Review - Chalfont St Giles, Bucks - Sat 16 Oct

Mike

Posted via "contact" by

Karen B

Review - Chalfont St Giles, Bucks - Sat 16 Oct.

I went along to see what this was like and I thought it was great! 'Posh' Hall in the middle of nowhere but places to park. Lovely wooden dance floor, great atmosphere, music catered for all, nice to see Gavin Paige (on his nite off!) x Would definitely recommend it and go again! Thank you to Stuart Ross and co for your hospitality and look forward to hopefully seeing you on Sat 23rd at Quality Hotel in St Albans.

• Replies 27
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi Karen, thanks for good report on Chalfont. I think we chatted on the nite. Most people seemed to have a really good time. There was a very mixed group of people & it was quite difficult catering for everybody. The Across The Board policy seemed to work, with the emphasis on playing quality uptempo soul & just having some fun.

We are booking it again for Sat 11.12.04, so it will be a Xmas style party nite - with the emphasis on Northern & Modern Soul. It will be free again. I don't think its going to be a regular event, but thats really Stuart's decision.

Ref Supercosas comments, yes there was a sound problem early on. I wasn't aware of it until a couple of girls complained. It turns out the master controls for the mixer are located behind the bar. Once we were aware of the problem it was quick & easy to resolve.

regards

Col.

I also went to this and thought it was ggggrrreat!

Great music and a packed dancefloor!

nice to meet so many new people, hello Colin!!!

heres to the next one........ :)

Well what can I say this really was a terrific night , nice venue , great atmosphere,

some across the board sounds , both old and new. Northern , some modern.

[ and FUNK wonderfull :) ]

Can,t say I noticed the sound problem , too busy on the dancefloor.

And for a free event , this was a real treat.

We travelled from nearby Slough by minibus, and will be at the next one for sure.

thanks to the dj team, really enjoyed the night.

There was certainly a lot of people from all over the place present, put me down for the next one gaurenteed.

I hear they do Sundays too, sometimes .

Edited by Soul 4 U

We do every sunday, 7pm til 10.30 @ The Village Hall Inn, Chalfont St.Peter......

Next Sunday 24th- Rossi and Bomber

60's soul, northern, modern and funk.

Week after is'nt on due to a halloween party

Sun 7th Nov- Rossi and Fitz

modern soul and funk.

Sun 14th Nov- Rossi and Jo

Northern, modern, motown and 60's r & b

Sun 21st Nov- Bomber and Bruce

Jazz,funk,60's r & b, 70's soul

Sun 28th Nov- Rossi and Fitz

Soul across the board, 60's-present

Hope to see some of you there,

Jo

Sundays not a good day for me to get across to Gerrards Cross , but may try to tempt a few friends along. soon.

Certainly getting a little better in the area for events, RSG at Aylesbury also worth the drive up.

Spectrum had a very nice feel about it , cosy venue, nice bar area, good wooden floorboards for dancing, and of course the music was good also .

I,d have glady paid to get in , as the night was very enjoyable.

I have to admitt that I do,nt get to as many events as I used too ,but the Spectrum

lads certainly gave me the flavour for more.

Ascot northern Soul night at the end of the month maybe, and will be at the next Spectrum.

Soul 4 U :thumbsup::thumbsup::lol:wink.gifwink.gif ::

Edited by Soul 4 U

WHAT A NIGHT - DANCED MY SOCKS OFF - CAN'T REMEMBER THE LAST TIME I WENT TO A VENUE THAT PLAYED A GREAT CROSSOVER FROM NORTHERN TO RARE CLASSIC GROOVES - WHAT A TREAT - EVERYTHING ON THE SAME NIGHT - I WILL BE BACK ON THE 11TH DEC WITH A FEW MORE FOLLOWERS. THANKS GUYS - A NIGHT TO REMEMBER - WE'RE STILL TALKING ABOUT NOW!! :thumbsup::lol::thumbsup:

nice to see you mischief......see you at hemsby!!!

link

Yeh i'll be there... looking forward to it as always.. i'll be djing in the Northern room as always.. I think this year they have swaped the rooms over!!!

Did you go to Camber? we had a dj afternoon in the Northern Room.. and the dj's played what they wanted... It was really intresting as we all played our own taste rather than crowd pleasers.. I remember some one coming up to me, after Me and Pete Tebutt shared the decks for an hour .. they said to me "I've sat here for an hour and only heard one record I know, yet i've had the best afternoon ever at a scooter rally listern to what you've played the music was excellent" Thought that was nice, one of them things I will proberly never forget as he ment it.....

See you at Hemsby, are many from Bar Italia going?

