Todays Boot Gone Wild - Don Varner Tsf

Huh? seller claims original. (EDIT....My mistake, I only read the part where it says 100% originals no reissues and didn't read the rest. The top line about 100% originals is wrong, though)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DON-VARNER-Tear-Stained-Face-Mojo-Mama-MEGA-RARE-NORTHERN-SOUL-Quinvy-45-Hear-/400533158324?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item5d41a2f9b4#ht_1515wt_1399

Edited by George G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

says 100% original pressings no re issues , then says below ,  this is the 2nd issue 1970's version , i'm confused. about for posts came in at once missed the above

Edited by gogger
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Something strange here. I cursory Google search would enable anyone to identify this as something other than the highly valued original. Someone is being conned but it may not be in the obvious way we might assume. Really marvellous record though. Where was it first played etc?

Social source share

MODERATOR - Please delete this thread, I was wrong in the original post

Actually I don't really think you were George. The seller should have listed it as a 70`s press in the title or further up in the actual listing and not after the line "100% ORIGINAL PRESSINGS -  NO RE-ISSUES!"

its something that a lot of people would have missed. :shhh:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

:huh: :huh: :huh:

I got £24 for Robert parker - I caught you in a lie - Nola - vg++

£37 for Big Maybelle - Quittin' Time / I cant Hold on - Rojac vg++

on ebay yesterday . I'm gonna change my name to -Lucky Fookin Eddie !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I may as well sell all my proper records for Fook All and buy some cheap boots to re-sell (yes I'm grumpy!)

Cheers

Lucky Eddie :dash2:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Well then this surely has to top the Tomangoes at £324 (crisis averted thanks to the SS scrutiny treatment), as the highest selling boot of all time then. Right?

"Rare boots" are really a situation where its "as much as the buyer is willing to pay", since to most of us they should be worth f***k all compared to the original. But I guess for a certain class of collectors in this scene if it looks close enough and isn't nearly as high-ticket priced as a true original artifact, these things are ok? As someone who's not been collecting rare soul too long (certainly not as long as most of you) I bought my fair share of pressings at the start, but knowingly so. I just wasn't ready to make that much of a financial dive into it, I suppose. But as its been mentioned on here in the Tomangoes boot post, a lot of these have really horrible sound quality. Granted they haven't been on the block so long, but for my money's worth if I was happy enough to purchase mostly represses of the rare sounds I love, I'd rather give it to someone like Outta Sight who seem to at least do a great job of mastering them. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Elsewhere the seller has stated:

I was told this was a 2nd pressing from the 1970's - and thus considered it a vintage pressing from 40 years ago - and an original of this version of the pressing - certainly not a contemporary reissue...I apologize for the confusion.

My italics.

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

Used copies have been selling in the 1000 range. A M- one got nearly 1300. I got one a while ago from a well known collector/dealer on this site after wanting one for years. I first heard the record 20+ years ago when I got the comp "tear stained soul" on (forgot the reissue label). Blew me away - both sides - even with the misguided stereo mix. I didn't know that it was a Northern Soul record at the time. It blows up the club when I play it out here in Seattle...worth every $ or quid I paid.

Social source share

Elsewhere the seller has stated:

I was told this was a 2nd pressing from the 1970's - and thus considered it a vintage pressing from 40 years ago - and an original of this version of the pressing - certainly not a contemporary reissue...I apologize for the confusion.

My italics.

I can't see this on the listing but in any case a bootleg is just that and should be mentioned - except of course Ebay won't allow boots to be sold (ha)

"2nd issue 1970's version'' is also misleading. Is this a mega rare version of the 60's classic none of us knew to exist?

Edited by Mister Fish
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

an original of this version of the pressing 

You can break down a lot from this text. "Pressing", for example, is a word with a different context to northern collectors. The word "version" could imply that its some kind of different recording than the one commonly known...something that could actually excite a lot of buyers if such a thing existed. Seems all around that the guy just simply doesn't see these things under the same microscope that we do. Still though, we'd assume that regardless of how its worded... and with a soundclip, label scan, and so many guides both online and in print available to (and usually in possession of) buyers of northern soul... that nobody in their right mind would bid up that much on it. But someone did, and chances are that even though the fine print was a bit confusing to this scene's buyers, it most likely was just someone who had the money and really wanted it, regardless of where, when, and by who it was pressed up. 

Social source share

I remember the shock that went around years back (90's maybe) when somebody sold a Lenny Curtis bootleg for seventy pounds.

