Did We Know Bobby Paris Had Died?

I knew, but only because someone told me recently, it's just that I can't remember it being announced on here, if it has been then I apologise for repeating bad news, but it is pretty sad

This is from his wife....to Ian Levine

Hi Ian, OK now I feel better talking to you about BOBBY...We moved from Hollywood, CA to Las Vegas, NV in 2006 and bought a nice house...He was working on his album, but was always tired, then his son Bobby Jr. was killed in a car accident in Jan.2007 and he and I both became very depressed...he started going to the doctor who started draining his blood every week as they said it was to thick...after draining his blood doctors said he was doing fine, but he was sleeping more and more...then one night he felt so bad I took him to emergency...they started doing a lot of tests one being a bone marrow and they found out he had Leukemia...they only gave him 2 weeks to 2 months to live...I was ready to take him home at 4:00pm September 24, 2009 and he died at 3:50pm...what a shock that was because he never complained of any pain, was just tired...I lost my BEST friend, we knew each other since 1969, but did not marry until Feb. 27, 2001...Ian if you could let people know of Bobby's passing I would really appreciate it as I do not know how to google it...if not that's OK too...Over the Christmas Holidays my cousin who is in a band is going to help me with Bobby's music...so maybe there will be 1 more album...Well one more ting and its a big thing, Ian THANK YOU SOOO MUCH for all you did for him...

Not sure I knew Pete

Certainly hadn't seen that message to Ian before.

Very sad, although it sounds like Bobby didn't suffer too much pain, perhaps just fell asleep after feeling so tired for so long.

Thanks for sharing Pete.

P

• Helpful 2
Social source share

O.M.G  One of my all time favourites Northern artists

what a shame Richo

• Helpful 1
Social source share

We brought him over to appear in Blackburn at the Premier of "Srange World Of Northern Soul".

He was a bit bemused by the whole Northern Soul thing...refused to go on stage at first, but when he did he blew the place apart. 

At the time he was working at Toys R US in Los Angeles and he seemed pleased that he had a following in the UK (which he knew nothing about until Ian contacted him) but also  upset that it had not led to any financial gain for him.

RIP.   

• Helpful 1
Social source share

We brought him over to appear in Blackburn at the Premier of "Srange World Of Northern Soul".

He was a bit bemused by the whole Northern Soul thing...refused to go on stage at first, but when he did he blew the place apart. 

At the time he was working at Toys R US in Los Angeles and he seemed pleased that he had a following in the UK (which he knew nothing about until Ian contacted him) but also  upset that it had not led to any financial gain for him.

RIP.   

Just shows though doesn't it, he had two big reissue 45's out, the London issue of Night Owl (b/w Yvonne Baker) must have sold around 15,000 copies and I Walked Away maybe 10,000 copies, but all the royalties went elswhere - and that was from two legitimate UK releases.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

RIP.   

Kim and I picked him up from Manchester Airport and took him to Blackburn. He was a proper character and a genuinely nice bloke.

I remember his nerves before going on stage. Then he was given a "straightener" by someone (I'll not say who) and the rest is history.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Kim and I picked him up from Manchester Airport and took him to Blackburn. He was a proper character and a genuinely nice bloke.

I remember his nerves before going on stage. Then he was given a "straightener" by someone (I'll not say who) and the rest is history.

Had the pleasure of being introduced to Bobby that night, had a chat, drink, got his autograph Real gent. When he sang Night Owl it just blew me away. One of the great nights in my life. RIP a legend

Steve

Social source share

3 absolutely blinding tunes, from a white guy who had a voice that was embellished by black music, he must have got a great kick form recording them at the time, the symbolism being, that they have never fallen from popularity or have never been too far from people's thoughts or memories, evoking good times, they almost certainly have for a good many who frequented the scene way back and still do now...another icon laid to rest, but whose legacy will endure with this beloved scene. god bless and keep you bobby. :hatsoff2:

Social source share

There's some biographical info here.

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/bobby-paris-mn0001573884

This is not up to date either.

Anyone know his real name? I'm assuming that Paris is a stage name given his family background.

Great that he got recognition belatedly (thanks to IL) but saddens me when I think of others that died without knowing.

Did we ever solve the riddle of Joy Lovejoy ?

Social source share

There's some biographical info here.

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/bobby-paris-mn0001573884

This is not up to date either.

Anyone know his real name? I'm assuming that Paris is a stage name given his family background.

Great that he got recognition belatedly (thanks to IL) but saddens me when I think of others that died without knowing.

Did we ever solve the riddle of Joy Lovejoy ?

Real name Roberto Pares. He was a New Yorican. From New York of Puerto Rican descent

Social source share

Met bobby in Vegas walking past me by chance - I stopped him and had a great chat . He was a real nice guy - talking about his house and wife etc . I spoke in detail about his music that sort of shocked him given my age at the time (36) but I will say he was a gent and another legend gone .

Rip bobby - we will miss you

Social source share

Guest scottie

well played pete for the initial posting,sad news indeed another sad example of an artist who gave alot of people a lot of pleasure and never really got the rewards deserved.

Edited by scottie
Social source share

well played paul for the initial posting,sad news indeed another sad example of an artist who gave alot of people a lot of pleasure and never really got the rewards deserved.

People usually call me Steve for some reason but not often Paul  :lol:

Social source share

Guest scottie

so sorry pete

People usually call me Steve for some reason but not often Paul  :lol:

sorry pete for the typo got one eye on the door expecting my gaffer back anytime,great posting though pal

Edited by scottie
Social source share

• 5 years later...
Guest Sondra Currie

I knew Bobby had passed on, though I didn’t know Bobby Jr. was tragically killed in a crash. I contributed to the book Tara Murthina did on Bobbie Gentry insofar verifying Bobby’s major hand in the production of Ode to Billie Joe. Bobby and I were married until 1971.  I’m so sorry Judy...

Social source share

Thanks Sondra. We’re you an actress?

Hopefully this extract of the book will display for our members. Interesting read from page 49.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=rqygBQAAQBAJ&pg=PA51&lpg=PA51&dq=bobby+paris+sondra+currie&source=bl&ots=Ddmq-Wr2d_&sig=vLdEvYDGSN--JSQ2EMMrp1_ViWs&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiWv7aSiOPeAhUlCcAKHepMATgQ6AEwCnoECAEQAQ#v=onepage&q=bobby paris sondra currie&f=false

Edited by David Meikle
Added sentence #3
Social source share

I seem to recall that Bobby was invited to the LA2004 Kev Roberts event, but did not want to come along because he was embarrassed by his day job.

If that was the reason, it's so sad, as has been mentioned here earlier, he was already a Legend to Northern Soul fans and would have been revered by the 700 or so fans who turned up on the Saturday night.

Ed

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!