• Last Reply

Most active in this topic

• 11 months later...

Just looked at a couple of receipts.

23rd June.....

Small parcel 1st Class Recorded UK £3.20 weight 0.196kg

Also a UK ISgned for 1st Large Letter 0.145kg £2.34

UK Special Delivery £7.15

Finland (Value £50) £8.70  (£11.20 I think over £50)

Europe Internationally signed for £11.90 (over £50)

Social source share

A folding card, 2× stiffeners and 1 x 45, recorded was 3.90, weighed in at 0.19.

A folding card, 1x stiffeners and 6x 45, recorded was 3.90, weighed in at 0.92.

Its more to do with size of package I reckon, ooer!

Social source share

if you use a record mailer envelope type you would be surprised how many some people cram in .

i have just sent 100 poly sleeves in a fold type mailer  fits through the large letter slot weight 599 grams

£2.38 first £3.48 first signed for.

45's will be a lot cheaper than that as the max weight with good stiffeners will be around 150 grams

if you go to the post office i would have thought they will put it through as a small parcel as half of the staff havn't a clue.

kev

Social source share

A folding card, 2× stiffeners and 1 x 45, recorded was 3.90, weighed in at 0.19.

190 grams 1st class signed for a should be £2.34

920 grams would be classed as a small parcel under 1kg and should be £4.30 signed for

if you do not cut the folding card type so they meet when you seal them it could take them over the 2.5 cm thickness limit for large letters 

kev

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

That's probably because you exceeded the thickness requirements for a large letter.

which most standard mailers don't.

Yup, 3.90 is the cost for 2nd class Small Parcel (recorded) ie over 25mm thick

A very good postage link, all price options for home & overseas at the click of a button, just put in the weight

https://www.seajays.org.uk/postage/index.cfm

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Its a new post office and I did notice that they didn't check size through a frame like the other post offices did. I think I will have a word when I go down tomorrow. 

I want my old PO back which was 2 minutes walk  :(

H

Social source share

There is no reason at all for anyone to send a 45 in a package that makes it into a small parcel (rather than a large letter), so being charged £4 in the UK for a recorded delivery 45 is a down right rip off imho

It might be a case of the post office making it a small parcel rather than the sender?

Social source share

£3.90 is small packet signed for 2nd class, which is an album price, so the package is as said too thick to go through the measure the p.o. use as a large letter, which would be £2.27 if it did go through. 1st class small packet signed for is £4.30. If you reduce the size you can send a 2 x 45 (up to 250g) for £2.34 1st signed for. So everybody is right in one way or another -  Simples! :)

cheers Sutty

Social source share

Taking this topic slightly on a tangent but just noticed these shipping rates for a job lot from the states:

Shipping to: Germany $130. Italy: $144. United Kingdom: $168. France: $144. Japan: $161. Canada: $137. Belgium $144. Australia $254

How come its cheaper to ship to Germany, France, Belgium and Italy than the UK when the UK is nearer and how come Germany is cheaper still than France, Italy and Belgium any enlightment would be appreciated :huh:

Social source share

Taking this topic slightly on a tangent but just noticed these shipping rates for a job lot from the states:

Shipping to: Germany $130. Italy: $144. United Kingdom: $168. France: $144. Japan: $161. Canada: $137. Belgium $144. Australia $254

How come its cheaper to ship to Germany, France, Belgium and Italy than the UK when the UK is nearer and how come Germany is cheaper still than France, Italy and Belgium any enlightment would be appreciated :huh:

I guess it depends where the courier's shipping hubs etc. are located. UK may be geographically nearer but if the package is shipped to mainland Europe (probably Germany looking at this instance) and then has to be re-routed over the water to the UK the costs are going to be higher as there's more manpower etc. involved in physically loading/unloading the package, customs clearance and the like.

Social source share

I guess it depends where the courier's shipping hubs etc. are located. UK may be geographically nearer but if the package is shipped to mainland Europe (probably Germany looking at this instance) and then has to be re-routed over the water to the UK the costs are going to be higher as there's more manpower etc. involved in physically loading/unloading the package, customs clearance and the like.

Thanks Sweeney, that would make sense if hubs are located on mainland europe.

Social source share

i post records all the time.the important thing is to make sure they will fit through the gap at the p.o. making them a large letter.2nd class recorded weight of 0.123kg is £2.27.NOT recorded is £1.17.make sure the p.o. do not rip you off by charging you small parcel rate which is £2.80.if you post an lp it will cost you £2.80 2nd class NOT recorded.hope this helps 

Social source share

you were ripped off im sorry to say.make them check the width or take another 45 packed the same way & see how much they say it is to post.should only be just over £2. OR change your p.o. I did!!!!

Social source share

i post records all the time.the important thing is to make sure they will fit through the gap at the p.o. making them a large letter.2nd class recorded weight of 0.123kg is £2.27.NOT recorded is £1.17.make sure the p.o. do not rip you off by charging you small parcel rate which is £2.80.if you post an lp it will cost you £2.80 2nd class NOT recorded.hope this helps 

£2.27 is first class recorded for a 45.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

I found a copy of The Loser (Derrick Harriott) on ebay last week, buy it now £15 (listed as the other side) so obviously I bought it like a flash, then I noticed the postage, £5.60!  So I said look, it's saying £5.60 postage, will you refund the difference and the seller said yes of course, it arrived in a beat up old Amazon mailer, not recorded, 90p stamp on it, no sign of my refund.  Five days later, I have asked about my refund but still nothing.  So I'm wondering, do I just celebrate getting the record so cheap and take it on the chin, or leave them a negative for ripping people off with postage!

Social source share

Whys there so much variation in UK postage prices, it costs me £2.34 every time now for a 45 (signed for)

Thats the standard price, 90% of all my records cost that to post (thats up to 3 records in one mailer).  They just weight one and say how many have you got, don't even weigh the rest.

Social source share

Thats 2nd class recorded for up to 2 x45, here's the pdf, just lookup the prices here.

large letter up to 250g for 45

small packet up to 1kg for 12/LP

https://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/files/RM_OurPrices_Mar2014.pdf

cheers Sutty

I have doen and that isn't for recorded, just standard 2nd class from what i can see. The 45 I posted other week was 1st class recorded (signed for) and £2.34. 

Social source share

They are starting a new service called drop and go, you have a pre paid card which you hand over with your packages and they automatically take the money off it and do your post when they have a quiet period

They've given me a form for that Pete but I haven't got round to filling it in yet

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!