Honestly I don't see any difference in somebody selling off old bootlegs for a fiver, thirty quid or seventy quid or eight hundred quid.

Where is the line at which point the soul fraternity jumps up in alarm and says " we must protect the fools from paying too much for a bootleg" ?

Is it too much to pay 20 pounds for an old boot? what about 40 quid is that too much? Is the line that shouldn't be crossed at £99 ?

At the end of the day the seller is offering an illegal item for much more than what was originally paid back in the 70's - so the amount the buyer pays is only relevant to them. Unless you have some emotional attachment beyond monetary value, they are valueless 

Sorry if my logic has spoiled all these " Shock, Horror" tabloid type threads                 

:thumbsup: 2 :wicked:  :pirate: s

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I see the price/bidding has been reduced dramatically since this thread. 

Unfortunately, it is only one bid that had disappeared ($888). so this means that the present leading bidder at the moment ($26.27) has a massive proxy amount in hand, slightly less or greater than $888.

I think a $10.00 bid accidentaly went in at $1000, and I'll bet the withdrawn bid was only supposed to be $8.88

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

£20(ish) is ok, it is a hard boot to get and I got offered £30 for my copy a few years ago. I must admit, I do collect the harder 70's boots like Eddie Parker 'I'm Gone', Lenny Curtis (this copy came in a proper 'End' sleeve!) etc and have a small box full just for a bit of NS nostalgia!! 

Edited by Soul-Slider
Social source share

£20(ish) is ok, it is a hard boot to get and I got offered £30 for my copy a few years ago. I must admit, I do collect the harder 70's boots like Eddie Parker 'I'm Gone', Lenny Curtis (this copy came in a proper 'End' sleeve!) etc and have a small box full just for a bit of NS nostalgia!! 

It's actually not a hard boot to get though, people shouldn't really pay more than £10 for it, neither is Lenny Curtis.  Eddie Parker is pretty scarce but not worth anything like the price it sells for.  Something like Rufus Wood "Before 2001" is a rare one.

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

My favourite sound of all time and one I would never sell.

It only takes a few seconds these days to authenticate records, specially one as blatant as DV. So in my opinion the seller knew exactly what he was doing sending all those mixed messages in the sales blurb. He's just about made his position defendable by talking about the 1970s.

Whether the buyer's now embarrassed at being fleeced or couldn't care less because he's got more money than sense, I have no idea.

Cheers.......Pete

Social source share

I first heard the record 20+ years ago when I got the comp "tear stained soul" on (forgot the reissue label). Blew me away - both sides - even with the misguided stereo mix.

The LP was on Charly Records and the recording came directly from the original master tapes and Quin Ivy himself. They were transferred onto DAT and brought back to the UK (along with an original copy of the 45 which went into my collection!). It wasn't until I was played the tape version (I worked at Charly at that point) that I noticed that it was a different take (not mix) to the released 45...the brass is distinctly different and more pronounced. There were also some unissued tracks of which a few made it onto that series of (x5) LPs.

Quinvy is certainly a contender for one of the best looking black label stock copies ever...and there are no WDs...thus making the bootleg easy to spot. Great label...very collectible...and I also urge folk to listen to Don Varners, "The Sweetest Story" on South Camp...incredibly Soulful vocal and production.

:)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I read these threads all the time and every time I come up with the same answer. The people that buy these records have too much money or they really don`t care about what anyone else thinks. Is the information out there for all to read and research before spending your money? As with Wally`s link above [Morning Wally] it probably will sell to someone who has too much money and really doesn't care what anyone else thinks. Also if E-bay as has been stated are so against bootlegs then surely if the listing is mis-leading all the details can be checked upon receipt and returned. accordingly and as we all know E-bay always lean towards the buyer.

Edited by HARRY CROSBY
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I agree with Pete, the problem lies in the mixed messages in the sales blurb.

Just took a look on popsike at found another from two years ago with the exact same wording:

Wigan classic and still filling dancefloors today. This is the 2nd issue 1970s version

No wonder there is confusion when the seller writes 100% Originals and then copy and pastes someone else's description. A case of lazy listing rather than deliberate attempt to confuse in my opinion.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Always remember my first introduction to Ebay 'Joey Deleronzo-Wake Up To The Sunshine Girl - Mi-Val I was up to £500 and had an email from the seller saying 'just to let you know the labels are reversed' I think it went for £520. BUYER BEWARE

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!