Bury,st.ives And Lifeline

The weekend started at 5pm Friday night when I was picked up by the world famous Billy and Kev Fev, off to Peterborough for Mr Click and the on to Bury Town Hall. Arrived around 10 (I think) to be greeted at the door by Neil, Jayne and Sean.

Quick change, dump the bags and off for a scout around. I've only been to Bury once before, but was surprised at the amount of familiar faces around. The main hall was filling nicely. Off up the stairs and into the 3rd room which entitled Something different, had a sit down and listened to some R&B. Popped my head into the modern room later with Jayne, I didn't stay long but the dance floor was busy and everyone looked like they were enjoying themselves.

The record bar had plenty of sales boxes and customers looking through said boxes. I spent most of my night in the main room, even hitting the floor for a few dances. I was a bit taken aback when a man I had never met came up and asked me if I was that girl off the internet, pardon? Are you Binty ? I was tempted to say I was Janine, good job I didn't as she arrived around 4am with Dave Abbott doing Dalek impressions. It was a very good night with lots of nice friendly people it's just a shame we live so far away.

Left just after closing at 6am and started the long drive home. Got back around lunchtime and tried to get some sleep, the thought that I wouldn't get much kept me awake needless to say.

Next stop Kings Lynn bus station at 7pm to get the coach organised by one of the Lynn soulies to St.Ives for the annual reunion. The 53 seater was packed and bottles and cans being passed about, I didn't think it wise to indulge as it would have been the end of me and I probably would have ended snoring on the bus and missing the fun.

An hour and a quarter later we pulled up into the car park.

St.Ives will always be very special to me as this was where I attended my first all nighter, I dread to think how many hours sleep I have missed in this place. The hall was heaving; I think there were more people there than I have ever seen at a St.Ives reunion, although they are always very busy.

So many people from the lists (too many to mention), plus all the faces from my misspent youth that I only really see once a year, meant I found it difficult to get to the dance floor as at every turn there was someone else to hug and catch up with, but you can't go to St.Ivo and not get on the dance floor.

For the first time the small room was also open. This was the oldies room in the 70's it must have been the very oldies room after all these years. It hadn't changed, still as black as the hole of cal cutter.

I left St.Ives around ten minutes before the end in a people carrier with 3 others and was once again on the road, this time we were heading up to Dewsbury for the 5th Lifeline event.

Got there around 3am, the car park was packed was jam solid and it took us a fair bit of shuffling around to park. Once again the place was heaving, just where do so many soulies come from?

Again many faces from the various lists and forums. The floor saw plenty of dance action, but not from me as I was flagging a bit, so settled down with several cups of coffee to listen to the music and natter.We left at 7am and although I was shattered I was so glad to have made the effort and visited 3 completely different nights, each with their own special atmosphere and musical styles.

As a final note, I would like to say how good it was to see Nogsy at St.Ives, not just enjoying the night but DJing too, and I would like to say a big thank you to the promoters of all three events. I and everyone else was made to feel really welcome.

Karen

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Johnny One Trout

Kin ell Binty i didn't realise that you had done all that this weekend!!!! That's the sort of stuff we used to do back in the day!!! Fair play to you i don't think i could do that myself nowadays, well not AND keep my job.

John

Hi Karen,twas me who asked if you were the girl off the internet,have to confess I'd had on or two drinks on friday the opening line was supposed to be really sensible but lost all coherence by the time it had got from my brainbox to my mouth OOPS!!! glad you enjoyed bury and yes lifeline was awesome ,promise to be sober next time we speak,honest

cheers Mick

Guest micksmith

Kin ell Binty i didn't realise that you had done all that this weekend!!!! That's the sort of stuff we used to do back in the day!!! Fair play to you i don't think i could do that myself nowadays, well not AND keep my job.

John

link

SOUNDS LIKE WHAT WE USED TO ALL THOSE YEARS AGO. WELL DONE KAREN.

Hi Karen,twas me who asked if you were the girl off the internet,have to confess I'd had on or two drinks on friday the opening line was supposed to be really sensible but lost all coherence by the time it had got from my brainbox to my mouth OOPS!!! glad you enjoyed bury and yes lifeline was awesome ,promise to be sober next time we speak,honest

cheers Mick

link

hehehe Mick, I knew it was you but thought I would spare you the shame by naming you whistling.gif

It was really nice to meet you too

I was a bit taken aback when a man I had never met came up and asked me if I was that girl off the internet, pardon? Are you Binty ? I was tempted to say I was Janine, good job I didn't as she arrived around 4am with Dave Abbott doing Dalek impressions. It was a very good night with lots of nice friendly people it's just a shame we live so far away.

link

Yes, and very good Dalek impressions they were, as everyone we showed guessed who we were. Except you :)

Great write-up Karen. We enjoyed Bury - albeit for the last 2 hours!

And the detour on the way home didnt detract either :D

Yes, and very good Dalek impressions they were, as everyone we showed guessed who we were. Except you  :D

Great write-up Karen. We enjoyed Bury - albeit for the last 2 hours!

And the detour on the way home didnt detract either  :D

link

I was asked on another list if the daleks would be touring other venues :)

Hi Karen you dirty stop out. Have you woke up yet? Me and Flinty want to know why we didnt get our pic posted - We still want to be famous.

See you soon

Paul

link

Didn't put them all up Paul as concerned about site space, we have already broken the server once :thumbsup:

Didn't put them all up Paul as concerned about site space, we have already broken the server once  :lol:

link

just so aware - still trying to suss just what caused it

either site too busy as in too many visitors - or something generated too much bandwidth

not really to do with space or such

still trying to suss it out but with forum and portal (main bit) seperated for now, should be ok :lol:

thanks for concern :thumbsup:

mike