Djing Cock Ups

at my last outing i started my set well then played two bad records one got stuck (solid middle ) and the other played at wrong speed , put me off my pace for the last half hour of my set , am sure I am not the only one with occasional technical hiccups  but went away and could see the 

other jocks thinking " plonker " .Please help me regain my confidence ,any ideas ????

Social source share

I remember doing my first 'big' do as it were in the mid 80's with Ray Rose and Kev Edwards and was terribly nervous, felt all eyes were on me etc - I had lined up to open with a Darryle Chin - Baja Pacifica 7".

Anyway I turn round to straighten my box up as Kev is finishing and he's on the mic - hands over to me - I give it a bit of blurb and hit the Start button.

Darryle Chin bangs out.....at 33 rpm.

Fecking Ray Rose had changed the speed just before I opened.

I died. :wink:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Over the years I've done them all, turned the wrong deck off, lifted the arm off the playing record, unplugged the decks, wrong speed pah ! that's nothing. There again I've averaged almost fifty spots a year for almost ten years, so It is going to happen. And any DJ who says they haven't done all these things is lying.

Get used to the fact that you will make mistakes. I always use the mic to take the piss out of myself if I've cocked up. It's better to get them laughing with you, than at you.

Yes Dave - learning to DJ is very like learning to drive - car crash after car crash :wink:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I think a few mistakes remind us there's a human behind the decks with their own records. Otherwise we may as well have a Jukebox playing. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Dancin Dave makes cd's skip and usually plays 2 at the same time but he's a top bloke , wouldn't do you a bad turn , remember we all have the right to make mistakes, making a mistake behind the decks is o.k not havin the decency to appreciate others is is a bigger issue, chill out and laugh about it , remember there are gaps in music.

Social source share

Tats & Rob Wigley re-wiring the CD players (left CD into right mixer channel & vice-versa) before my first ever Prestatyn set..........gits!! :D

I'm sure I've made loads.......some of course you can just about get away with......like playing the inst. side of Marc Evans "The Way You Love Me" 12".........some a bit more disastrous.

Fully agree with Matt.......as the saying goes, "a man who has never made a mistake never made anything!"

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

I've had to play on decks where the

Tats & Rob Wigley re-wiring the CD players (left CD into right mixer channel & vice-versa) before my first ever Prestatyn set..........gits!! :D

I'm sure I've made loads.......some of course you can just about get away with......like playing the inst. side of Marc Evans "The Way You Love Me" 12".........some a bit more disastrous.

Fully agree with Matt.......as the saying goes, "a man who has never made a mistake never made anything!"

Cheers,

Mark R

I had to play on decks with that configuration Mark, the whole set - verrry confusing after a pint or two. :wink:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've had to play on decks where the

I had to play on decks with that configuration Mark, the whole set - verrry confusing after a pint or two. :wink:

It's far from ideal Barry, but at least you've got half a chance if you know that's the configuration in the first place!! LOL

Cheers,

Mark R

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Playing the wrong track off the dreaded CD-R, with the track you wanted to play being so good that you stop the wrong track, declare your mistake etc, and play the right track.....when you could have got away with it!!

Caught on a recording that one, but you have to be able to laugh at yourself! ;-)

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Over the years I've done them all, turned the wrong deck off, lifted the arm off the playing record

Been there, done that, be surprised if anyone hasn't :)

Also, playing the wrong side is another one. Sure everyone will admit to that one as well :wicked:

Social source share

one memorable blip i had once was, i was playing one tune and was cuing the next one in, as the first one finished, somebody started chatting to me, so instead of putting it back in the box, after about a minute i put it back on the deck and played the same record again.

amazingly..some people kept on dancing :lol:

Social source share

one memorable blip i had once was, i was playing one tune and was cuing the next one in, as the first one finished, somebody started chatting to me, so instead of putting it back in the box, after about a minute i put it back on the deck and played the same record again.

amazingly..some people kept on dancing :lol:

You've got me there, that's the only one mentioned so far that I've never done. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Coming to a venue near you.......soon  ! :thumbup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

The worst time I had was when I had just got glasses and forgot to take them out with me. I literally couldn't read any labels in the poor light of the DJ space and had to guess them by colour and blobs of logos. I was as surprised as the dancers as to which record was next. :(

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

What always makes me smile, (and I've done it myself) is saying "the next record needs no introduction" then introducing it!!!

Des

There's someone out there who says 'kicking off with this one' for every record he plays. He's still 'kicking off' even with the last record. :)

Social source share

Lets be honest, most of us are record collectors first and dj's very much second! Some guys have a natural talent for djing and always sound professional

(my old mate Hippo from Cheltenham for one).

Every allnighter at Yate included at least one train crash behind the decks from me. But thanks to the aforementioned substance abuse (which was generally the cause), not many knew or cared!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Did a proper plonker move about a month back.

