King Records / R & B Discs Ltd

Roburt

I know they ended up putting out loads of Irish things but in their early days it was mainly ska & soul tracks that they released.

London based (Stamford Hill, North London) and run by a guy named Ben Isen. They seemed to do their US licensing via three strange outfits in Las Vegas, Florida and LA plus they had links with Swedish & Dutch organisations.

BUT, how did they land the ska stuff, who did they license those tracks through ? 

post-22122-0-73076800-1375660190_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Is the background / history of this UK record company documented anywhere ??

I think I wrote a piece on the label in the late 90's which might be in the archives here.  Then again, I might not have.  I thought there surname was Izen though.  They dealt directly with producers in Jamaica.  

Social source share

Didn't realise that Giant Records was one of theirs, though the info is printed on the 45's labels (always loved "Cool Down Your Temper").

I did THINK that the UK Carnival label (2 x Manhattans 45's) was connected though. Is that not the case ?

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Didn't realise that Giant Records was one of theirs, though the info is printed on the 45's labels (always loved "Cool Down Your Temper").

I did THINK that the UK Carnival label (2 x Manhattans 45's) was connected though. Is that not the case ?

It's very likely, the vinyl is the same quality as Ska Beat from the same period but I can't say for sure.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just got this back from my mate Brian who used to shop at the Isen's/King's place in the 60s:

Yo G-Man, thanks for the heads up on that but I'm afraid he will have to read my book for any info on Rita & Benny. He starts out saying they ended up doing Irish music, well actually that's not true. They started out by selling Irish music and one of their biggest acts was Larry Cuningham.

Social source share

Just got this back from my mate Brian who used to shop at the Isen's/King's place in the 60s:

Yo G-Man, thanks for the heads up on that but I'm afraid he will have to read my book for any info on Rita & Benny. He starts out saying they ended up doing Irish music, well actually that's not true. They started out by selling Irish music and one of their biggest acts was Larry Cuningham.

I'd tell him where to shove his book and get the info off the net where it costs f*ck all.

And he's incorrect, they'd been trading for four or five years before they released a Larry Cunnigham record

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

• 5 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!