John Rhys And Lively Set

John Rhys was a significant figure in the Detroit sixties scene, and played on several 'northern hits'. He also brought out 'Nothing But Love' on Impact. I have read that he was originally from Wales. Does anyone have any good info on him - anyone from the North Wales scene perhaps? I have read snippets on SoulfulDetroit but nothing of much substance. Any info gratefully received.

Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Wasn't this the same as the Kadoo Strings? also was there a Vocal? Something in my subconcious suggest that there was, and it was the Tartans. I remember a track advertised as by the Tartans about the same time(mid 73 ish) so maybe it was just word association.

Apart from that, John Rhys certainly sounds like a welsh name :lol:

Paul

Social source share

Wasn't this the same as the Kadoo Strings? also was there a Vocal? Something in my subconcious suggest that there was, and it was the Tartans. I remember a track advertised as by the Tartans about the same time(mid 73 ish) so maybe it was just word association.

"Nothing But Love" released 3 times on Impact, boyo.

Vocal Tartans & Sisters brought to you by Mr Soussan.

Social source share

I remember a track advertised as by the Tartans about the same time(mid 73 ish) so maybe it was just word association.

John Rhys certainly sounds like a welsh name :lol:

John Rhys was the first professor of Welsh at Oxford University.

Whereas, the 'Tartans' were almost certainly from North of the Border.

:yes: Slainte!

Sean (Irish Extraction)

Social source share

Guest musicden786

John Rhys was a significant figure in the Detroit sixties scene, and played on several 'northern hits'. He also brought out 'Nothing But Love' on Impact. I have read that he was originally from Wales. Does anyone have any good info on him - anyone from the North Wales scene perhaps? I have read snippets on SoulfulDetroit but nothing of much substance. Any info gratefully received.

Dont know if you already have this info but in case you dont.

Think you will find that John Rhys was more involved in Blues than Northern. Having said that he did co-produce with Detriot musicians. He had spot in a Chicago Night Club were he sang live.

You will also find him on the Wingate Record Label. He did a lot of work, with others, on the early development of the acoustic echo chamber for Blues and Soul recordings, in and around The Mid West of the USA and Canada.

You could try contacting John Rhys Eddins at www.bluepower.co.uk for more finite details.

Sorry to say I dont know his place of birth.

Hope this helps.

Good hunting Denis.

Social source share

John Rhys-Eddins currently lives in California and has recently been in the studio with his old friend Matt Lucas (Baby You Better Go Go - Karen) working on new material as well as a couple of Golden World unreleased things. He was certainly a little bit more than "hired help" for both Harry Balk (Impact/Big Top etc) and Ed Wingate. He was instrumental in the building of the recording studio/equipment at what was to become Studio B and amongst the more obvious garage/blues/pop artists he wrote and produced for, he is also co- credited with writers credits for Time Will Pass You By - Tobi Legend. (For which he assures me he recieved royalties from Russ Winstanley's RKO reissue in the 70s). John's main love is the Blues and he is very accomplished musician (guitar), in that genre.

John has an abundance of stories and tales to tell of the music scene in sixties Detroit and some of them will hopefully appear in the new magazine "There's That Beat!" which sees it's first copy hit the US streets in August.

For more info on John and his current Blues orientated projects check out:

https://www.bluepower.com/

Tell him we setcha!

Regards,

Dave

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Edited by Dave Moore
Social source share

Guest musicden786

John Rhys-Eddins currently lives in California and has recently been in the studio with his old friend Matt Lucas (Baby You Better Go Go - Karen) working on new material as well as a couple of Golden World unreleased things. He was certainly a little bit more than "hired help" for both Harry Balk (Impact/Big Top etc) and Ed Wingate. He was instrumental in the building of the recording studio/equipment at what was to become Studio B and amongst the more obvious garage/blues/pop artists he wrote and produced for, he is also co- credited with writers credits for Time Will Pass You By - Tobi Legend. (For which he assures me he recieved royalties from Russ Winstanley's RKO reissue in the 70s). John's main love is the Blues and he is very accomplished musician (guitar), in that genre.

John has an abundance of stories and tales to tell of the music scene in sixties Detroit and some of them will hopefully appear in the new magazine "There's That Beat!" which sees it's first copy hit the US streets in August.

Tell him we setcha!

Regards,

Dave

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Hello Dave.

Thanks for filling in the gaps.

Looking forward to seeing the new mag.

Hope your not getting to much sun.

Denis.

Social source share

thanks for that Dave very useful.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!