Ebay Again

IS THIS LEGAL

Hello,

From 4 September, final value fees for all private sellers will change, as well as insertion fees for private sellers with a Basic Shop on eBay.co.uk

Final value fees change for all private sellers

Final value fees will be charged based on the combined value of the item listed plus postage. For example, if an item sells for £20 with postage cost of £4, the final value fee will be charged based on the combined value of £24. This will not apply if the listing offers collection only.

KEV

Social source share

IS THIS LEGAL

Hello,

From 4 September, final value fees for all private sellers will change, as well as insertion fees for private sellers with a Basic Shop on eBay.co.uk

Final value fees change for all private sellers

Final value fees will be charged based on the combined value of the item listed plus postage. For example, if an item sells for £20 with postage cost of £4, the final value fee will be charged based on the combined value of £24. This will not apply if the listing offers collection only.

KEV

Totally legit.  Just more greed on the part of eBay.  They're just screwing every last penny out of the seller.  Don't worry, eventually it will all come crashing down.  I sense they're feeling the pinch already with all the constant offers of free listings, which only used to happen occasionally but now appear to happen every few weeks.  But I guess they'll give you a few pence for the occasional free listing then take a few more pounds back in return when your item sells.  Bearing in mind they're already taking a cut of the p&p charges from the seller when anyone pays thru eBay owned paypal.  Pure unadulterated greed!

Social source share

Maybe ebay didn't like the sellers, who for example, put something up for a penny and charge £29.99 for post therefore paying next to nothing in fees. Some sellers try anything they can to get around the fees, so in the end everyone who sells suffers! :(

• Helpful 2
Social source share

they tried to do this a while ago but they got too much backlash so they changed it back. but then too many sellers worked around it by doing what trog states. it happens a lot more in the electronics, like stuff listed for a penny with high shipping.

Social source share

Aren't final value fees calculated at point of sale (ie. when auction finishes) ?

Assume they will cater for multiple item postage discounts?

Otherwise the fee will be based on FULL postage for that one item at point f sale even though a discount may be applied later due to multiple purchases being sent to same buyer.

Social source share

Guest Andy Carling

This has got to be a good thing though right?  Stopping or helping stop people overcharging on postage?

Totally agree if sellers are trying to rip off ebay buyers by charging high postage, then this is probably the only thing ebay can do to prevent them. The only thing genuine sellers can do now is to put up there postage by 10% to cover the additional charge.

Andy

Social source share

I can't believe what I'm reading... You openly admit to having a Volvo!

Steve

a 2000 Volvo V40 I bought this January with 34000 miles on the clock- One lady owner Its immaculate inside and out Cost me £2k

I like it!

I bought that off ebay!

My other vehicle also off ebay is my Kawasaki 500

Edited by Ernie Andrews
Social source share

So if P&P added to arrive at final ebay fee, it means it will be cheaper to sell to someone in same country than to someone abroad.

Probably lead more dealers to impose 'only sell to US based customers' / 'only sell to UK based customers' type conditions.

Social source share

a 2000 Volvo V40 I bought this January with 34000 miles on the clock- One lady owner Its immaculate inside and out Cost me £2k

I like it!

I bought that off ebay!

My other vehicle also off ebay is my Kawasaki 500

Are they Matchbox or Corgi ? 

Social source share

Totally agree if sellers are trying to rip off ebay buyers by charging high postage, then this is probably the only thing ebay can do to prevent them. The only thing genuine sellers can do now is to put up there postage by 10% to cover the additional charge.

Andy

no its not.  they could use the tarrifs that the post office use to charge when you send a parcel. too simple tho that

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This has got to be a good thing though right?  Stopping or helping stop people overcharging on postage?

I'm not sure it will though Pete,  you'll up your recorded delivery charge by 10% to cover the Ebay fee which means you'll be posting at cost or close to it.  However, someone, who's grossly overcharging on postage at present will do exactly the same and they'll still trouser the same profit as they do now on the postage they charge, even after fees. 

Ebay will gain from the increased revenues they earn by adding fees to postage, sellers should be no worse off - if they increase postage to cover Ebay fees -  and buyers pick up the tab by paying increased postage .

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!