Spot The Cover Up

Going to post a few things up...four of them are cover ups, I don't know who any of them really are, maybe someone does - and they are all quality sounds. There's a Richard Caiton acetate and one of my favourite UK pop stompers, so hope you enjoy a couple of them.

1) No idea who it is

2) Covered up as Nolan Chance and has the same backing track as Cody Michaels

3) Richard Caiton - Reflections (acetate)

Social source share

• Replies 21
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

4) Probably well known to a lot of you, I think this is one of the best unreleased tracks ever, The Charmaines - I'm Standing In The Need Of Love. I think kev Roberts said he discovered this and it was an unissued Date recording.

5) The Ambers - Funny face girl. This is the original of the Gene Latter tune on UK CBS. It's not a great song anyway, but it's interesting.

6) No doubt this will split the board down the middle, this is not a soul record in any sense of the word but it's quite magical I think.

Social source share

Going to post a few things up...four of them are cover ups, I don't know who any of them really are, maybe someone does - and they are all quality sounds. There's a Richard Caiton acetate and one of my favourite UK pop stompers, so hope you enjoy a couple of them.

1) No idea who it is

1) Fred & Turbines - Bernadine - Cenco

2) Michael somebody, can't find the track list, Michael Christian ?

Social source share

4) Probably well known to a lot of you, I think this is one of the best unreleased tracks ever, The Charmaines - I'm Standing In The Need Of Love. I think kev Roberts said he discovered this and it was an unissued Date recording.

5) The Ambers - Funny face girl. This is the original of the Gene Latter tune on UK CBS. It's not a great song anyway, but it's interesting.

6) No doubt this will split the board down the middle, this is not a soul record in any sense of the word but it's quite magical I think.

Isn't the Charmains' track an April & Blackwood studio acetate?

tis Michael Christian Simon, on Concept I think off top of me head.

That's it, belongs to Mr Fortnum still, I think

Social source share

yeah 10 inch I think, there's a scan I think in one of Pete Lawson's old magazines. Roger Banks has it now, or did.

Shifty had one as well (Michael Christian), he covered it has Pookie Hudson or summat like that.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

yeah 10 inch I think, there's a scan I think in one of Pete Lawson's old magazines. Roger Banks has it now, or did.

Just looked in two of Pete's mags, no scan....few of Rob's old records and acetates in one but no Charmaines. Certain it's April and Blackwood though :D

Social source share

Twiggy eh?

Well spotted...three things about this record: 1, they made a promo to this with Twiggy against a white backdrop, often gets shown in programs about the 60's; 2, it came with a great black and white picture sleeve; 3, when Twiggy was in "The Boyfriend", Ember issued a really dodgy LP consisting of instrumental tracks from the stage show plus both sides of her two Ember singles...but the version of Beautiful Dreams was different to this one as it had a theremin on it!

Social source share

Guest 50box

1) No idea who it is

Turbines or ? What an immense sound, haven`t heard it for a while.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Thats what they said but Kev wouldn't lie about finding it...

It's not BY the Charmaines - according to the Columbia tape logs they only have one unreleased Date track, it's called "I Don't Wanna Lose Him" (recorded Chicago, March 9th 1966). Being an April & Blackwood acetate, it could however be Kendra Spottswood/Kenni Woods/Sandi Sheldon/whatever she was calling herself at that moment. Which would be equally nice, no?

TONE :thumbsup:

Social source share

It's not BY the Charmaines - according to the Columbia tape logs they only have one unreleased Date track, it's called "I Don't Wanna Lose Him" (recorded Chicago, March 9th 1966). Being an April & Blackwood acetate, it could however be Kendra Spottswood/Kenni Woods/Sandi Sheldon/whatever she was calling herself at that moment. Which would be equally nice, no?

Tony. A certain friend sent me a perfect quality recording of this at the weekend, I mean master tape quality, and he says it's Francine Barker...

Social source share

Tony. A certain friend sent me a perfect quality recording of this at the weekend, I mean master tape quality, and he says it's Francine Barker...

It's been a few years since I saw the studio acetate up close but sure no group mentioned on the label, just the title. I'm sure I have a scan somewhere but can I hell find it.

