Making A Good Venue Into A Great Venue ?

Guest gibber

Guest gibber

Apoligies to anybody`s previous threads.

In my opinion the venue i run and help to promote is ideal for soul nights even all-nighters.( wink.gif ) Got the lot you could wish for in a venue but until our recent anniversary with a good turn out, it makes you realise that to turn a venue into a great venue its down to attendance, what ever the music policy.

So is it down to attendance only?

Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Apoligies to anybody`s previous threads.

In my opinion the venue i run and help to promote is ideal for soul nights even all-nighters.( :P ) Got the lot you could wish for in a venue but until our recent anniversary with a good turn out, it makes you realise that to turn a venue into a great venue its down to attendance, what ever the music policy.

So is it down to attendance only?

attendance is important because you can't have a great venue with 15 people in it, no matter what the music. you can still have a great night out, but that's a different thing.

i'm only going on memories but i think 'great' venues all started with music policy and, if they got that right and all the other venue ducks were in a row, the attendance might follow (though obviously one man's great might be another man's rubbish).

mind you, and i hate to sound pessimistic, i don't think there'll ever be any new great venues again.

you need the combination of critical mass of numbers and the enthusiasm and off your tits-ness that most people only feel in their teens and early 20s (for going out and dancing all night, not the music) IMO, and obviously those are both in shorter supply now.

Social source share

Hi Andy, I think there several factors that make a ordinary venue into a great venue with a 'full house' probably being the most important. You don't seem to create atmosphere without a good attendance. Locally (Black Country) Soul & Motown nights are hugely popular but the music is mostly stuff you've heard once to often. However, because the place is rammed full with everybody enjoying themselves they are truely memorable nights. Regards Ade

Social source share

If its down to attendance only then I have to strongly disagrree.

Music policy will shape how popular a venue is plus ease of access.

Stoke All nighters as a nostalgia trip are successful, 1500 plus attend, including myself.

However if I want to hear semi knowns / underplayed I'll travel to Aylesbury or Wellingborough. (Both are relatively local for me)

Both venues are undervalued IMO and worthy of more recognition.

The best 2 days I had recently were at the Northampton weekender.

The live acts were superb but attendance was not the over riding factor.

If I'm seeing this through rose coloured glasses perhaps Jo, Paddy or any other DJ could put me right?

Bottom line I'll try and support anyone who has the balls to organise a function.

Some venues will die but there will always be that hidden gem- just like the music!

Social source share

if its a good venue and a good venue and a good venue and a good venue dont they say when the good venue is sadly gone that they had some great nights there!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!