Tomangoes Bootleg At £304

Pete S

Yeah

I emailed him to say it's a boot.

He replied he had not listed it as an original and given full details of deadwax etc.

I think the bit about 'Nashville recording' is very very misleading for some unaware purchasers.

Trouble is, you can't now contact the bidders to warn them!

Social source share

Yeah

I emailed him to say it's a boot.

He replied he had not listed it as an original and given full details of deadwax etc.

I think the bit about 'Nashville recording' is very very misleading for some unaware purchasers.

Trouble is, you can't now contact the bidders to warn them!

Neither did he list it as a boot or 2nd issue or whatever the acceptable term is this week.

It's fraud by omission in my eyes

Edited by phild
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Jeez, and to think I sold my orig for 12 

There again I passed on a Harry Potter & Philosopher's Stone true 1st edition in a charity shop for 45p (£17,000)   :lol:

I must just be one of life's losers   :(

Social source share

He gives the delta number and of course anyone who knows about delta numbers can date it to around 1975 - except us record nerds are in the minority and the general buying public don't know about these things.

That's just a sly way of deflecting any criticism like this. Caveat Emptor and all that.

However, to people who don't know, it makes it sound more authentic

Shockingly shit way to behave IMO

Edited by phild
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

anyone want mine for £150, Come on it is half price and ive written on cocer "Wish i had real one"  ??? :wicked:

Social source share

IM ALWAYS IN 2 MINDS ON THIS - DEVIOUS SELLER ,,,OR STUPID BUYER  - IF IM BUYING A RECORD FOR A LOT OF MONEY I WOULD WANT TO EXACTELY WHAT IM BUYING....YOU CANT BUY KNOWLEDGE

Oh i don't know Mark you should see some of the qualification certs we get at the Uni??

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Can't blame the seller, a fool and thier momey are often parted.

Why not? He's being disingenuous at the very least. He knows its not real and he is going to take over three hundred quid from someone who he knows thinks its real. He's a thief in my book.

Peter

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Why not? He's being disingenuous at the very least. He knows its not real and he is going to take over three hundred quid from someone who he knows thinks its real. He's a thief in my book.

Peter

On the other hand - it's buyer beware - surely, if you are going to make an investment of this value you'd do your research - unless of course, you don't actually care and are so rich that £300 for a bootleg is nothing, maybe?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On the other hand - it's buyer beware - surely, if you are going to make an investment of this value you'd do your research - unless of course, you don't actually care and are so rich that £300 for a bootleg is nothing, maybe?

You could put forward that argument Pete. It's not always that easy though is it - just look at all the queries about records on here. Even the more knowledgeable collectors debate what is and what isn't a "right one".

If the seller didn't know I might be a little more open to the buyer beware view - but he does know and is setting out to consciously deceive someone of a fair bit of cash.

Peter

Social source share

Does it follow too that someone thinks they're avin his trousers down for 300 quid? Made for each orher lol

Jesus. You'd find out first though wouldnt you? (None of which legitimises misleading people)

Unrelated but a guy from the US did me out of £500 fairly recently. Bet he was p*ssing himself, the lickle tinker.

What he doesn't know is that I now have his address and, as it transpires, my cousin lives in the same town ... which is nice. He'll be getting a very loud knock quite soon, bless him. Hope he's enjoyed his moment in the sun anyway, the rascal.

Whadya do in the absence of any 'official' recourse? All wrong

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Kickin hell  -  thought I did rather well two years back when I found two of the 1970 's issued  bootlegs (Not the new ones ) and moved them on for £66.and £49 according to my sales database - This takes it to a new level - Not checked the bidders but have they a good feedback rating level ??

Social source share

Kickin hell  -  thought I did rather well two years back when I found two of the 1970 's issued  bootlegs (Not the new ones ) and moved them on for £66.and £49 according to my sales database - This takes it to a new level - Not checked the bidders but have they a good feedback rating level ??

We can't see the bidders identities though can we Glyn?  Aren't they scrambled?

Social source share

Peter

Yes, the listing is not in plain english. But, he lists the run out groove details, and 2 minutes on popsike shows this is not the original. So its foolish to bid such an ammount without checking.

Social source share

You want to see some of the other boots in his auctions being passed off - James Bounty on Compass, Evie Sands on green Cameo (listed as a Cameo DJ 45), and I'm sure that Furys on Keymen is a boot as well.  The green lettering looks blotchy in parts, just like my old boot was.

Social source share

When I first started collecting as a youngster I didn't even know what had been bootlegged let alone the differences between boots and originals. It was pre-internet and pre-bootleg guide days too.

Therefore, I always bought stuff from big name dealers at the time to be sure I was getting originals - the usual suspects, and I won't name them in case it upsets anyone.

I sometimes look back at a few of the records I still have that I bought at the time and there are a few that stick out now as bootlegs - even though they were bought as originals. One that is obvious now is The Royal 5 on Tyler. Still pisses me off as all records were listed as originals.

That said, I have not made my mind up about sellers these days giving all the details of the actual record for sale to allow a knowledgeable buyer to see what is being sold is a bootleg (which should not be sold on eBay anyway, which for some will be reason not to say 'bootleg').

Worth comparing to what happens in life when you compare record buying to other areas like buying a holiday, or a house or a car. There's a lot in caveat emptor.

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Worth comparing to what happens in life when you compare record buying to other areas like buying a holiday, or a house or a car. There's a lot in caveat emptor.

Cheers

Richard

You'd soon know if it wasn't a real car or house though

Social source share

All I know is if I was parting with £300+ I'd want to know the far end of a fart about what I was buying.........the benifits of been a Yorkshireman :D

Cheers

Martyn

PS Anyone want buy a Tamangoes boot.......mint :wicked:

Yours is Quite obviously a boot though Martyn - It's not even spelled right!

:lol:

Social source share

Up to £324.00 now. :ohmy: Can a person who is not bidding on this not report the said bootleg to evil-bay stating the item is missleading and slightly underhand ?

I think a few copies will now appear on evil bay, I've got 2 somewhere.

Social source share

Wot a dunderhead, there's one on Pat Brady's for £70, quick Pat get in on auction, these people deserve everything they get & to think I gave my Green Salvadores away cos it was a boot & yes I did get my £12 back in 1974. :hatsoff2:

Spot. :shades:

p.s. Sorry I exaggerate, it's on a £10. :shhh:

Edited by spot
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest geomcewan

I've asked him a question concerning the numbers and stamp but doubt if he'll let it show on the listing. This, to my mind proves he knows what he's doing - ripping them off blind.

Social source share

• As Premium Stuff says I bought in the 70's and wasn't aware of bootlegs, some people might be just back on the scene or new to it and don't have a lot of in-depth knowledge and don't know what devious twats are out there. I collect a lot now as the kids have flown the nest and was very surprised to get sent a couple of pressings from a dealer on this site, yes he very quickly righted the problem with lots of excuses but its buyer beware at all times i'm afraid.
Social source share

Someone could always put in a super mad bid in for it and have the seller wetting himself, then when it comes to paying just tell him to feck off, i know for a fact e bay do jack shit about non payers if they happen to generate even a moderate amount of money on their site! :(

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!