:thumbsup:

Guest Johnny One Trout

"Ooh me chalfonts are giving me some right gyp"

WOOF!

link

Classic :thumbsup: :lol:for some reason i'm hearing this as spoken by Avid Merrion's Scary Spice :thumbsup: ya beauty :lol:

It's Chalfont St.Peter, near Amersham

Mischief:

Dont think any of the bar italia lot are going,

I shall be cavorting about the place with the lovely Trifle,

was at Camber sat night, mega!

Edited by Guest

THANKS EVERYONE FOR COMING TO THE 1ST SOUL SPECTRUM EVENT.SEEMS TO HAVE GONE DOWN WELL.NOW SORTING OUT 11TH DECEMBER DO.HOPEFULLY WITH A LATE BAR...MUSIC WILL B THE SAME BUT WILL B PLAYING SOME MORE OF THE CLASSIC OLD SCHOOL WAS ASKED TO PLAY SOME SATURDAY BUT DIDNT HAVE MUCH IN MY SAINSBURYS BAG.SO NEXT TIME SOME MORE WILL B PLAYED,ONLY BY ME.SO THE REST OF THE TIME WILL B NORTHERN/MODERN SOUL....................THANKS TO THE OTHER 3 DJS,THEY KNOW WHO THEY ARE.SEE YOU ALL SOON.

FROM THE PRESIDENT OF THE SOUL SPECTRUM SOCIETY

ROSSI

P.S ST ALBANS SATURDAY HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE :thumbsup::lol:tongue.gif:thumbsup:

Always thought they were located around the arse region .....

"Ooh me chalfonts are giving me some right gyp"

WOOF!

link

It is also where that fruitcake with the bells lives - Mike Oldfield.

Oooh me Chalfonts!

Oooh me grapes of wrath

and oooh me Nobby Stiles

Shane

Hi Jo - really good to meet you Saturday. Look forward to the next one!

Mischief, what can I say? - that was some truly inspired dancing!

Did you keep the 'baton of soul' - will your dancing ever be the same without it?

For anybody who can't wait until 11.12.04 here is a few other local do's

Ascot - Club One (Northern Soul Oldies) Sunday 31.10.04

The following I'm sorta involved in helping to promote & will be posting details on shortly:

Farnborough 20.11.04 - Moldies new do.

Bisley 27.11.04 - new boys Tim Brown & Col The Soul - ooh that me!

Lightwater 4.12.04 - that'll do nicely as a warm up for the 100 club!

ciao 4 now

just thought this may help a few fellow Soulies......

CHALFONT ST PETER is right by GERRARDS CROSS.

A 40 FROM LONDON, its 10 mins from Uxbridge, 15mins from Slough.....

Quite near Amersham....[which is on the Tube metropolitan line i think]

Quite a Posh area.......how they let a load of hyped up soulboys in that pub I,ll never know. [especially the SLOUgh gang]

But tell you what I,m still thinkin what a great little night it was,

did you know that you can make an anagram for SOUL from the word SLOUGH

not many towns can boost that......

SOUL 4 U.....Slough

Ahhh...Chalfont St Peter eh? Its been a long time since I ventured to a soul night out in Bucks. The Elgiva Hall, Chesham, in the early 80s used to be top notch if you fancied a scrap with a rival local scooter club...or the local casuals...well they tried it on just the once. Not that I ever got involved, of course. DJ's back then included Mark White, Bicknell, Cockney Mick...them were the days!

Edited by marco
  • 1 month later...

:unsure:

Thats not quite how i remember it marco ! you not getting involved that is !!

Ahhh...Chalfont St Peter eh? Its been a long time since I ventured to a soul night out in Bucks. The Elgiva Hall, Chesham, in the early 80s used to be top notch if you fancied a scrap with a rival local scooter club...or the local casuals...well they tried it on just the once. Not that I ever got involved, of course. DJ's back then included Mark White, Bicknell, Cockney Mick...them were the days!

link

link

There was the one night when the Police came in and unplugged the sound system at Chesham, Mick Webb came storming up to the stage yelling "who f**king switched it off" when informed by the local sergeant "I have sir" Mick responded "well what the f**k did you do that for, we got a soul night to run"....reply? "Not any more you haven't sir". Thanks for the memories Marco, loved doing those nights.

They were good ! but not a patch on townfield house !!

There was the one night when the Police came in and unplugged the sound system at Chesham, Mick Webb came storming up to the stage yelling "who f**king switched it off" when informed by the local sergeant "I have sir" Mick responded "well what the f**k did you do that for, we got a soul night to run"....reply? "Not any more you haven't sir". Thanks for the memories Marco, loved doing those nights.

link