Weekend before the "error" was on at Nuneaton, all went well no hick ups, the following sat was on at Warrington Parr hall and for some reason, I know not what, I thanked the previous jock span the turntable,tunage kicked in, all was well and good until I got over excited and promptly did some crowd encouragement "come on Nuneaton!!" . . . Twat:-S

Dazz

Social source share

Pitching up and forgetting to pitch down again. Cuing up the left deck with the cross fader in the middle and the volume still up and of course hitting deck stop on a playing record.

The Devil made me do it as penance for having too many sherbets.. 

Social source share

I've made almost all the mistakes possible when DJing......prob my worst defect is trying to string an eloquent sentence together either to announce a tune or more recently to thank or introduce the preceding dj or next dj.

At times it's complete dung that comes out ma gob over the mic.

I've decided to keep it short an sweet or say nowt and just play tunes :-)

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

It's one of the reasons I don't do too many "local soul nights"/////All the DJs had names like "Budge", "Fudge", "Mudge and "Studge" and I couldn't tell one from the other :lol:

Know exactly what you mean Steve!

SmudgeX!

Social source share

Not in any of your lots league but remember going to a regular Thursday night do at the Gables Country Club in Theddlethorpe , Lincs. and me and a mate always used to go behind the decks of the two geezers who were doing the disco and have a look through their records. We must have got on their tits a bit to be honest , saying "can you play this " and "can you play that" , all boots & Motown stuff. This one night they decided they were both going to the bar and for a p*ss etc. and said "here you go Swifty , put on what you like :ohmy: .

Looked at my mate and said "oh shit" , dug out Little Darling - Marvin Gaye , put it on the deck as the next record then proceeded to press a couple of buttons on the mike (as last record was finishing) and said to my mate "How the fook do you turn this mike on " , yes it was already on and the whole place heard me :facepalm: , but the thing I never realised was that utter feeling of fear when the DJ's walked away , well done you proper DJ's . RESPECT !

Also got a last minute request to do a Motown night at my local Cons Club, thing was the only Motown I had at the time were UK Box Set & Loads of UK LP's , took them all and when I got there the DJ Unit was just 2 Decks with no lights , so had to put the records on with my lighter in the other hand as my eyesight is shite :hypo:

Swifty :unsure:

Edited by SWIFTY
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest kev such

Pulled a tune off the decks at The last Skegness. Aluminium centre got stuck, lifted the tune at either side and snapped it clean in half. Totally my fault for rushing.

Kev

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Was following a good mate and had just cued up my first tune and decided to just turn his record off half way through and then announce over the mic "that's enough of that shit lets have some proper music" his face was a picture and just about everyone in the venue laughed very loudly :-) Never have I djd before him since lol

Social source share

On the decks for Steve Cato at The Bedroom gig in that there London, coincided with Steve being filmed for that Channel 4 five min documentary. Mid way through my spot TV tech came and took his extension lead back. The whole system went off. Don't think many people noticed! Proper lost the floor at that point.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Lifted the arm off the record playing to a packed dancefloor at Tony's....could hear a pin drop until the whistles started....which made me look up.....realise woot i'd done....did big grin to all....and put said arm back down and motioned to carry on....which they did!!! Never forget that silemce.....and I din;lt hear it!!!!hehe!!!x I've always said....when i'm messing up...it's because i'm happy and chilled. In 25 years of DJing....like Dave Rimmer sez....i;ve done everything to cause meself grief and followed others trying to inflict grief through tampering!.....yawn! A 'DJ' is in control....end of.....even if it is chaos....it's organised or dealt with...or should be...!X

LUV
SOOTY
X

Phoning a friend at Blackburn........

blackburn_zpsc03ba63f.jpg

'i'm scaaaaarrrred and me ba**s are making me ar*e tingle...dunno wot to dooo'..........."get off the stage then tw*t!!"...i'd hope would be the reply!hehe!x

@@
~

Edited by SOOTY
Social source share

Did a proper plonker move about a month back.

Weekend before the "error" was on at Nuneaton, all went well no hick ups, the following sat was on at Warrington Parr hall and for some reason, I know not what, I thanked the previous jock span the turntable,tunage kicked in, all was well and good until I got over excited and promptly did some crowd encouragement "come on Nuneaton!!" . . . Twat:-S

Dazz

were you tempted to follow up with a  "Lets be havin' ya!!"  ?  :lol:   

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Over the years I've done them all, turned the wrong deck off, lifted the arm off the playing record, unplugged the decks, wrong speed pah ! that's nothing. There again I've averaged almost fifty spots a year for almost ten years, so It is going to happen. And any DJ who says they haven't done all these things is lying.

Get used to the fact that you will make mistakes. I always use the mic to take the piss out of myself if I've cocked up. It's better to get them laughing with you, than at you.

Yes Dave same as you done all the same ones you just have to laugh at yourself.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!