Roger Banks has it now and he's on here maybe he can enlighten us?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I'll have a look at the Columbia session logs today, to see if there are any unissued Sweet Things/Francene Barker tracks. That would make perfect sense, esp. given the Van mcCoy/April-Blackwood connection.Have to say that it sounds like it might be one of Van The Man's songs, and listening again it certainly sounds like Francene on lead. Of course, it might just have been a publisher's demo rather than an actual unreleased master, in which case it won't be logged as a Columbia/Date recording...

...Will get back to you!

TONE :rolleyes:

Social source share

I'll have a look at the Columbia session logs today, to see if there are any unissued Sweet Things/Francene Barker tracks. That would make perfect sense, esp. given the Van mcCoy/April-Blackwood connection.Have to say that it sounds like it might be one of Van The Man's songs, and listening again it certainly sounds like Francene on lead. Of course, it might just have been a publisher's demo rather than an actual unreleased master, in which case it won't be logged as a Columbia/Date recording...

...Will get back to you!

TONE :rolleyes:

Thought this might be of intrest ?

Their story begins in the Washington, D.C. of the 1960s, when Herb Feemster worked as a janitor but dreamed of making music. He subsequently found a night job as a salesman at Waxie Maxie's record shop, strategically located right near the Howard Theater (D.C.'s answer to the Apollo). Herb took advantage of his position, and talked to many people, sang to some, and even wrangled an audition with the managers of Little Anthony & The Imperials. Six months later, he was still nowhere.

Van McCoy walked into Maxie's one night. In D.C., McCoy was the man, having written for such artists as Nat "King" Cole and the Shirelles. Herb zeroed in on him and sang "When I Fall In Love." McCoy promised to get back to him, but Feemster had heard that line before and didn't believe him. McCoy, however, was as good as his word, and introduced Herb to Dave Kapralick (who managed Sly & The Family Stone), convinced the singer to change his surname to Fame, and started him on a solo career. It went nowhere.

Kapralick also managed a group called the Sweet Things, which included Francine Hurd. She later married and became Francine Barker, but was known by the nickname of "Peaches." McCoy's astute ear told him the time was ripe for a man and a woman to serenade the country. He paired Peaches and Herb, and had them cut a single called "We're In This Thing Together." Like Herb's solo recordings, it went nowhere. But eight months later, in February of 1967, a St. Louis radio station began playing the flip side, "Let's Fall In Love." The record soon peaked at #21 pop and #11 R&B, and Peaches & Herb officially became the Sweethearts of Soul.

Cheers Ian

Edited by Ian
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...Will get back to you!

TONE :yes:

The Sweet Things only had two unissued Date sides - "Big Brother" and "Help Yourself", recorded December '65 and June '66 respectively. But Van McCoy loved Francene Hurd Barker's voice, so it's quite likely that he used her as a demo vocalist when Kendra Spottswood was not available. In any event, my research has revealed that Van definitely wrote "Standing In The Need Of Love" and that it was originally published by April Music, so I'd suggest that "Standing" was merely a publishers' demo that was never cut at an 'official' session - especially as there's a slightly 'unfinished' feel to the track as we know and love it.

The copyright therefore would not seem to belong to Sony BMG, the current owners of Date, but to the estate of Van McCoy, as the song is now published by Van mcCoy music Inc.

TONE :lol:

Social source share

The Sweet Things only had two unissued Date sides - "Big Brother" and "Help Yourself", recorded December '65 and June '66 respectively. But Van McCoy loved Francene Hurd Barker's voice, so it's quite likely that he used her as a demo vocalist when Kendra Spottswood was not available. In any event, my research has revealed that Van definitely wrote "Standing In The Need Of Love" and that it was originally published by April Music, so I'd suggest that "Standing" was merely a publishers' demo that was never cut at an 'official' session - especially as there's a slightly 'unfinished' feel to the track as we know and love it.

The copyright therefore would not seem to belong to Sony BMG, the current owners of Date, but to the estate of Van McCoy, as the song is now published by Van mcCoy music Inc.

I was just about to say all that :shades:

no, I was going to say it was definitely written by Van McCoy...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!