Clip Of Old Sheffield Soul Club

Guest sharmo 1

Guest sharmo 1

Hi there some time back there was a link or a thread that showed a piece of black and white footage of a soul club in Sheffield i'm sure the backdrop music was the impressions could do with a look at it again any ideas what it was regards S.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Could it be the clip of the Plebeians club in Halifax on You Tube with Can't Satisfy playing. I usually find it by a search for Impressions Cant Satisfy and click on the girl with wide eyes.

Rick

Could it be the clip of the Plebeians club in Halifax on You Tube with Can't Satisfy playing. I usually find it by a search for Impressions Cant Satisfy and click on the girl with wide eyes.

Rick

Hi Rick yes it was , thank you very much I just love that piece of film best regards Simon. :)

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

This .................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEAJj7O3B8M

Never attended the club though I was attending the Wheel in 67 (after the Mojo shut).

Strange thing about the West Yorkshire crowd back then .... just as many went to the Wheel on a regular basis as attended the Mojo (even before the Mojo closed).

The area was well served with soul clubs back then. The Bin Lid in Dewsbury, the Tin Chicken in Castleford, the Bee Gee in Leeds, Normanton Baths, String o' Beads, Lord Jims, Spinning Disc and more.  

Sir thank you I would think the area is long since demolished and re developed but on the off chance does anyone know where the building was and if possible if it still stands as I'm researching old buildings associated with the soul scene best regards Simon.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Think its buy a pub with buildings around it. Krissi on here sent me a photo of the plaque.

Hi there young Tim how's things ? I'm really interested in these old buildings associated with the soul scene anything in Cov ? regards crazy guy on ten foot stilts.

Social source share

Yes a Sikh temple that was called the tree tops Pete waterman was the dj and jj Barnes appeared live there a bit before my time :)

This local newspaper article deals with the place (& shows a photo of the building) .........

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/lifestyle/nostalgia/coventry-nostalgia-remembering-coventrys-banba-3414344

post-22122-0-87805100-1375720473_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Rick yes it was , thank you very much I just love that piece of film best regards Simon. :)

Hi Simon

Great clip, watched it loads of time. Some really cool characters, especially the wide awake girls. I think it's a BBC clip, so would be interesting to know what the rest of the program was about.

Rick

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Hi Simon

Great clip, watched it loads of time. Some really cool characters, especially the wide awake girls. I think it's a BBC clip, so would be interesting to know what the rest of the program was about.

Rick

Hi Rick I'm going to try and find out more !!!!!

Social source share

Guest Andy Carling

This .................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEAJj7O3B8M

Never attended the club though I was attending the Wheel in 67 (after the Mojo shut).

Strange thing about the West Yorkshire crowd back then .... just as many went to the Wheel on a regular basis as attended the Mojo (even before the Mojo closed).

The area was well served with soul clubs back then. The Bin Lid in Dewsbury, the Tin Chicken in Castleford, the Bee Gee in Leeds, Normanton Baths, String o' Beads, Lord Jims, Spinning Disc and more.  

Before my time but nice to see what it was like back in the early days, nice post.

Andy

Social source share

Seem to recall footage of another 60's club, featuring a live performance from Geno Washington (I think). Can anyone jog my memory?

I have also seen footage of the Brasenose St Wheel, via Jos from the Amsterdam Soul Club, but cant find this on youtube.

Dave

Social source share

Sir thank you I would think the area is long since demolished and re developed but on the off chance does anyone know where the building was and if possible if it still stands as I'm researching old buildings associated with the soul scene best regards Simon.

Bin Lid , Union Street , Dewsbury is still standing and I believe in use as business premises of some description , all neatly sand blasted now though , possibly still got the same fire escape renovated as well not sure though.

Happy days

Martyn

Social source share

Lots of info here on some of the old venues (Bee Gee, Spinning Disc, Tin Chicken aka Crystal Bowl + many more) & the buildings they were in ....... https://www.zanywoodruff.com/scrapbook/on-the-road

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

By all accounts the Crystal Bowl (which housed the Tin Chicken) was built on top of the Roman part of Cas.

Info here ....     1960s - Redevelopment in Albion Street/Carlton Street, Castleford  >>

Substantial redevelopment started in 1963 and included a new bus station and the bowling alley, Crystal Bowl. Suddenly Roman finds were being found in large numbers, and the importance of Castleford’s Roman past began to be recognised. For the first time professional archaeologists were involved in Castleford. Staff from the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments office at York watched the work, but were not able to do detailed recording. Library staff did sterling work rescuing objects from the builders’ spoil heaps

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!