-off spiral in both

labels, in appearance, look engraved. Selectadisc (nottingham) owned the Greenlight, Magic & BJD bootleg labels.

Thanks, westrex.

Social source share

Interestingly I'm lead to believe that the run was 500 of each..(anyone confirm that?)

Without doubt every SOUL SOUNDS press is infinately rarer than its UK press counterpart. Just underlining how many copies of the original EMI etc. releases are in circulation. I've had countless Incredibles on Stateside only ever had a couple of it on SOUL SOUNDS in 37 years.

PS I can remember BJD label in Selecta-Disc long after the SOUL SOUNDS had disappeared, so I think maybe these your after SOUL SOUNDS although they look to have come from the same pressing plant. Keith Rylatt he's older than me, he'd know for certain.

john

hi john

I was told by Keith Minshull they were all pulled of his records & i think they were pressed @ president records

Edited by soulghost
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!